Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shandi

Update for Re-entering neighborhoods, Debri Removal/Clean Up SC Meeting Oct 19

Sonoma County Fires Community Meetings
    Thursday, October 19, 2017

Re-Entering Neighborhoods, Debris Removal and Clean Up, and Shelter and Temporary Housing Update

The Federal Government, State of California and local governments have a comprehensive cleanup plan and will be identifying licensed contractors to safely remove ash and debris in a manner that protects public health and safety. Property owners need to sign a Right of Entry form to allow hazard assessment personnel access to their property. Right of Entry forms will be available on the Sonoma County Website and at Thursday’s Community Meetings.
    Published: October 18, 2017 at 5:00 PM

SANTA ROSA, CA – Local, state and federal governments are working together to facilitate the repopulation of Sonoma County neighborhoods that have been damaged or destroyed in the fires, including the safe removal and handling of burn debris and ash. While residents are eager to start cleaning and rebuilding their homes, property owners should exercise caution and use proper protective equipment when handling any ash or hazardous materials from their property. Improper handling and disposal can be harmful to property owners, children and the general public. While small scale sifting through ashes to locate any remaining personal items will not impact residents' ability to get financial assistance, private large scale removal of debris and ash should be coordinated with government officials prior to removal.
    Re-entering neighborhoods, the overall community cleanup process including debris and ash removal, and housing options for residents in the coming months will be discussed at two Community Meetings tomorrow – Thursday, October 19.
    Time:
    1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
    126 First Street West Sonoma, CA 95476
    Time:
    6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
    1235 Mendocino Ave
    Santa Rosa, CA 95401

The public meeting will include plenty of time for questions and conversation from residents.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Hot Compost

Re: Update for Re-entering neighborhoods, Debri Removal/Clean Up SC Meeting Oct 19

From experience working with powders in a metalworking shop -

When cleaning up these kinds of materials, ALWAYS WATCH THE POWDER, as it wafts through the air like smoke.

I find the best way to do that is, work on the project involving the dusty material, in the sun. Or something similar like a really bright light.

MAKE SURE your air intake passages are NOWHERE NEAR that flume of amazingly fine powder that gets suspended in air.

It's safe to work around materials like that, with a big IF - if you hold your breath. And are appropriately detail minded - if it gets on your shirt, and then wafts up into your breathing air, that's no good either.

I have a feral cat situation that involves setting traps and frequently releasing skunks. I think my record so far is getting sprayed 3 times in 1 week.

I mention it because, besides the welding mask and make-shift biohazard suit I wear, I always hold my breath when I'm releasing a skunk from the trap.

Then hold my breath while I walk about 50 feet away, so that I'm out of the "cloud" that a skunk creates when it does spray.

I mention the skunk because they are sort of similar. Handling dusty burned objects is very do-able - if you treat it like a skunk that might spray you.

Save your Lungs for the Good Stuff !!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

3. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: