Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Laguna Foundation

Opening Reception “Into The Fold” Oil and Acrylic Paintings by Angela Zocco Sturr

When
    Sunday, May 19th;3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
    Where Laguna Environmental Center, 900 Sanford Road, Santa Rosa CA
    Cost FREE
    Event Website Add to Google Calendar
    FREE - no RSVP necessary - light snacks provided. On display May 4 – August 27, 2019.

Artist Statement: The title of my show, "Into the Fold", refers to how my experience of training and becoming a Laguna docent has broadened my awareness of both the natural and cultural richness that is the Laguna de Santa Rosa. I am deeply grateful to have been welcomed into a community so committed to teaching and building a healthier environment for future generations. This art show is a celebration of the work that the outdoor education program called Learning Laguna is about. Learning Laguna docent volunteers lead students to explore the Laguna's water cycle, plant and animal adaptations, aquatic life, and bird migration through classroom and field activities. Along with finding inspiration in the flora and fauna, it is the tule weaving activity that speaks to me most about the history of the land. In this activity, a group sits together under a shade tent along the Laguna to weave a bird necklace out of the reeds. The bird being represented is an elusive wetland heron called the American Bittern. The children are asked to imagine themselves living in the Laguna before the changes made by our modern culture. We ask them to imagine how they might eat, sleep, and travel around. They realize how everything they might need to survive is all around them. The bending and folding of the simple plant material becomes something connecting past generations with present ones, many hands and hearts imagining the past and the future.

Artist Biography: Angela Zocco Sturr has taught art and ceramics from her Sebastopol studio for many years. She holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree and shows her work locally. She has been a longtime docent of the Laguna Foundation's Learning Laguna program, trained for numerous outdoor education programs with Landpaths and Stewards of the Coast and Redwoods, and completed the UC Naturalists program to become a California Naturalist. Finding long-term stewardship as a participant in the citizen science program Beach Watch, she gathers data monthly on South Salmon Creek Beach. Currently she teaches art and garden at Apple Blossom Elementary School. Website: http://angela-sturr.squarespace.com/

The Heron Hall Art Gallery exhibits three shows per year of nature-themed art. Sales support the Laguna Foundation. Hours: Monday-Friday 9am-5pm. Because of the various uses of the hall, please call in advance: (707) 527-9277 x.100.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-17-2019 at 01:41 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

Tags (user supplied keywords) for this Thread