Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

NY Times article on Sonoma County Cannabis Business

Marijuana Industry Presses Ahead in California’s Wine Country
    By THOMAS FULLERMARCH 18, 2017

SANTA ROSA, Calif. — In the heart of Northern California’s wine country, a civil engineer turned marijuana entrepreneur is adding a new dimension to the art of matching fine wines with gourmet food: cannabis and wine pairing dinners.

Sam Edwards, co-founder of the Sonoma Cannabis Company, charges diners $100 to $150 for a meal that experiments with everything from marijuana-leaf pesto sauce to sniffs of cannabis flowers paired with sips of a crisp Russian River chardonnay.

“It accentuates the intensity of your palate,” Mr. Edwards, 30, said of the dinners, one of which was held recently at a winery with sweeping views of the Sonoma vineyards. “We are seeing what works and what flavors are coming out.”
    Sonoma County, known to the world for its wines, is these days a seedbed of cannabis experimentation. The approval of recreational cannabis use by California voters in November has spurred local officials here to embrace the pot industry and the tax income it may bring.

“We’re making this happen,” said Julie Combs, a member of the Santa Rosa City Council, who is helping lead an effort to issue permits to cannabis companies. “This is an industry that can really help our region.”

Of the many ways in which California is on a collision course with the Trump administration, from immigration to the environment, the state’s enthusiastic embrace of legalized and regulated marijuana may be one of the biggest tests of the federal government’s power.

Continues here
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    SonomaPatientsCoop

Re: NY Times article on Sonoma County Cannabis Business

Hmm... I don't have much I really want to add to this..other then Sam has been a regular at the county, SCGA, and CGA meetings. Clearly involved, and I'll add from some of his comments at such meetings his interests seem to be as much if not more about the interests of "the industry" then his own self interests- which I applaud.

That said... the main photo in the NYT article [see on right]- seems to show a sulphur burner hanging in the greenhouse while plants are in full flower. A sulphur burner should never be used past vegetative state (sadly, that is NOT common practice here) . Maybe just laziness- but the sulphur burner should have been removed 5+ weeks before that photo was taken. It has no place there at that stage.

I'm not saying it was being used, dog knows I've seen people leave them hanging until harvest even though they weren't being used. But it will be interesting in 2018 when all cannabis has to be lab tested...and I think a huge portion will fail for unacceptable residues (as well as molds). We've seen this in the other legal states- and after several years the industry is still learning they can't get away with bad practices...
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

4. Gratitude expressed by: