Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shepherd

Report on 3 Standing Rock Events in Santa Rosa 11/26, links to websites

I attended 3 events 11/26 on Standing Rock. They started with a silent prayer at the Sebastopol gazebo, one of many around the world.

In the afternoon, the Sonoma County Solidarity with Standing Rock group met at Santa Rosa’s Peace & Justice Center. In the evening there was a meeting at Arlene Francis Center (AFC) for the Sonoma County People Supporting Standing Rock, which has a similar name. That meeting had more people, including children, and was more multi-cultural and multi-generational. It included report backs by two people recently at Standing Rock (SR). Julie R.C. sang her song "Mini Wiconi--Water is Life," which was a robust closing.

Our host at AFC, Bruce, reported that a large delegation of military vets are headed to SR and scheduled to arrive by Dec. 4, the day before the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers plans to shut the camp down. Following is a link to one of the articles on that pending confrontation: From NBCNews.com... Dakota Pipeline Protesters Vow to Stay Despite Army Corps' Order.

"I'm sick of the dogs," 21-year-old Michael reported at the AFC meeting. "I'm very broken and overwhelmed. I don't know whether I am sad or happy. It messes with your head. I feel tears coming from my stomach. I've earned the right to be angry. It's about the planet and its worth. We need to face this so future generations do not suffer."

We broke into small groups. I joined the one having to do with "resiliency." Evan Wiig of the Farm Guild and Grange reported on a Jan. 29 large gathering at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds that he is helping to organize around the theme "Another World is Possible." Judith Newton and Ken Fass of the Frog Song Co-Housing group in Cotati spoke about Transition Cotati. AFC’s Chelsea reported that Rob Hopkins, originator of the Transition movement sys that "Resiliency is the ability to withstand shocks." Someone else said that "Standing Rock has put a fire under me." Charlotte said that she "left papers to go to the soil." Christopher and others spoke of the importance of "restorative justice." Two of the young women there are studying to be farmers--Chelsea and Maureen.

Pending SR events include the following:

Dec. 1, Thurs., #NODAPL day of action to shut down the banks, close your accounts, demand withdrawal of sheriff deputies.

Dec. 1, Thur., 7 p.m. Peace & Justice event on related issues at the Sebastopol Grange, Hiway 12 between Seb. & SR.

Dec. 5, Mon. 7-9, P&J Center on sanctuary cities & related concerns.

Dec. 8, Thur., 6 p.m. Transition U.S., Sebastopol Grange

Dec. 10, Sat., 3-5, P&J Center, SoCo Solidarity with Standing Rock meets again.

Since I published articles on Standing Rock in dozens of local, national, and international places, I would welcome information from you as we continue this effort, as well as quotations that I can use. To read some of my previous articles you can google my name + Standing Rock.
    Thanks for any help,
    Shepherd

Following is a list of reliable SR websites:

https://standwithstandingrock.net/ {link fixed}

www.ocetisakowincamp.org

https://sacredstonecamp.org/ { Link fixed}

https://indigenousrising.org
    Last edited by Barry; 11-29-2016 at 07:58 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #2

Re: Report on 3 Standing Rock Events in Santa Rosa 11/26, links to websites

Thanks for this report, Shepherd and for the good info.
    On Sat. I went to a ceremony and ritual for Standing Rock at the Center for Sacred Studies in Guerneville. Very moving and sacred. And money and goods were collected to send to the protectors. Then we walked down to the Russian River with handfuls of sacred tobacco where we said prayers as we tossed it in and watched it being carried down the river of life to the sea. May our sisters and brothers be safe as they protect the land and waters for us all.

Lilith
    Last edited by Barry; 11-29-2016 at 07:55 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: