Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    SonomaPatientsCoop

Homeless with dogs...ask your favorite feed store to carry...

... the "sample size" bags that many quality dog food makers produce.

In the past I've had to special order boxes of "sampler bags" of dry dog food- which is expensive because it's not a regularly stocked item.

I try and carry a few bags in my truck at all times so I can give them to homeless people with dogs. This not only provides and often better balanced and more nutritious food then they will often otherwise be able to get, but in my experience most homeless with dogs will put their dogs needs first, so this takes a bit of burden off their human companion for at least a few days.

And yes, I've tried packaging up into ziplocks or even seal-a-meal bags from our large bag of food, but it is both time consuming and I think a little less effective (someone may well be wary of such food, but if it's in a sealed manufacturer package... )

Anyway- I think if a few more people were interested in this idea, it might bring the price down for all if the store could order larger quantities.

As a side note- I also tend to carry packages of cheap socks (an item homeless often are in dire need of because it is not an item of clothing generally put through the service networks)...and...well... cannabis.

Finally- I'd be interested in knowing of any veterinarians in the area who provide services for homeless people with pets, and who collect donations to help cover such services.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Shandi

Re: Homeless with dogs...ask your favorite feed store to carry...

David, Thank you for this post, and bringing it to our attention. I'm a cat and cannabis advocate, and usually have cat food, canned chicken/tuna and cannabis in my truck to share. Only last week, I saw a homeless man with a cat, and stopped to give him a few cans of cat food, and $20. I'm a low income disabled senior, but I try to share what I can.

I hope that other Wacco members respond in whatever way they feel called to. A Weruva rep was giving out samples at Sebastopol Pet Center. So Weruva might be agreeable to giving samples. I only shop there for my cat's raw food that I can't find anywhere else close by, and try to wait for "Super Sat and Senior Weds" to save 20%.

Samples could be available in many places,but someone needs to initiate it. Rohnert Park residents can get free cat/dog food at the shelter, on certain days. I don't know if other shelters provide this, but they all get donations of food/drugs from pet guardians who no longer have their pets.

Food banks could also provide this service.

Just did a search on pet food for homeless, and found www.pongo.org in Oregon. The site provides information on how to find other resource of free pet food.

Also found "Sonoma County Task Force on the Homeless" provides pet food, and the site lists other resources. They might be willing to work with people like us who want to carry pet food to distribute. Does anyone here know?

Last edited by Barry; 02-02-2017 at 12:37 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    Connieinca

Quote Posted in reply to the post by SonomaPatientsCoop: View Post
    ... Finally- I'd be interested in knowing of any veterinarians in the area who provide services for homeless people with pets, and who collect donations to help cover such services.
    www.homelesswithpets.org/
    Last edited by Barry; 02-03-2017 at 10:57 AM.

6. TopTop #4
    Barbara

Sonoma Humane Society on Highway 12 has a pantry with free food for both dogs and cats. One just needs to go in and ask. Many of us donate food for the pantry so it is always stocked.

Barbara
    Last edited by Barry; 02-04-2017 at 07:44 PM.