Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: Drug Prices
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    OldGranddad

Drug Prices

I'm an old man with Medicare Part D drug insurance. I shop at Safeway Market pharmacy. One of my prescriptions results in an $80.03 co-pay. They sell that drug for $225.69 cash. I recently found COSTCO sells it for $21.69 cash. I later found a website, goodrx.com, that allows me to print coupons at no cost to me so that Safeway pharmacy will sell it for $15.72 cash. Unbelievable is the only printable word that comes to mind. Needless to say, I no longer shop at Safeway.

At first glance, it seems the insurance company would insist I buy the drug for less, as that should mean they'd also pay less, since both pharmacies are in their network. Not so, evidently. The only explanation I can dredge up is, there is a conspiracy to commit fraud perpetrated by the US Government, Big Pharma, the insurance companies and the pharmacies and aided and abetted by the high percentage of citizens who don't register to vote and those who are registered, but don't vote. Yes, the 1% have 99% of the power, but the 99% have 99% of the votes. Unfortunately, more than half of these are wasted.

Wake up America, let's get money out of politics so our congresspersons can consider what's best for the country rather than for their large donors. At the very least,get out and VOTE!

Old Granddad
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Shandi

Re: Drug Prices

It always pays to shop around for the best price, especially when you're a low income senior like us. I've come to the point where I suspect conspiracy to commit fraud at every corner, especially on seniors.

Every senior needs a medical advocate, but they may only be available for a price. Even so, it may save money in the long run. I haven't researched this, but I have a young friend on MediCal who had one while she was being treated for thyroid cancer. This advocate went to appointments with her at no charge.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by OldGranddad: View Post
    I'm an old man with Medicare Part D drug insurance....

4. TopTop #3
    Karl Frederick

Three years ago I had a similar experience, and found that it is not just Safeway offering very reduced drug prices if you have a coupon to use. A coupon reduced the price of my prescription from $150 to less than $20. Well worth the search, and, yes, it highlights the unfair pricing problem people encounter if they don't have the knowledge, skill, or opportunity to go online.

I think the library would have many customers for a price research service at the reference desk.

... One of my prescriptions results in an $80.03 co-pay. They sell that drug for $225.69 cash. I recently found COSTCO sells it for $21.69 cash. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 11-01-2018 at 09:37 AM.

5. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

6. TopTop #4
    pdfender

I discovered https://www.goodrx.com/ years ago. It's great. Now I have a good policy with my husband's work, but next year I'll go on Medicare and that will change.
    #VoteBlue

... I later found a website, goodrx.com, that allows me to print coupons at no cost to me ...
    Old Granddad
    Last edited by Barry; 11-01-2018 at 10:46 AM.

7. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

8. TopTop #5
    Shandi

I've been on Medicare, MediCal, Senior Advantage at Kaiser for 10+ years, and I have no monthly premiums, and my medicine co-pays are $2.50 at the most.

When I was checking out after my hip surgery 10 years ago, I expected a bill; there was none! It was completely covered. Prior to that surgery, I had applied for "Special Help" with Kaiser, since I was low income. This was prior to the plans offered under Obama.

I got my glasses at Kaiser, after checking prices at Walmart and Costco, and with the Medicare co-pay they cost about $100 every two years.

I've had counseling with the best therapist I've seen in my life, and it's free. I've also had free physical therapy classes.

I feel very fortunate to have these benefits as a low income senior. There are programs that I haven't taken advantage of, mostly because I don't want to drive to Santa Rosa. I only did that when I was getting iron injections for anemia, earlier this year.

It would be great to know how other low income seniors navigate the various health systems available to them. Let's continue to share what may help others!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by pdfender: View Post
    I discovered GoodRX years ago. It's great. Now I have a good policy with my husband's work, but next year I'll go on Medicare and that will change.
    #VoteBlue

9. Gratitude expressed by: