Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Moon

Dreaming of Bali?

Traditionally, the Balinese have believed that heaven was just a continuation of Earthly life, only with people who have made the transition before you. Capitalism has changed that; read on.

Report on a study by a group that Care2 names only as "a prominent animal rights group," possibly to keep its leaders from being assassinated:

"100% of the 26 venues investigated last year which owned captive elephants, tigers, dolphins or civet cats did not meet the basic needs of wild animals in captivity. Additionally, most of these animals were treated with abject cruelty and many forced to work around the clock doling out tourist favorites such as dolphin swims, elephant rides or orangutan selfies... Dogs were being killed by the hundreds and being sold to unsuspecting tourists as chicken."
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    KittyW

Re: Dreaming of Bali?

As shocking as it is to our 1st world sensibilities, treatment of animals is not the same all over the world.

As terrible as it can be, I would not condemn the beautiful culture and people of Bali for trangressions of a few.

I dare say that the industrial farm industry right here in the US causes far great suffering for far greater numbers of our furry, feathered and water-dwelling brethren and sisters.

That said, I am leaving for Bali soon. I can vote with my transactions -- which will not support the activities with the captive animals you mention. And if I am offered these activities, I will make it clear that I do not support them or wish to take part. And why. The more people who refuse to take part, and are vocal about it, the better.

I recently saw an incredibly moving documentary called "Love and Bananas" which exposes treatment of elephants in Thailand, and tells the story of an extraordinary Thai woman who grew up in a family that owned a tourist elephant ride camp. She is now devoted to saving elephants. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Look for Love and Bananas.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Moon: View Post
    Traditionally, the Balinese have believed that heaven was just a continuation of Earthly life, only with people who have made the transition before you. Capitalism has changed that; read on.

Report on a study by a group that Care2 names only as "a prominent animal rights group," possibly to keep its leaders from being assassinated:

"100% of the 26 venues investigated last year which owned captive elephants, tigers, dolphins or civet cats did not meet the basic needs of wild animals in captivity. Additionally, most of these animals were treated with abject cruelty and many forced to work around the clock doling out tourist favorites such as dolphin swims, elephant rides or orangutan selfies... Dogs were being killed by the hundreds and being sold to unsuspecting tourists as chicken."
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email