Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shepherd

Trump victory seen from overseas

I’ve been communicating with people about the Trump victory who live outside the U.S, both those born elsewhere and U.S. citizens. I spent around 4 years living in 3 Latin American countries and 3 years living in Hawai’i, which is quite distinct from the rest of the U.S. As things break down further, some of the U.S. colonies and quasi-colonies may experience more independence.

“Welcome to the 3rd World,” one island dweller said. “We have to live with restraints here, where consumerism does not rule. You will need to adapt.” Another said. “You can no longer rely as much on the government. It is now more up to you.”

Though Trump being elected was unexpected by many of us, it is merely one more sign of the decline of the American Empire, which lost wars against Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Afghanistan, and Iraq. Now it’s fueling terrorism throughout the Middle East. It is as if a spell has been cast on many Americans, who live in a bubble.

Those who live elsewhere point to potential silver linings of the Trump victory: the building of a truly mass, democratic movement and more neighborhood dependence, especially as fossil fuels become less available and as abrupt, chaotic climate change worsens life on this Earth.

I do not expect this transition from the no-longer to the not-yet to be easy.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Glia

Re: Trump victory seen from overseas

There is a spell which has been cast on many Americans: TELEVISION.

For most American households, the TV is going during all waking hours. They walk in the door and turn on the TV. They fall asleep in front of the TV.

From the moment of conception the TV is always there, activating the amygdala of the brain in both mother and (eventually) the fetus. The flickering and changing image hijacks the visual neural pathways. Women who breastfeed with the TV in the room are looking at the TV instead of the baby, interfering with the bonding and socializing processes.

Those who were born before 1960 or so and did not grow up with the omnipresent boob-tube do not understand the effects it has had on children and the adults they have become. For many, if not most, of these people the line between fantasy and reality is a blurry one.

People who do not have a TV or only watch PBS a few hours a week are unaware of how much at affects others or our society as a whole; the rise of Trump is a mystery to them.

Bill Maher spoke about this phenomenon during the 11 November 2016 episode of his (ahem) TV show Real Time:
    https://youtu.be/oMJvbP3yzMk?t=27m35s

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    ... Though Trump being elected was unexpected by many of us, it is merely one more sign of the decline of the American Empire, which lost wars against Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Afghanistan, and Iraq. Now it’s fueling terrorism throughout the Middle East. It is as if a spell has been cast on many Americans, who live in a bubble.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    wisewomn

I used to think TV had replaced religion as the new opiate of the masses, but now I think it is cell phones/the internet. Just look around.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Glia: View Post
    There is a spell which has been cast on many Americans: TELEVISION. ...

6. TopTop #4
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wisewomn: View Post
    I used to think TV had replaced religion as the new opiate of the masses, but now I think it is cell phones/the internet. Just look around.
    and of course now there's oxycontin and other opioid prescription pain relievers for the masses to replace religion, TV and the internet. The real thing's coming back in a big way and I'm sure it's helped create the current political climate.

7. TopTop #5
    Glia

Good point! they are all distractions, but there is a big difference between TV and smartphones/Internet: TV is one-way and holds the viewer in a trance-like mental state, while smartphones/Internet are interactive with the content and display controlled by the user.

Last night I watched a documentary called The Brainwashing of My Dad -- a well-researched and informative work making the "view and discuss" rounds a while back. The producer/director, Jen Senko, traced the roots of right-wing talk radio and Fox News back to none other than the 1960 election and Tricky Dicky's poor performance on television during that campaign.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wisewomn: View Post
    Last edited by Glia; 12-01-2016 at 12:51 PM. Reason: corrected election year

8. Gratitude expressed by: