Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valley Oak

Support Sonoma County: Support "Go Local"

(Message removed because of formatting problems.
    Please don't cut and paste email newsletters into WaccoBB posts.
    The technology is not compatible. Thanks! ~ Barry )
    Last edited by Barry; 04-17-2018 at 09:08 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    SonomaPatientsCoop

Re: Support Sonoma County: Support "Go Local"

While I love the idea of "Go Local:... it is a deeply flawed program...

As it was envisioned- there was a credit put on your card that would be redeemed at the next purchase. So if you used it at, say Smothers or a participating auto repair shop- you might end up with a $100 or more "credit" that the next store you shopped at had to cover...

A lot of stores have evolved to not swipe it at all- simply give a small discount...

And if I'm correct- one of the main people behind this has now taken over the Sonoma County Growers Alliance. And in a reality where most of the cannabis industry has been blocked out...has turned it into a version of the classic "chamber of commerce". ie- a conservative group whose only interest is profits for the businesses they represent.

I wih "Go Local" could make this work for the consumer, the community, and for businesses. But I don't see this happening.

And FWIW- I was an early adopter. And as it was implemented I saw it hurting businesses I love.

3. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

4. TopTop #3
    Valley Oak

I had no idea that the "Go Local" project was so deeply flawed. It sounds like no one should participate in it.
    Thank you for your posts elucidating on Go Local. I will no longer support them and tell people from now on that they should not participate in it because it is a bad program.

Sorry again and thank you again,

Edward

5. TopTop #4
    janeenmmm

My name is Janeen Murray and I'm co-manager of Sonoma County GO LOCAL and have been so for the last 9 years along with Terry Garrett. I welcome anyone to speak directly with us. There are incorrect statements on this thread and so I'll clarify a few:

*GO LOCAL's mission: is to shift market share to locally owned businesses for a stronger local economy and community. While our programs have grown over the years, our mission is the same: to help locally owned businesses of all shapes and sizes gain market share and success.

*Rewards: Of over 450 business and organization members in GO LOCAL, around 160 of them offer some kind of local thank you discount for shopping locally with the GO LOCAL Rewards Card. Of those, around 45 of them "swipe" the card for trackable rebates and loyalty rewards. This has been the same proportion for years now. When a cardholder shops at a merchant offering GO LOCAL Bucks rebate, they can never earn more than $25 in GO LOCAL Bucks at a time on their card (never $100).

*Community Market: is a member of GO LOCAL. They decided to stop offering a Reward to their customers, but never had to pay anything back to GO LOCAL for it and is a member in good standing. The Rewards Card program is free to use by merchants and cardholders, provided as a free community service with no income to anyone.

*Sonoma County Growers Alliance: is a member of GO LOCAL. For a 3-month period in 2017, co-manager Terry Garrett provided consulting services to SCGA to help in their restructure. It is common for us to provide consulting services as needed to GO LOCAL members. Both GO LOCAL and the SCGA have crusaded relentlessly on behalf of locally owned, small businesses.

As always, GO LOCAL welcomes input and the opportunity for direct conversation. Our contact info is on our website.

6. Gratitude expressed by 4 members: