Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Pres. Candidate Jay Inslee calls for ending the Filibuster to pass climate legislation

Pres. Candidate Jay Inslee calls for ending the Filibuster to pass climate legislation in this interview with Chris Hayes.

What do you think of that??

I'm watching Gov Jay Inslee carefully because he is making clear fighting climate change is his number 1 priority. I don't know if he has what it takes to be president, but I contributed to his campaign to make sure he gets into the debates.

While I think we have a good shot at winning the Senate with at least 51 seats, I highly doubt we'll get the 60 seats needed to override a filibuster. So if we want to get anything big soon, such as a strong climate bill or Medicare for All, we'll need to get rid to the legislative filibuster (aside from 1 reconciliation bill per year)

The problem is that when we lose the House and Senate, which will happen again, the Republicans can go back to destroying the planet and the economy. On the other hand, while McConnel has shown surprising resistance to Trump's call to remove the filibuster, the day will probably come that he, or his successor, will drop it just like they dropped it for Supreme Court picks. So we might as well do it first!?!

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    podfish

Re: Pres. Candidate Jay Inslee calls for ending the Filibuster to pass climate legislation

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    [IMGR][video=youtube;w9Fv89UxjLg] So we might as well do it first!?!
    tempting, but I think the instincts of those who created a slow-moving system were correct. Inertia is our friend more often than it gets credit for. If two sides are fighting over the steering wheel while we're careening down the icy hill, things aren't going to go well. Even if you briefly get things pointing the right way, the counter-reaction may well send you over the edge.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

4. Gratitude expressed by: