Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Dogenzip

On Roundup and Glyphosate

How many of the studies concluding Roundup (glysophate) is safe and not carcinogenic are funded by Monsanto? Same situation exists for Generically Modified Organisms. Glysophate has been conclusively identified by many peer reviewed scientific studies as seriously harming health and the environment. Summary of this research can be found at:
    https://www.i-sis.org.uk/Why_Glyphos..._be_Banned.php.

A brief summary of studies carried out by researcher not paid for by Monsanto have shown the following:
    Evidence of harm to health

• Monsanto and the European Commission (EC) have known about birth defects since the 1980s. Industry studies found statistically significant skeletal and/or visceral abnormalities as well as reduced viability and increase in spontaneous abortions in rats and rabbits exposed to high doses of glyphosate. Lower doses were later shown to cause dilated hearts. The EC dismissed all the findings.
    • Independent studies have since found caudal vertebrae loss in rats treated with sub-lethal doses of the herbicide; as well as craniofacial abnormalities, increased embryonic mortality and endocrine disruption, abnormal onset of puberty, and abnormal sexual behaviour and sperm count in male offspring of mothers exposed during gestation.
    • GM soybean-fed female rats gave birth to excessive numbers of severely stunted pups, with over half of the litter dead by three weeks, and the surviving pups were sterile.
    • Non-mammalian animals exposed to glyphosate resulted in increased gonad size, increased mortality, craniofacial abnormalities correlating with abnormal retinoic acid signalling, and reduced egg viability.
    • In vitro exposure to glyphosate resulted in endocrine disruption and death of cells of the testis, placenta, and umbilical cord.
    • A long term in vivo study on rats found females exposed to Roundup and/or Roundup Ready GM maize were two to three times as likely to die as controls and much more likely to develop large mammary tumours, while males presented large tumours four times controls and up to 600 days earlier.
    • Clinical data from Argentina are consistent with lab findings of increases in birth defects and cancers in regions with large areas cultivating glyphosate-tolerant soybean.
    • Endocrine disruption has been observed in both in vivo and in vitro studies in the laboratory, including abnormal levels of testosterone, aromatase enzyme, testosterone and oestrogen receptors, leutinising hormone, follicle-stimulating hormone. Endocrine disruption can lead to cancers and reproductive problems.
    • Epidemiological studies have found links to cancer including non-Hodgkin lymphoma and increased plasma cell proliferation. Cancer rates have risen in in glyphosate-use zones in Argentina. Lab studies found significant increases in interstitial cell tumour incidence in rats as well as skin tumour-promoting activity. Numerous lab studies including those performed by industry showed glyphosate damages DNA of cells in culture as well as in humans living in glyphosate-sprayed regions of Argentina. Non-mammalian studies found defects in cell cycle checkpoints and DNA damage repair machinery. DNA damage is a major prelude to cancers. AMPA, the glyphosate metabolite, also has genotoxic effects.
    • Neurotoxicity effects include Parkinsonism have emerged following acute exposure. Exposure to glyphosate resulted in oxidative stress in lab animals and death of neuronal cells, correlating with Parkinsonian pathology. Acute exposure in fish resulted in acetylcholine esterase (AChE) inhibition. An epidemiological study linked glyphosate -exposure to Attention-Deficit-Hyperactive disorder in children, a disorder associated with AChE inhibition. The original neurotoxicity studies carried out by industry were ruled invalid by the US Environment Protection Agency and urgently need re-examining by independent scientists.
    • Internal organ toxicity has been documented in animal feeding studies with glyphosate-tolerant soybean. Rats suffered kidney abnormalities including renal leakage and ionic disturbances, and liver pathology including irregular hepatocyte nuclei, and increased metabolic rates.
    • Acute toxicity of glyphosate is officially declared low by government agencies; however agricultural workers have reported many symptoms including skin irritation, skin lesions, eye irritation, allergies, respiratory problems and vomiting. Ingestion of large volumes causes systemic toxicity and death.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by luke32: View Post
    Here is some relatively new information regarding the recent labeling of glyphosate (RoundUp) as a probable carcinogen ..
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

3. TopTop #2
    luke32

Re: Use of chemicals confirmed at strawberry stand

All, or over 90%, of the studies used by the federal government to register pesticides are funded by the registrant - in this case Monsanto. The studies are conducted by independent labs. The results are reviewed by scientists in EPA and, very often, by teams of scientists from academic institutions. This has been the procedure since 1972.

As background, when one checks Wikipedia for "Science in Society", a UK based group, one finds that one of the authors of the publication which Dognzip linked to, Dr. Mae Han-Wo, (deceased) has been accused of "pseudoscience" and "SIS" has been placed on the Quackwatch list ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mae-Wan_Ho )

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    O.W.

Every week there are exposes on the collusion of the US government and Monsanto. Last week it was this: “Poison Papers” Snapshot: Transcript Illustrates EPA Collusion with Chemical Industry. Here is a link on a local website you can read it but was in Reader Supported News and many others.

Our life spans are going down except for the rich in this country. I firmly believe it is due to all the pollutants we are exposed to. Go ahead and use the stuff, I consider it a kiss of death. The main testing lab in the US that do over 1/3 of the testing have been caught totally fudging their results. Great read on the further colonization of our country by corporations.

Excerpt: As of today, those documents and others that have been collected by environmental activists will be publicly available through a project called the Poison Papers. Together, the library contains more than 200,000 pages of information and “lays out a 40-year history of deceit and collusion involving the chemical industry and the regulatory agencies that were supposed to be protecting human health and the environment,” said Peter von Stackelberg, a journalist who along with the Center for Media and Democracy and the Bioscience Resource Project helped put the collection online.

www.independentsciencenews.org

Quote Posted in reply to the post by luke32: View Post
    All, or over 90%, of the studies used by the federal government to register pesticides are funded by the registrant - in this case Monsanto. The studies are conducted by independent labs. The results are reviewed by scientists in EPA and, very often, by teams of scientists from academic institutions. This has been the procedure since 1972.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-31-2017 at 05:52 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

7. TopTop #4
    american dream

If you has seen, as I have, large numbers of honeybees, a whole hive's worth, staggering in circles in the street, disoriented and unable to fly - certainly doomed - after anyone in the vicinity has sprayed RoundUp, you wouldn't consider it safe.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-31-2017 at 05:52 PM.

8. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

9. TopTop #5
    Shepherd

Former Sebastopol Grange president Jerry Allen just sent out the following email, with a link on the importance of probiotics for overall health and as a defense against the substantial damage that RoundUp has been proven to do to human, animal, and plant life.

Hi Friends,
    I found this an interesting article that points to how important probiotics are for gut and overall health and how important it is to stop eating gut biocides like Round Up.
    Best,Jerry

Stunning scientific discovery finds that gut bacteria control your brain chemistry, altering moods and more –NaturalNews.com

Stunning scientific discovery finds that gut bacteria control your brain chemistry, altering moods and more
    --
    Jerry Allen
    Last edited by Barry; 07-31-2017 at 05:54 PM.

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #6
    Shepherd

More evidence that RoundUp kills, just like cigarettes, is at the link below. Kill yourself by using it, if you please, but please do not support RoundUp by those who use it and deny that they use it. If you want to be guilty, fine, your choice, but do not endanger the innocent children, elders, and others with health issues by supporting RoundUp.

THIS Food Can Cause Cancer Just Like Cigarettes Can
    Last edited by Barry; 08-01-2017 at 10:08 PM.

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #7
    Shepherd

More evidence on that evil corporation Monsanto and its deadly RoundUp follows. I hope the design for promoting a RoundUp wine comes through.

Monsanto is scrambling to bury this breaking story - don't let this go unshared!

Monsanto is scrambling to bury this story. And just think our beloved wine country is the biggest user of this dangerous herbicide.
    love, Carolyn

p.s. I am going to hold a blind taste test of great California wines - and since ALL California wines have glysophate in them (including organic biodynamic wines)…why not introduce a new wine made with 100% PURE glysophate ? Might as well go for the real thing.

My First Swag at the Design for our Bold NEW Wine.
    Last edited by Barry; 08-02-2017 at 01:41 PM.

14. TopTop #8
    O.W.

Just read your link Shepherd and was SHOCKED. I know that Germany did a study a few years ago and found almost everyone had glyphosate in their urine. Mom's group found it in breast milk, in childhood vaccines. These guys need to be stopped! Make the CEO's drink the stuff, I don't want it.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    More evidence on that evil corporation Monsanto and its deadly RoundUp follows. I hope the design for promoting a RoundUp wine comes through.

Monsanto is scrambling to bury this breaking story - don't let this go unshared!
    Last edited by Barry; 08-03-2017 at 12:59 PM.

15. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

16. TopTop #9
    Ronaldo

Recent NY Times article:

Monsanto Emails Raise Issue of Influencing Research on Roundup Weed Killer
    By DANNY HAKIM
    Documents released Tuesday in a lawsuit against Monsanto raised new questions about the company’s efforts to influence the news media and scientific research and revealed internal debate over the safety of its highest-profile product, the weed killer Roundup.

The active ingredient in Roundup, glyphosate, is the most common weed killer in the world and is used by farmers on row crops and by home gardeners. While Roundup’s relative safety has been upheld by most regulators, a case in federal court in San Francisco continues to raise questions about the company’s practices and the product itself.

The documents underscore the lengths to which the agrochemical company goes to protect its image. Documents show that Henry I. Miller, an academic and a vocal proponent of genetically modified crops, asked Monsanto to draft an article for him that largely mirrored one that appeared under his name on Forbes’s website in 2015. Mr. Miller could not be reached for comment.

A similar issue appeared in academic research. An academic involved in writing research funded by Monsanto, John Acquavella, a former Monsanto employee, appeared to express discomfort with the process, writing in a 2015 email to a Monsanto executive, “I can’t be part of deceptive authorship on a presentation or publication.” He also said of the way the company was trying to present the authorship: “We call that ghost writing and it is unethical.”

Continue reading the main story
    Last edited by Barry; 08-03-2017 at 01:34 PM.

17. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

18. TopTop #10
    Runningbare

The dam of lucrative fake science is rupturing, and the lies are gushing out aplenty now:

Docs Reveal Monsanto's Attempts to Influence Reports About Roundup
    Last edited by Barry; 08-03-2017 at 01:45 PM.

19. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

20. TopTop #11
    luke32

It's good to read something from a credible news source. Thanks for posting.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ronaldo: View Post

21. Gratitude expressed by:

22. TopTop #12
    Shandi

Re: On Roundup and Glyphosate

Just got this is from Food Babe.com:

"There are a couple of breaking stories that I want to make sure you know about…

Newly released emails show how Monsanto infiltrated a scientific journal and persuaded them to retract a published study which revealed tumors on rats who were fed GMOs and Roundup. This has been coined the "Seralini Study", which Monsanto has attacked since its initial publication in 2012. Over the years, many people have been misled to believe this study was a farce. This is one of the reasons why the dangers of GMOs coupled with Roundup continues to be questioned by the press and public. Monsanto will do anything to cover up the health risks of using their chemicals.

The website Forbes just ended their relationship with writer Henry Miller after discovering that Monsanto ghost-wrote his article that was trying to downplay the cancer risk of Roundup. Forbes took the article down from their website yesterday but you’ve got to wonder how many people it misled since that article was up for over two years. Nowhere in the article did Miller disclose his relationship with Monsanto, nor the fact that they wrote for him! Monsanto admitted to the New York Times, “Our scientists have on occasion collaborated with Dr. Miller on other pieces” - so this wasn’t an isolated incident. Miller has been writing pro-GMO articles for Forbes for over 10 years.

Who else at Forbes is hiding conflicts of interest like this? I have my own hunches on that.

This is a good reminder to be our own health advocates and pay close attention to who is writing what we read. Look into who they are, who funds their work, and what types of claims they’ve made in the past. This is something I do when reading health-related articles – and in today’s age of political and industry propaganda and manipulations, it is imperative that we all take this step.

And lastly, the “fact checking” website Snopes gets caught making untrue statements again..

After I outed the website Snopes.com for trying to squash the lab results showing Roundup in products like Cheerios, Stacy’s Pita Chips and Ritz Crackers, a member of the Food Babe Army forwarded me a copy of an email response they received from Snopes. See my tweets to Snopes here and here… feel free to retweet them! It’s shocking a “fact checking” website like Snopes would make such defamatory statements about me and what we do here at Food Babe.
    As you can see, there are some serious detractors that do not want the truth about our food to be heard and these are just a few examples. It’s thrilling for me to see these relationships exposed, and I’m working on a HUGE project on this topic that I can’t wait to reveal to y’all in coming months. Until next time…
    Xo,
    Vani
    P.S. Earlier this week I asked you to share one ingredient that you NEVER eat - and got hundreds of responses. Make sure you chime in here!"

23. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: