Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valley Oak

Catholic Hospitals Wow!

Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, Oct 27, 2016
    Dr. Rupa Natarajan describes how the directives restricted her ability to care for her patients at the Catholic hospital where she worked.

Full Catholic hospitals piece: https://bit.ly/2dSoIkf

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    farmerdan

Re: Catholic Hospitals Wow!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Edward Mendoza: View Post
    Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, Oct 27, 2016
    Dr. Rupa Natarajan describes how the directives restricted her ability to care for her patients at the Catholic hospital where she worked.

Full Catholic hospitals piece: https://bit.ly/2dSoIkf
    This is just the tip of the iceberg about women's health and another reason we need Sonoma West Medical Center. The patient in this video was lucky to have gotten such a conscientious physician but even then risked dying. Remember that Memorial, the largest hospital in Santa Rosa is a Catholic Hospital and currently manages Petaluma Valley Hospital as well. Memorial is in the middle of a merger with Provident, an even more conservative Catholic hospital chain. We understand that this is one of the reasons that the Petaluma Health Care District has decided to terminate its lease with Memorial Hospital after 20 years,

St. Helena, Clear Lake, Ukiah and Willits are all Seventh Day Adventist. While Adventist practice is more liberal than Catholic, it might still be difficult for patients to exercise their right to terminate a pregnancy.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-31-2016 at 01:41 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

5. TopTop #3
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Edward Mendoza: View Post
    interesting example of one of the toughest issues, because it's real. A lot of the most divisive issues in the country are easier to measure morally. Really, freedom to deny a gay couple baking services is that important to your immortal soul?

but forcing a Catholic hospital to provide abortion (or potentially euthanasia) services, or even in this case, contraceptive services, illustrates the social problems much better. I think most would agree that it's wrong to force an individual doctor to participate in activities they find immoral. Not all of them respect Tim Kaine's point of view (he refused to let his personal beliefs interfere with upholding state law when he was governor). Actually, I'm not sure I do either.

My own feelings are that you shouldn't TAKE a job where you have to violate your ethics. And if you won't provide a full range of health services, you shouldn't be allowed to operate a hospital. But as the bit on FullFrontal points out, no-one else is operating hospitals in those areas. Nasty social problem to solve...

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

7. TopTop #4
    Shepherd

These are complicated issues. I am not Catholic. However, I am currently undergoing training to be a hospice volunteer at Memorial Hospital, a Catholic hospital that Dan refers to below. There are 50 of us in the training; some may be Catholics, but not all of us. Memorial's hospices are a great service to those who are dying, regardless of their religion, or lack of religion. Catholicism is not even mentioned in our training, and we volunteers are not supposed to initiate religious conversations with those whom we are serving. Beginning-of-life and end-of-life issues are both important.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by farmerdan: View Post
    This is just the tip of the iceberg about women's health and another reason we need Sonoma West Medical Center. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 11-01-2016 at 01:39 PM.

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

9. TopTop #5
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    Memorial's hospices are a great service to those who are dying, regardless of their religion, or lack of religion. Catholicism is not even mentioned in our training, and we volunteers are not supposed to initiate religious conversations with those whom we are serving. Beginning-of-life and end-of-life issues are both important.
    Out of curiousity I poked around the net for a bit and found that this month last year, Jerry Brown signed the "End of Life Option Act". I doubt that would be part of Memorial's training. Is it? I'm not interested in advocating for one position or another on it - but it's very relevant to those seeking hospice services.

10. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

11. TopTop #6
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Unsurprisingly, Seems that local hospitals are opting-out of supporting the Right-to-Die options.
    From thinkprogress.org:

Hellerstein said UCSF expects an influx of patients as a result of the law, especially because local Catholic-based hospitals are choosing to opt-out — a caveat to the law. ...

National Catholic organizations, including hospitals, have been vocal in their opposition to any right-to-die legislation.

12. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: