Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #61
    Jeff Snook

Re: Huge industrial cannabis proposal near Graton

'Us' are doctors, lawyers, teachers, and law enforcement.

We are accountants, farmers, students, parents, plumbers, baristas, merchants, vintners and musicians.

We are the majority of Sonoma County residents.

We understand cannabis and are thankful for it.

We understand many of our neighbors are living in the good ol' days when cannabis was 'devil weed' and could be blamed for all manner of social malaise.

Opponents of cannabis have been trying to eliminate cannabis for decades and have consistently failed.

This is no different and we understand that. We are playing the long game, and we always win.

We shall fight in the cafes, we shall fight in the council chambers, we shall fight on the ag fields and on the bike paths, we shall fight in the editorials, we shall never surrender.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by luke32: View Post
    Trying to understand - who is "us?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #62
    O.W.

Doghairnancy, you are totally correct that our local government has sold us out. When Permit Sonoma planners working on the cannabis regulations openly call themselves TEAM 420, you know the fix is in. When the supervisors appointed cannabis committee is 17 industrial cannabis members to 3 community members, you know the fix is in. When the same group changes the regulation from 1 acre to 10 acres minimum to make sure cannabis is corporatized (screw the little guys), you know the fix is in. When the county makes cannabis cultivation not part of the "right to farm" ordinance and allows wine (the other legal drug) to be ag protected, you know the fix is in.

Has anyone seen the big Hwy 101 billboard advertising cannabis delivery in Petaluma? Phase 2 is cannabis tourism so get ready for even more tourism.

These same people are working on the Local Coastal Plan right now. Last time our local government worked on the plan (LCP), they wanted to open up the coasts to event centers, wineries, tasting rooms and massive tourism. Silly us for thinking these guys have your best interests in mind. As the saying goes, "if you're not at the table, you are on the menu". Big cannabis took all the seats.....after the wine industry ate all the food.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by doghairnancy: View Post
    This is not business as usual. We don't know what this is going to become. But we do know this is not food and it's not grown outdoors. It's something 'recreational' with the potential to have a massive impact on our lives, possibly greater than the wine industry, with all its negatives. We've been sold out to big business by our federal government. We aren't going to take a sellout like this by our local government.

4. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

5. TopTop #63
    ChefJayTay

I really don't think people on this forum have a clue what "big cannabis" is.
    Do you people even know that Canopy Growth (CGC), Cronos Group (CRON), Tilray (TLRY), Aurora Cannabis (ACB) and Aphria (APHA) exist? How about MedMen or Green Thumb Industries?
    Did you know, for the most part, they AREN'T HERE?

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #64
    Shepherd

I received the following yesterday:
    On Dec 10, 2018, at 9:21 AM, Chris Gramly [email protected] [graton_neighborhood_news] <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Everyone,
    I am responding to multiple people here for efficiency and also in one thread to keep things simple (I hope). I’ve had a hard time getting this message to post for some reason.

Joseph - Thank you. I think that productive dialogue is the most important thing, regardless of what happens or doesn’t happen. I appreciate your comment.

Barbara - Thanks for your thoughtful comments. I really appreciated what you shared and the way you communicated your thoughts - well received! I would love nothing more than to have the trails be part of the parks if the parks were protected from toxic spray on agricultural land. I wish I were optimistic about such a move, but I think that would be a battle that we would lose as this is strongly defended under the federal law and the right to farm and the amount of acreage effected would be much more than the small parcel at the end of Railroad/Edison St. I’ve not heard of anyone being able to overcome this hurdle.

Bess/Kip - I am sure that some people have reactions to smells from cannabis, just as many people are allergic or have reactions to molds, dust, pollen, etc. What I don’t get is how this outweighs the fact that all humans (and animals) have detrimental health effects from the pesticides, fungicides and herbacides being sprayed on non-organic agricultural land, including the parcel at the end of Railroad/Edison when it was a pumpkin farm. Should we to knowingly harm everyone to avoid causing reactions for a small minority? Anna highlighted the issue to this list a few months ago about what the pumpkin farmer was spraying on the fields, her note is below for more info:

> 1a Pesticide and fungicide use article with local references
    > Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:47 am (PDT) . Posted by: "Anna Ransome"
    > https://winecountrygeographic.blogsp...ility.html?m=1
    > This article has a link to a list of who is using a deadly carcinogenic fungicide called Mancozeb. To quote, “Pesticide Action Network classifies Mancozeb as a Bad Actor - i.e. seriously bad stuff - and a carcinogen, developmental and reproductive toxin, and a probable endocrine disruptor. It's highly toxic to fish. The National Academy of Sciences urged the EPA to ban it starting in 1987, calling it one of the most potent carcinogens in agriculture.)”
    > https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Nrk...ew?usp=sharing
    > Scroll down in above link to find our local pumpkin grower, Michael Gutzman, at #s 108-119. In 2017, 126 pounds were applied on the parcels along the West County Trail between Grey St. and Occidental Rd. I witnessed the spraying myself. Have you or your family members eaten or handled these pumpkins and winter squash?
    > The reports aren’t in for 2018, but they were spraying again this year.
    > We are surrounded by Dutton vineyards that were sprayed in 2017, but the article indicates that they stopped using it that year. The 2018 records should reveal any local usage whenever they are available.
    > Anna

It is a serious concern to me what has been and will be sprayed on those fields because my house is a few hundred feet from the edge of the parcel, many of you are even closer. Shouldn't we be talking about this? I agree that there are folks who have negative reactions to the smell of cannabis, but there is little question that we all have health consequences to the use of harmful pesticides, fungicides and herbicides being used, whether we are aware of it or not - even the ones that are perfectly legal to use under the right to farm.

Chris Getchell - You mention that Graton would be better without this proposed development. Can you elaborate on this? Do you have any opinions or concerns on the use of toxic herbicides, fungicides and pesticides on this parcel and how that impacts the trail? Regarding the traffic, buildings, etc. - I will say again that my understanding of the CUP process involves public feedback and input and we as a community have a right to address our concerns and ask for what we want. These issues can be addressed in the CUP process (if we ever get back to it). If you don’t want buildings, tell the owners you don’t want buildings. If you don’t want 30 parking spaces then how many are acceptable? "None" is not a fair answer, but there can be compromise and dialogue. In my opinion I believe it is better to try to negotiate this project to become something that is acceptable rather than take the risk of returning to some commercial agriculture farm that is in fact harming all of us legally.

Change can be difficult, I often find myself resistant to it in different areas of my life but I do try to embrace it and try to keep an open mind whenever possible. My belief is that many years from now we will be looking at open fields of cannabis with no fencing and no issues just as we see vines everywhere. Right now that is tough to picture or imagine, but I believe that is where we are headed - and I could be wrong. I would really love to hear from people what their feelings are about the use of harmful chemicals bordering our community and the trail. Maybe the majority of people are not concerned about this issue, but I’d love to hear what people think..

The reality remains, we have a say in what evolves in this cannabis project, but for commercial agriculture we have no say. Why not take advantage of the opportunity in front of us and see if the owners are willing to negotiate on the sticking points that people have? I have talked to numerous people and I keep hearing, “I have no issues with the cannabis, that doesn’t bother me. What bothers me is …..”

What bothers me is the use of toxic chemicals on the edge of our neighborhood that negatively effect the health of everyone living here and every single person that uses the trail. Does this bother anyone else?

Thanks, Chris, Posted by: Chris Gramly <[email protected]>

Last edited by Barry; 12-11-2018 at 10:52 PM.

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

9. TopTop #65
    Dorothy Friberg

None of the proponents of this project has addressed the possibility of crimes committed in and against the mary jane industry. How many people need to be killed or ripped off to know that CAREFUL PLANNING needs to be implemented for the protection of all citizens, not just pot heads.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-11-2018 at 10:53 PM.

10. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

11. TopTop #66
    doghairnancy

What a puerile pile of overwrought rubbish to suggest that people in this county are naive about cannabis. This isn't 1920. Most of us are well acquainted with the substance and the issues. We voted to legalize cannabis so that it could be regulated, monitored and taxed. But few of us want to live or recreate next door to a big grow operation, legal or illegal. We've seen the negative impacts the wine industry has had on the land and the water and the roads. We've seen it buying off our supervisors to quietly issue permit after permit. So don't tell us we don't understand what's going on.

12. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

13. TopTop #67
    Jeff Snook

Everybody has talked and talked about cannabis and crime. You just don't hear what you want to hear and so think that there is no discussion.

Please outline for everybody exactly what CAREFUL PLANNING would you like to see.

Also try to do it without the demeaning characterization of cannabis. It is called cannabis sativa! Not mary jane, or pot or dope or any of the other insulting terms your wizened brain can remember.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dorothy Friberg: View Post
    None of the proponents of this project has addressed the possibility of crimes committed in and against the mary jane industry. How many people need to be killed or ripped off to know that CAREFUL PLANNING needs to be implemented for the protection of all citizens, not just pot heads.

14. Gratitude expressed by:

15. TopTop #68
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Sonoma County restricts cannabis operations near bike, pedestrian trails amid opposition

HANNAH BEAUSANG
    THE PRESS DEMOCRAT | December 11, 2018,
    8:31PM

The Sonoma County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday approved a setback requirement governing cannabis operations near county bike and pedestrian trails, further limiting areas where marijuana can be cultivated.

The move came before an overflow crowd amid opposition from a proposed west county cannabis business and advocates who say it creates additional confusion and excessive regulation for marijuana proprietors.

Some residents who live near the trails or use them described the move as one that protects those public spaces as parks.

Supervisors’ unanimous vote made that policy official when it comes to buffers between county trails and pot businesses. The county now will require 1,000-foot setbacks from such trails. Exceptions are granted on a case-by-case basis.

Supervisors set the rules about public parks in October, when it became clear that setbacks required between cannabis operations and parks didn’t apply to the county’s trail system for bicyclists and pedestrians.

“This is not an actual change to the ordinance, if it were it would go through a much longer process,” Supervisor Lynda Hopkins said. “This is the first time we’ve had an opportunity to affirm that we do in fact have a majority of the board supporting that parks are trails.”

Lawyers representing Jack Buck, who applied for a cannabis farm near a portion of the West County Regional Trail in Graton, made a public call for Hopkins to recuse herself. They accused her of bias based on her family’s ties to a wine company and of previous coordination with opponents to the project, claims that Hopkins has rejected.

Caryl Hart, a longtime parks advocate and the former director of Sonoma County Regional Parks, said those bike paths are “linear parks.”

“Every single use is consistent with the use of all the other regional parks,” she said.

Continues here

16. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

17. TopTop #69
    Dorothy Friberg

Who is 'everybody'?

Better planning than you have taken in consulting the neighborhood where you propose your project
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Jeff Snook: View Post
    Everybody has talked and talked about cannabis and crime. You just don't hear what you want to hear and so think that there is no discussion.

Please outline for everybody exactly what CAREFUL PLANNING would you like to see....
    Last edited by Barry; 12-12-2018 at 07:36 PM.

18. Gratitude expressed by:

19. TopTop #70
    Dorothy Friberg

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Jeff Snook: View Post
    ...Also try to do it without the demeaning characterization of cannabis. It is called cannabis sativa! Not mary jane, or pot or dope or any of the other insulting terms your wizened brain can remember.
    My experience of "the product" relates back to the late '60s and '70s when Thai sticks and Panama Red were the 'bees knees' and pot was what we smoked. What was demeaning was when I was convicted of a felony in Wyoming for possession of ONE JOINT (oops is joint out of your range of intelligence?) which felony still exists on my record. The result is I have trouble finding reasonable employment. Maybe I should go into the 'pot' business.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-12-2018 at 07:38 PM.

20. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

21. TopTop #71
    Shepherd

This cannabis operation is at the north entrance to Graton. This info was posted by Patricia Dines. Merrilyn
    On Dec 15, 2018, at 10:07 PM, 'P. Dines' [email protected]

Hi all -

The next five days are our LAST CHANCE to express our concerns about the "proposed" commercial cannabis facility at Green Valley and Ross Roads! This proposal is DIFFERENT than the pumpkin patch site and is NOT solved by the recent Supervisors ruling about bike trails. It's in an area surrounded by neighborhoods -- where folks (including children!) live, play outside, and walk and bike on and to bike trail. If it's allowed, it would also set a precedent that would allow more of these intensive facilities in our area and next to other neighborhoods.

The fate of this proposal will likely be decided AT THE HEARING this Thurs. 12/20. This is our ONLY chance to be heard. This is a critical moment! The permit itself would be for five years, and the County has been doing a horrible job of notifying people of what's going on and how they can participate.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:
    1) SEND A LETTER EXPRESSING YOUR CONCERNS. Ideally do this by Monday, or at least BEFORE 12/20. Send it to [email protected]. Refer to: 9100 Green Valley Road, Sebastopol; UPC17-0017. It's great if you can please also send a separate or bcc copy to me at [email protected], so that I can see what other people's priority concerns are. Also, feel free to forward this to others who are concerned.

2) ATTEND THE HEARING, to visibly show your concerns. It’s Thurs. Dec. 20, 1:05pm, at the PRMD, 2550 Ventura Avenue, Santa Rosa. County staff and the applicant will present their views, and the public can make brief comments if desired (2 to 3 minutes each). The BZA panel will likely make a decision then.

3) CONTACT ME if you have any questions or want to participate more. [email protected]

They call this facility "proposed," although it's already operating and already impacting those of us nearby, with pungent penetrating resinous odors causing health effects such as a rash on my face (!) -- 24/7 noise and vibration from motoers and fans -- and attraction to crime (with a break-in already here, and neighbor break-ins elsewhere inthe county). It's also a clear risk to property values and salability, and a precedent that would allow more of these impacts in our neighborhood, and neighborhoods like this. This is not just a little pot. It's an intensive commercial grow facility.

And any of this could easily get worse, if there are not sufficient controls on this permit. I make the argument that this facility shouldn't be here at all,because the Supervisors decided they don't go in neighborhoods because of their known impacts. This is in a little light industry zone, but surrounded by residential. And I don't think that these issues can be solved here. But at the very least we need strong conditions on the permit.

Each letter they get makes a big difference. It shows that people are concerned. The recent victory at the Board of Supervisors regarding intensive cannabis production facilities and bike path shows the difference the people in action can make. I hope that we can do the same here! (In case you're wondering, that recent ruling doesn't apply to this facility.)

Many of us aren’t against cannabis. It just needs to be produced in appropriate ways and locations. The remedy here is what the Supervisors already concluded: These facilities shouldn’t be in residential areas, to protect people in their homes. We hope that the BZA panel will apply that principle here.

> I've enclosed information about my concerns below, if that can help you with talking points.

I welcome your thoughts! Thanks for your consideration of this - Patricia

==== ACTION ALERT ====
    URGENT ACTION: “PROPOSED” COMMERCIAL CANNABIS FACTORY at Green Valley & Ross Roads. Please Help Protect Our Homes & Neighborhood!

Dear Our Neighbors ~
    Now is a critical time for us to act regarding the “proposed” commercial cannabis facility in our neighborhood— and influence the rules for this one and future ones that might be proposed in this area.

Numerous neighbors are concerned about the facility that’s currently “proposed” at 9100 Green Valley Road, on the corner of Ross Road. It’s actually been operating for quite a while — before any public hearing and approval of its plans — or even public notice that it was operating!

We get our only chance to address this now — by writing letters stating our concerns — and/or by going to its first and only hearing on Dec. 20. At the very least, please send a letter, ideally by this Monday, or at least BEFORE this Thurs. 12/20!

OUR CONCERNS

COMMERCIAL CANNABIS FACILITIES DON’T BELONG IN NEIGHBORHOODS
    * The Supervisors decided not to allow them in residential zones (per the cannabis ordinance)
    * This facility is in a tiny light-industrial zone surrounded by residential areas
    * A key purpose of land use regulations is to protect people from incompatible uses
    * But the line on the zoning map doesn’t protect our homes from this use!

THE KNOWN IMPACTS OF COMMERCIAL CANNABIS FACILITIES INCLUDE
    * 24/7 motor and fan noise and vibration (in a zone that used to only have it during business hours)
    * Safety/security risks to neighbors (because the cash and portable pricey product attract criminals)
    * Security measures with their own impacts (such as high fences, bright lights, and secrecy)
    * A penetrating ongoing resinous odor that can get stuck in clothes and impact our health
    * Reduction in property values and salability. (We’d have to disclose these negatives to buyers!)

WE’RE ALREADY EXPERIENCING THESE IMPACTS HERE. And they could easily get worse!

THESE CONCERNS LIKELY CAN’T BE REMEDIED AT THIS SITE.
    A discussion of permit conditions and what’s possible should’ve been required before the facility started operating. Instead, they’ve been operating without telling us, and now are pressuring us to just accept it.

IT’D BE A PRECEDENT BRINGING MORE FACILITIES & IMPACTS, HERE & BEYOND
    Allowing this intensive production facility in our neighborhood sets a precedent that would allow (even encourage) more cannabis and 24/7 noise on this small strip, multiplying the impacts on our everyday lives.

>> CONCLUSION: Many of us aren’t against cannabis. It just needs to be produced in appropriate ways and locations. The remedy here is what the Supervisors already concluded: These facilities shouldn’t be in residential areas, to protect people in their homes. We hope that the BZA panel will apply that principle here.
    ==========================================

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

1) CRIMINAL ACTIVITY. Commercial cannabis cultivation sites are known to attract criminal activity, because they tend to have lots of cash (because of banking laws) and an easily portable and valuable product. There was already one break-in at this facility (in August), with a well-lit midnight chase of the perpetrator down the bike trail. What if that person had tried to hide in a neighbor’s home? Elsewhere in the county, criminals have gone to neighbors’ houses in error, and been violent with those residents. Contrary to claims, this risk still exists if a facility goes legal —and might be increased, because its location is public (to support our right to know). The neighbors are still at risk from this type of facility. We have a right to object to this.

2) 24/7 NOISE. This facility is already generating 24/7 motor and fan noise and vibration, taking from us the refuge of peace and quiet in our homes. This issue isn’t even mentioned in their application. They also would be allowed to have staff working 24/7. This little light-industry strip used to have noise only during business hours, which was a way to balance the needs of the two zones. This change would throw off that balance, imposing on residents’ lives to benefit this business. It would also set a precedent for more noisy businesses to follow.

3) PUNGENT RESIN IN THE AIR. People are smelling a strong penetrating smell coming from this facility. We’ve experienced it getting into our clothes and homes, and being linked to notable health impacts (to eyes, sinuses, and face). What are the long-term effects? Why are we being forced to be the experiment? The owners in their application claimed that their “sealed rooms [are] containing the odor.” But, when asked, they offered no evidence for that (such as filters rated to block all cannabis particles, or sensors able to detect it). They claim without evidence that smells must be from elsewhere. But the smell peaks at their place from both directions!

4) UNKNOWN BUILDING MODIFICATIONS. The operators haven’t even created their new building plans. What if they create more capacity, noise, and smell? How can this be approved with these unknowns?

OTHER KEY POINTS

1) THE OPERATORS’ CHOICE TO OPERATE BEFORE HAVING A PUBLIC HEARING SHOULD NOT PUSH US TO OK THEIR PROPOSAL. Unfortunately, they’ve been pressuring us to allow this installation because they are already operating. But actually that’s part of the problem — they chose to start operating without informing us, with no prior public process that included our needs. This is still a “proposed” project. We’re finally getting to have our say.. This needs to be decided as if it weren’t already operating.

2) IT’S NICE THAT THE OPERATORS SAY THEY’LL “WORK DILIGENTLY TO ELIMINATE OR REDUCE ANY NOISE OR ODORS” (10/19/18 letter). But it doesn’t prove they can or will eliminate them.

3) THIS FACILITY DOESN’T BELONG IN THIS LOCATION AND SHOULD BE REJECTED. The operators seem affable. But that’s not a reason to give them this permit. Also, unfortunately, they’ve deflected rather than addressed issues such as smell and noise. Plus, while their eco-principles are positive, most of these are actually already required by the state and County anyway and/or were likely chosen because they provide them significant economic savings in an intensive operation. (They mentioned both factors in their choices.)

Of greater concern is their extreme secrecy about this project with us neighbors. They operated for many months without informing us. And, when the PRMD sent its 10/10/18 Notice of Hearing Waiver, the operators actually wrote to ask us NOT to request a hearing. This would’ve taken away our right to finally have our needs included. Also, the business’ owners can change — and already have since the application was submitted.

>> So we can’t base this decision on whether these individuals seem pleasant, or because they ask us to care about their needs at our expense. We have a right to object to this facility’s impacts on us. And, even if you’re OK with this facility here, we have a right to request conditions on the permit.

Please feel free to contact me to share your letters and experiences! You’re also invited
    to help with these efforts. Just email [email protected]. Together, we are stronger!

This document was created to pull together various neighbor concerns and offer
    information to support neighbors’ participation in this process.

22. Gratitude expressed by:

23. TopTop #72
    karenm97

omg, "children!!!" "Not in my backyard!" "Let them grow people's medicine somewhere else!" Maybe you folks should advocate for a monoculture vineyard instead. Or just spray it all down with pesticides yourselves.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    ...The next five days are our LAST CHANCE to express our concerns about the "proposed" commercial cannabis facility at Green Valley and Ross Roads! This proposal is DIFFERENT than the pumpkin patch site and is NOT solved by the recent Supervisors ruling about bike trails. It's in an area surrounded by neighborhoods -- where folks (including children!) ...

24. TopTop #73
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

How about a bit of transparency?

For those of you who support the Graton cannabis proposal:

Do you have a financial interest in the cannabis business (this project or otherwise)?

25. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

26. TopTop #74
    doghairnancy

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MikeH: View Post
    The real question is should the current ordinance be scrapped; and if so replaced by what? ...
    I think most of us don't want the character of West County to be whipsawed by whatever the big money is in. We are fed up to our eyeballs with wine and all its bullshit. And we can see that, unless there are a very limited no. of cannabis permits (unlike what our supes have allowed with wine), that will become a second monoculture with all the attendant environmental and social problems.

Pretending that this is about 'medicine' and that we meanies are depriving sick people of their 'medicine' by wanting to control where and how much is grown is a real crock. People can call cannabis anything they want and drag in all the convenient anecdotes, but it's still mostly about MONEY, 'recreation' and bringing in more 'tourists'.

I, for one, want any and all 'ag' to have to as little negative impact on the land and on those of us who have lives we've worked hard for here as possible. Besides limiting permits, there should be requirements for planting meaningful native hedgerows, limiting chemicals, limiting fencing for wildlife access, limiting parking spaces and buildings and 'events' for starters. All the things we should have demanded before the grapists took over.

27. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

28. TopTop #75
    ChefJayTay

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    ...Do you have a financial interest in the cannabis business (this project or otherwise)?
    None whatsoever.
    I'm just tired of the nimby crying. There are bigger fish to fry.
    The major players in the industry are at most using Sonoma for marketing. It just doesn't make financial sense to be producing somewhere with such high costs of real estate and operation. So I doubt the majority of these concerns will even be an issue in 5 years.

Edit: Additionally, I HATE unnecessary laws. They lead to bureaucracy & unnecessary restrictions.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-17-2018 at 12:25 PM.

29. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

30. TopTop #76
    Jeff Snook

Boo hoo!

You and about a million other citizens of this United State have been punished for using cannabis.

You don't express empathy for the people who have been wronged, you attack cannabis.

Boo Fucking Hoo to you!

... I was convicted of a felony in Wyoming for possession of ONE JOINT ...

31. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

32. TopTop #77
    Jeff Snook

Wrong in so many ways.

Cannabis is almost 40 acres and wine is 60,000+ acres.

If you are not aware of the restrictions on cannabis you should find out because you are just perpetuating the bullshit that has become common language for the no-cannabis cabal.

Where do you get your info?
    I think most of us don't want the character of West County to be whipsawed by whatever the big money is in. We are fed up to our eyeballs with wine and all its bullshit. And we can see that, unless there are a very limited no. of cannabis permits (unlike what our supes have allowed with wine), that will become a second monoculture with all the attendant environmental and social problems. ...

33. Gratitude expressed by:

34. TopTop #78
    kane

is there a link to a Map?
    Proposal?
    Last edited by Barry; 12-18-2018 at 12:33 PM.

35. TopTop #79
    Dorothy Friberg

It's more greed than medicine.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by karenm97: View Post
    omg, "children!!!" "Not in my backyard!" "Let them grow people's medicine somewhere else!" Maybe you folks should advocate for a monoculture vineyard instead. Or just spray it all down with pesticides yourselves.

36. TopTop #80
    Dorothy Friberg

No sweat, Big Tobacco will soon be taking over the industry and all this bickering will just be tinkling bells on the back porch.

The real question is should the current ordinance be scrapped; and if so replaced by what?...
    Last edited by Barry; 12-18-2018 at 12:34 PM.

37. TopTop #81
    Shepherd

The following article from the NY Times is about the skunk smell of cannabis farms. Perhaps this might reduce the rampant tourism, which is taking over our county.

‘Dead Skunk’ Stench From Marijuana Farms Outrages Californians https://nyti.ms/2R1nUhh

Quote Posted in reply to the post by kane: View Post
    is there a link to a Map?
    Proposal?

38. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

39. TopTop #82
    ChefJayTay

No sweat, Big Tobacco will soon be taking over the industry and all this bickering will just be tinkling bells on the back porch.
    Wow... You really are ignorant on this subject. Big tobacco is interested in tobacco. Phillip Morris is on record as uninterested in due to international politics.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-22-2018 at 11:29 AM.

40. Gratitude expressed by:

41. TopTop #83
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

42. Gratitude expressed by:

43. TopTop #84
    Dorothy Friberg

Well, I'm thinking, the wine industry will find a way to liquify it and sell it bottled. After all, they've already done it with apples.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-23-2018 at 10:40 AM.

44. TopTop #85
    Dorothy Friberg

Thank you, my ignorance is exceeded only by your own .

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ChefJayTay: View Post
    Wow... You really are ignorant on this subject. Big tobacco is interested in tobacco. Phillip Morris is on record as uninterested in due to international politics.

45. TopTop #86
    ChefJayTay

Altria... Sold PM years ago.
    The cigarette industry makes their money in the middle East and Asia. They can't take the political hit.
    Juul is a TOBACCO vape company.

46. TopTop #87
    ChefJayTay

Note that USA at the end? It's not PM International.

47. TopTop #88
    ChefJayTay

Quote Philip Morris [...] The overseas Big Tobacco firm said it "has no plans to develop or commercialize cannabis products." Similarly, Altria, which owns Philip Morris USA and spun off Philip Morris International a decade ago, said "Marijuana remains illegal under federal law and Altria's companies have no plans to sell marijuana-based products."
    https://www.investors.com/news/marij...nabis-inhaler/

48. TopTop #89
    doghairnancy

Have you wondered why the PD has virtually ignored the pushback against Cannabis production in the county? For those who don't know Darius Anderson's and his brother Kirk's stories, the following link explains it all. As usual, just follow the money.

SOS is a Bennett Valley group that is fighting the massive number of grows taking over burned lots.

https://www.sosneighborhoods.com/news/uncategorized/did-you-know-how-the-dominant-north-bay-media-company-was-connected-to-the-cannabis-lobby-read/

49. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

50. TopTop #90
    karenm97

I'm confused about this. I skimmed and it's sort of too long to find a quick answer to my questions: Isn't there a thing where outdoor cannabis farms have to be on land that's zoned as agricultural (and indoors on industrial properties?). Are there a lot of burned lots in Bennett Valley? Or where are the burned lots that are zoned ag that are getting (how many) permits for these operations?

I guess that I do know of one farm that seems to have gone out of produce and into a "different direction," but that's just one and it's not in BV and is zoned for ag...

Cannacraft is the owner of Care by Design and Absolute Extracts, right? Their products are medicinal. Where should their products be grown? Extracted? I have a friend who worked at one of the places that does extraction and handled their products somewhere between 1 and 3 years ago and it was not in this county, so I'm curious how much of the stuff that's in this article still happens in-county and how much of a problem that is now.

Thanks for anyone's help answering these questions.

Meanwhile, let's get some more monoculture vineyards and spray them down with toxic chemicals, shall we? Maybe some more event venues on secluded country roads... those folks are clearly seen as much better neighbors to have in one's expensive backyard that for what it's worth should have only the "right" kind of neighbors even though if one wants the right kind of neighbors it seems more sensible for one to find a compatible cohousing community to live in and try to mind their own business. Really.
    Have you wondered why the PD has virtually ignored the pushback against Cannabis production in the county?...
    Last edited by Barry; 12-25-2018 at 11:45 AM.

51. Gratitude expressed by: