Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Clayton Thomas Lynch

Occidental Farmers Market/ Change is inevitable... sooo

Occidental Rural Farmers... “Bizarre”?
    regarding recent cancellation of Occidental FarmersMarket...
    And of recent... re-”allowing” of 2019 Market...

Change is inevitable... Farmers know this best!
    I consider this... an “opportunity” to make things work a little better for everyone in the community.
    Be
    the change we wish to see...

Who's In?

Please Read fully, then “constructive” criticism only
    please.
    Principles
    ”for “Community” before personalities.

I went to school for business planning and developing w a Certificate of Completion and I learned a lot about business, business is business... and there to pay bills and get employees paid.

I want to first say to the business owners in downtown who pay taxes and fees for having availability of parking and freedom of movement of said space... YOUR RIGHT!
    And the Community has a right to have the ability to use “public space” for “community purposes”not just commerce...
    Which is why we are blessed to have a“Community Center”...sooo

What? Build a new foundation for Local Farmers and Artisans in The Occidental Valley... “Occidental Farmers Market” Bring back to The Occidental Community Center where it used to be and in 2010 was trying to be again...

*Co-Op governance
    *Bring more Farmers and Artisans out through The Occidental Valley
    *Maintain a Rural Character
    *Employee more locals
    *Year Long
    *Break up the booths and events throughout a greater Area in Occidental
    *Traffic Assistance
    *Electric Bicycle Rentals and Rickshaws

Where? Occidental Community Center/Occidental Art Center/(I believe the Art Center and that area could use a little more attention w The New Addition needing a little more support to get going) and Downtown Occidental“business” district.

Parking Lots of OCC and Occidental ArtsCenter and/or indoors?

And that's our two bits...
    Brought to you by The RRC “RuralRainbow Coalition”
    RRC w tax deductible donations as an official Unincorporated Association leading to eventual 501cstatus... we can currently receive donations up to $5000 annually.
    Contact below to offer help in anyway...
    Thank You Sincerely,
    Clay and BatBoy

NOTE: I could not paste the whole content here and the odt. doc would not attach...

So I will send to whomever wants to see the rest via email till I figure how to place it all here...
    Last edited by Clayton Thomas Lynch; 04-01-2019 at 03:57 PM. Reason: mis print
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    jbox

Re: Occidental Farmers Market/ Change is inevitable... sooo

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Clayton Thomas Lynch: View Post
    Occidental Rural Farmers... “Bizarre”?
    regarding recent cancellation of Occidental FarmersMarket...

While this post makes very little sense to me I am curious as to the reasons behind the cancellation of the Occidental Farmers Market. I thought it was a fun, well attended Friday evening event and haven't heard what the objections were and who was making the objections.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-03-2019 at 12:15 PM.

3. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

4. TopTop #3
    ChefJayTay

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jbox: View Post
    While this post makes very little sense to me I am curious as to the reasons behind the cancellation of the Occidental Farmers Market.....
    The local businesses (hypocritically) complained for years about the congestion and parking issues caused by the market.
    It happens with many farmers' markets, and in most cases I have seen the local businesses don't realize the benefits they get in advertising and people being in town. The temporary businesses at the market (if the county health department was competent) would be paying 2-3 times as much to operate than the brick & mortar operations in fees.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-03-2019 at 01:07 PM.

5. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

6. TopTop #4
    Dorothy Friberg

Well for one thing, they don't know what to do with their shit. The Occidental folk are shipping their waste via our county roads in LARGE trucks through Sebastopol's crowded streets and I'm sure they are paying a large price (as well as us) for it. I was in Occidental today and like Sebastopol has several storefronts for rent. Pretty soon the only vehicles we see on the road (besides our own of course) will be Amazon delivery trucks.
    While this post makes very little sense to me I am curious as to the reasons behind the cancellation of the Occidental Farmers Market. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 04-04-2019 at 11:08 AM.

7. TopTop #5
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

...I am curious as to the reasons behind the cancellation of the Occidental Farmers Market. ...
    Here's good report about its closing

Occidental farmers market to close

But all is not lost! Apparently, the market will rise again! Michael Stusser, the owner of Osmosis, posted these comments to Facebook last night:

Occidental Community Farmers’ Market update.

A group of business and community leaders in Occidental have come together to join the Sonoma County Certified Farmers’ Market Association with the purpose of reopening the beloved Occidental market this season.

The Sonoma County Certified Farmers’ Market Association is a non-profit corporation currently operating farmers’ markets in Sebastopol, Cotati and Sonoma. The Occidental chapter began with an interim board of directors, which formed on Monday.

The group formed in response to the outpouring of concern in the wake of the recent announcement to close the market. The intention is to enable local farmers and vendors to continue to sell their products in Occidental on Fridays throughout the summer season and sustain this historically significant community gathering. The interim board sees this as an opportunity to rally the community to improve all elements of the market with fresh ideas and new energy.

This includes addressing safety, parking and other issues through increased community involvement, communication and responsivity between the market and the community/businesses.
    A new website for the market is needed and the board is asking for input and support, as well as additional volunteers to assist with market launch and support. Those interested should email the board at the address below.

The board seeks to hire a market manager. Applicants can submit a letter of interest to [email protected] and a copy of the job description will be returned. Interviews will begin the week of April 8th. A meeting for farmers and vendors will be hosted in the near future.

- Board: Katy Mamen (Secretary), Andros Howes (Events), Chris Martin (Vice President), Andy Henderson (Treasurer), Michael Stusser(President)

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

9. TopTop #6
    jbox

Well, i guess that's the way things go....A few people, worried about their turf, bitch loudly about a good thing, The market gets overly offended and closes in a huff. Now it will be "resurrected", maybe, in a watered down way that tries to please everyone while losing the essential flavor that existed, and eventually it will probably fail. This is what passes for progress nowadays.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-04-2019 at 10:09 AM.

10. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

11. TopTop #7
    kane

Have you volunteered to help yet?

Well, i guess that's the way things go....A few people, worried about their turf, bitch loudly about a good thing, The market gets overly offended and closes in a huff. Now it will be "resurrected", maybe, in a watered down way that tries to please everyone while losing the essential flavor that existed, and eventually it will probably fail. This is what passes for progress nowadays.

12. TopTop #8
    jbox

Quote Posted in reply to the post by kane: View Post
    Have you volunteered to help yet?
    No, I'm not a farmer, or even an Occidental resident, just an occasional patron who enjoys the market.

13. TopTop #9
    robert777

This person responds to the resurrection of the Market with negativity. I don't understand that.

14. TopTop #10
    newclay

Hi folks, please understand, two things... I have been here 5 years... Spent most that time, energy and little money I make here...local. I am not wanting it to leave, contrair... I believe moving to Community Center and Art Center does alot of needed things here... The business owners have a valid "business" point... And really, there are alot of LOCALs... Live here... That just want to get a burrito and or go to store... Gonellas, Bohemian Market...the things they regularly do here while LIVING here. And this DOES create a bottleneck of traffic... Hence the "pedestrian traffic accident"... Fine... If there wasn't another whole part of town, called "Community Center" that is under utilized... Same party... Same fun... Same food... More opportunities... More safety... More "regular parking" for folks just trying to go through routine... It should meet all those in Communities needs... Really... Vision/Ponder it... There was never "the Community" involved in transition... Mostly the point.

15. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

16. TopTop #11
    jbox

Quote Posted in reply to the post by newclay: View Post
    ...If there wasn't another whole part of town, called "Community Center" that is under utilized... Same party... Same fun... Same food... More opportunities... More safety... More "regular parking" for folks just trying to go through routine...
    I'll respond to the two previous posts here. I disagree that moving the market to the Community Center parking lot will be a success. It's at one end of town away from the hub of vitality in Occidental. When I go to the Market I may want to do some shopping, stop in at Barley and Hops for a brew or dinner, or the same at Negri's or the Union. Today I was at the Fool's Parade and I got a burrito while I waited at the Mexican restaurant. If I'm all the way down at the other end of town I'm not going to do any of that stuff. Maybe I might go to the Post Office if I have a PO box there (I don't). Am I being "negative" here pointing this out? The town is way better off WITH the Market where it is, centrally located. Relocating it to the "under-utilized" side of town will hurt the town, the vendors, and the public that enjoys the current ambiance and energy of the Farmer's Market.

17. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

18. TopTop #12
    newclay

For the record... Need I say, am fully in agreeable w having a market... Full year and more actually... Expantion... I appreciate input and opinions... So gratitude for chiming in.. I am not sure why folks feel like that is soooo faaaar...lol. And why I suggested to have craft booths still downtown to keep momentum and rickshaws to make it convenient to get back and forth... Btw you only peddle one way. Seems it is helping some businesses and some say nay... And alot of "locals" it is a major traffic bottleneck to do simple daily chores... Again... And "the other side of town" which is in the red currently needs some commerce attention... Bless,

I'll respond to the two previous posts here. I disagree that moving the market to the Community Center parking lot will be a success. It's at one end of town away from the hub of vitality in Occidental. ...

19. TopTop #13
    newclay

Very much my point... Transition before the inevitable... Thank you...

20. TopTop #14
    spam1

] If I'm all the way down at the other end of town I'm not going to do any of that stuff.\
    Ok. I really, really can't tell if you are serious. It is three blocks. Three. Short. Blocks. Three very short blocks.

If you parked near the Union it would be -exactly- the same distance. It is not New York City, parking in Harlem and walking to Wall Street. It is not Santa Rosa, parking in Roseland and walking to 4th St. It is not even Sebastopol, parking at Lucky's and walking to the Theater. It is Occidental. Like parking at the front of your house and walking to the back.

But, if you were making a very dry joke...I'd have to say well done.

21. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

22. TopTop #15
    robert777

Having the Market in or near the Community Center would be a disaster. In fact, it has already been done and it was drab and totally unappealing. On a beautiful day, very few people would be interested in going there.
    It would likely hurt stores and restaurants used by market visitors in past years.

I believe a new Market is planned for this summer. We need a committee to work on issues like parking, bathrooms, and traffic safety. If one has begun, I'd like them to post something about possible meetings. Let us know what's going on.

23. TopTop #16
    photolite

Three blocks north and the ambiance is entirely different. It's the blend of town and market that is so much of the magic of the market.
    So yes, three, not so short, blocks makes a huge difference.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by spam1: View Post
    Ok. I really, really can't tell if you are serious. It is three blocks. Three. Short. Blocks. Three very short blocks....
    Last edited by Barry; 04-15-2019 at 07:37 PM.

24. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

25. TopTop #17
    Clayton Thomas Lynch

Build and they will...show up!... I get it... But if you hadnt noticed... things are breaking in society, cause folks dont know how to flow when the seasons change... at this point it seems only a few folks are making the calls anyway and this "effects everything!" in this Valley... Present and Future... We are just blowing fluff out here while they are "making the decisions"...again... "that effect everyone!" Where are the vendors in this... or more importantly, the Farmers... How to reach them all?
    -Clay and BB

Quote Posted in reply to the post by photolite: View Post
    Three blocks north and the ambiance is entirely different. It's the blend of town and market that is so much of the magic of the market.
    So yes, three, not so short, blocks makes a huge difference.

26. Gratitude expressed by:

27. TopTop #18
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Town rallies to save the Occidental Farmers Market
    By Laura Hagar Rush, Sonoma West Editor, [email protected] Apr 17, 2019 Updated Apr 18, 2019

A group of local businesses and community members in Occidental is working together to bring back the Occidental Farmers Market.

They are partnering with the Sonoma County Certified Farmers’ Market Association, which operates farmers markets in Sebastopol, Cotati and Sonoma, with the purpose of reopening the beloved Occidental market in June.

The new organization, which calls itself Occidental Community Farmers Market, is not related to the group that previously ran the market — and in fact, relations between the two are strained. The board of the new group includes Osmosis Day Spa owner Michael Stusser (president), Chris Martin (vice president), Andy Henderson (treasurer), Katy Mamen (secretary) and Andros Howes (events).

“We have put together an enthusiastic and capable board to work to find a way to reopen the market,” said Stusser. “We have a representative from the local businesses, a farmer, someone from Occidental Arts and Ecology, a musician and a long-term Occidental family person. We are determined to get the market open, and right now we are working through the permitting requirements, setting up a new website and finding vendors.”

According to Stusser, the group formed in response to the outpouring of concern in the wake of the recent announcement to close the market.

“Our intention is to enable local farmers and vendors to continue to sell their products in Occidental on Fridays throughout the summer season and sustain this historically significant community gathering,” Stusser said.
    Continues here

28. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: