Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    brighidsdaughter

LOVABLE 18 month - 2 Year old Mastiff mix PUP NEEDS FOREVER HOME (cat free)

Name:  Tamu2.JPG
Views: 868
Size:  191.2 KB

The backstory: I rescued him from the Martinez shelter before they had done a behavior assessment or tested him with cats. I am a huge Mastiff lover, so I didn’t let it deter me. After two months of attempting to work out a peaceable living situation with my cat, I’ve sadly realized it is not going to work. I would love it if he could stay local.

He would thrive in a home with active people who adore big, goofy dogs and who will be responsible about taking him to an obedience class and engaging him with other dogs in safe ways that help him build skills with other dogs. Only those with experience re: Bully and/or Mastiff breeds will be considered. These breeds are very strong-willed and need good and kind leadership. Using punitive methods can create aggression, so the commitment needs to be positive based training methods. He’s neutered, vaccinated & microchipped. Now, his behaviors. The good & bad …

The good:

• Loves to cuddle, have belly rubs and ear massages
    • Crate trained
    • Loves humans, both men and women. Very friendly.
    • Super smart, super trainable & treat motivated
    • Walks well on leash and doesn’t pull
    • Loves to chew vigorously on marrow bones
    • Loves to chase & throw around Kongs full of treats
    • Enjoys playing ‘soccer’

Recent training milestones:

• Waits exuberantly & mostly patiently for his meals at a down or sit & doesn’t go toward his food until he’s given the command “OK”
    • I’ve been ‘charging’ the word “YES” for appropriate behaviors (behaviors I want)
    • Greeting behaviors with humans are much calmer (I’ve had to train the humans)
    • MUCH less heel & lower leg nipping when aroused or bored. A lot of exercise has mostly taken care of this unfortunate behavior.

The difficult:

1. Chases cats or any other running small creature when off leash. The leash & re-direction help control this behavior, but this is not a dog meant for a home with cats. He has a predatory drive that makes him unsafe around small creatures (this may include small children).
    The rest of these can be remedied with dedicated training (I already have one he’s working with and her fees are reasonable) …

1. Hard to get his attention in the larger world. He’s a bit hyper-vigilant out in the big world which shows a lack of early socialization.
    2. Doesn’t have boundaries between his body and other bodies. Is slowly learning the parameters of his body vs. other bodies.
    3. Over-exuberant greeting behaviors with other dogs.
    4. During play with other dogs he has a hard time knowing when to stop (continues to pester, nip haunches, put leg(s) on top of dogs). He NEEDS to play hard, but he needs to listen to boundaries. He needs a well-matched playmate.
    5. Scared to get his nails trimmed.

Call 707-318-0981 or Email ([email protected]) if you can make a lifetime commitment to this dog.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    juna

Re: LOVABLE 18 month - 2 Year old Mastiff mix PUP NEEDS FOREVER HOME (cat free)

Your post clearly shows you care about this dog very much ...especially finding him a good home and owner match. I know you will succeed.
    *I have kitties so sadly cannot adopt this cutie!
    Last edited by Barry; 10-25-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

4. Gratitude expressed by: