Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    nicofrog

Upcyle state of the arts for sonoma county?

It has come to my attention that there is no resource in
    Sonoma county for materials and plastic ,and wood sculpture (toys)
    to be creatively re-used .

San Francisco has "Scrap" oakland has the "creative re-use depot"
    and "the creativity center" we used to sort of have "Garbage Re-Incarnation" ol' recycletown at the dump but it fell to waste under "needs to make money" restrictions and is now just a furniture diversion program. good but lame compared to the need.

the new guidelines on recycling make it clear that nothing under four(4") inches is to be recycled
    that includes millions of marbles, toys, balls, and bottle-caps and small objects such as pens pencils lighters hair ties
    shavers ,toothbrushes,combs ,kitchen ware etc etc etc etc etc etc etc......
    all theoretically going to LANDFILL.

I say Theoretically for an important reason ,"GARBAGE" haulers and recycle companies are free to sell this stuff to china etc.
    there it can be BURNED as smog (fuel) for generating electricity. With only .01 % pcb output (enough to eventually destroy whats left of our atmosphere)
    even some states are proposing this as a "Green" alternative!!omg

or just "lost at sea" oops the container slipped overboard.... Not too much Sonoma Marin trash really makes it to the sea but maybe we could still set the example for others of how to creatively divert some of this madness

A LOT of these small objects are very brightly colored and as an artist I am keenly aware of how expensive good colorants are especially RED ORANGE Purple ,and Green. hardware by the tons as well.. copper and brass do not respond to magnets.

eventually humans if they live long enough will be mining for these things in dumpsites toxic waste and all.

The sad truth about all this is that the recycling companies hire Hispanics to sort all the trash and recycling now, and many many people can't get it to know or care that squiggle florescent bulbs are extremely toxic contain mercury and cheap masks do not adequately protect people from this massive exposure.

So what we don't care about is harming people daily.

I am seeking people and programs interested in filling this gap left by the wondrous and better than ever Recology company etc.

anybody got any ideas suggestions programs people??
    any Burners with creative imaginations and ready to start a yard?
    yes there are thrift stores who discard about 20 quarts a week of this stuff (mixed with gold ,money ,jewels ,expensive bits and pieces etc)every week .
    support your local thrift store (there's too much stuff) we could build houses out of it.
    Nico
    Last edited by Barry; 05-13-2018 at 09:20 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Shandi

Re: Upcyle state of the arts for sonoma county?

Nico, Have you contacted San Francisco and Oakland to see what resources/information they might offer? Also, do you know about the place in Petaluma on E. Washington Blvd. that builds sculptures for Burning Man? Seems like they use all kinds of items to decorate these giant sculptures. Here's some pictures I took last year.

Name:  116.JPG
Views: 1101
Size:  57.3 KB

Name:  117.JPG
Views: 1101
Size:  67.4 KB

Name:  118.JPG
Views: 1071
Size:  53.8 KB

Quote Posted in reply to the post by nicofrog: View Post
    It has come to my attention that there is no resource in
    Sonoma county for materials and plastic ,and wood sculpture (toys)
    to be creatively re-used ....
    Last edited by Barry; 05-14-2018 at 11:10 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    nicofrog

yes great post THANKS ;all the METAL sculptors are really happening in this county
    I love that and Metal is fully recyclable.

and I do not work much with it

so I am interested in seeing who cares (if anyone) about the huge resource river that is going dumpsterville
    while everyone is busy not noticing..

not so much so we can have more to make with(most "RE-CYCLE" artists already have way too MUCH stuff to work with) I am interested in helping to develop and conscience and eventually a SPACE where very viable materials can be stored and supplied to schools and museums for art projects etc. events like parades can suddenly develop a need for huge ridiculous amounts of odds and ends that are useless the rest of the year . etc.

Nico Morris https://www.facebook.com/Nicolas.Morris.sebastopol/media_set?set=a.10204327932900338.1073741836.1289823981&type=3

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    ...Also, do you know about the place in Petaluma on E. Washington Blvd. that builds sculptures for Burning Man? ....

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #4
    nicofrog

UPDATE ((wow it's been awhile and under the new company RECYCLETOWN is thriving again (just went) and the dump is better too!))

use that service buy their stuff and take your up-cycleables there!!

PLEASE carefully consider your waste stream, know that all liquids and powders are TOXIC in landfill . especially fluorescent lights that are also nasty sharp when they break.

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: