Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    tashabeauchamp

Need services? Check out the Sebastopol Area Time Bank

• ExpandNeed help cooking dinners during the week?
    • Finishing a project?
    • Getting a ride occasionally?
    • Don't have much money?
    The Sebastopol Area Time Bank may be the answer.

Starting October 2, the Sebastopol Area Time Bank will open for new members.

This all-volunteer, grassroots initiative sponsored by Cittaslow Sebastopol and the City of Sebastopol, assists Sebastopol residents in securing services they need or want without having to spend dollars. Instead, members provide services for each other in exchange for "Time Bank Hours."

One hour of work is worth one Time Bank Hour.

Time banking is not bartering. Two individuals do not need to exchange with each other. Instead, think of Time Bank Hours as an alternate currency.

For instance, Randy needed help hauling away some wood that was piled up in her yard. She posted a request in the time bank and Kent stepped forward to help. He earned 6 Time Bank Hours for his 6 hours of work.

Kent, in turn, needed help getting easy weekday meals prepared ahead of time. Terri loves to cook so she offered to roast a turkey and made several dinners that Kent and his family were able to pull out of the freezer whenever time was short. Kent bought the food and "paid" Terri for her time in Time Bank Hours.

Terri needed help finishing a bench she had started in a class. She put out a request and Jeff, a carpenter member, helped her finish it by working with her in his workshop at home. (In this case, Terri didn't want him to do it for her. She simply needed someone knowledgeable to walk her through the remaining steps and give her tips as she learned. Not a skill one could readily hire.)

Building Community One Hour at a Time

These are just a few examples of exchanges that took place during Cittaslow Sebastopol's pilot Time Bank Study last spring.

Many participants commented on the community-building aspect. For instance, Randy Johnson observed, "Just being involved in the Time Bank study made me feel more involved in the community. I really liked that connection."

Diverse talents!
    Others noticed there is a surprising amount that they can do to earn Time Bank Hours. "I have more skills than I realized," says Time Banker Marie Bhavani Torelli. "When you start hearing what other people are sharing as skills, you think, 'I have those skills as well.' I guess I'd say it's a confidence builder."
    Expand
    Everyone is equally valued
    With a time bank, there is no income inequality! Everyone has something to offer. Everyone has value. Everyone's work is equal: One hour of work = One Time Bank Hour.

The services people want, or choose to offer, are frequently unconventional.

Many are quite fun.
    For instance:

• Want to milk a cow once a month?
    • Care to teach someone to crochet?
    • Like to wrap gifts? (You'll be busy during the holidays!)
    Orientation meetings
    The Sebastopol Area Time Bank will be holding several orientation meetings in October. Some will be during the day, some at night, some on the weekend, some during the weekday. Beginning in November, this will change to only one orientation a month.

For More Information
    Go to sebastopoltimebank.org or contact [email protected].

The Sebastopol Area Time Bank is sponsored by Cittaslow Sebastopol and the City of Sebastopol
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    jitterbug

Re: Need services? Check out the Sebastopol Area Time Bank

Here's a great video featuring several current members of the Sebastopol Area Time Bank as they discuss their experience in our pilot study conducted this past spring.

As noted below, The all-FREE Sebastopol Area Time Bank will be holding several orientation meetings in October. Some will be during the day, some at night, some on the weekend, some during the weekday. Beginning in November, this will change to only one orientation a month.

RSVP to an October orientation at: https://www.sebastopoltimebank.org/join
    Last edited by Barry; 10-05-2016 at 10:37 AM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    jitterbug

Re: Need services? Check out the Sebastopol Area Time Bank

It was nice to talk with some WaccoBB.net community members this afternoon at the community picnic. I had conversations with a lot of people who are excited about the new Sebastopol Area Time Bank. One of the things that we have found is very common in a new time bank is that people are not sure what to offer or request. Barry suggested that I post some of the time bank success stories that came up in conversation.

Here's one from our blog posted just at the conclusion of our pilot study this past spring. There are other stories on the web site as well. And I am certain we will be creating many new connections and stories as the Sebastopol Area Time Bank takes off!

No Time for a Time Bank? Think Again!
    By Gayle Bergmann
    June 1, 2016

Carrie works full time and volunteers managing local events for a national political campaign. She joined the time bank even though she knew the study was happening exactly when the California Primary Election would be heating up.

It turns out she was pleasantly surprised. She could help out for an hour here and there doing something she loves without any extra strain on her already busy calendar - violin and crochet lessons! Plus, she saved a lot of time when a fellow time banker inspected her irrigation system and provided an easy fix.

We are lucky to have many talented folks in our time bank. I know because I saved a lot of time and effort by asking for advice on how to set up some shade sails for an event. Having a fresh perspective led me in a completely different direction - no sails needed at all.

Still think you're too busy to participate in a time bank? Maybe it's time to rethink. Many times you can help someone while doing things you are doing anyway. Do you commute every day to work? Maybe someone needs a ride to where you're going. Do you shop for groceries? Maybe someone nearby could use a ride to the store or you could pick something up for her.

Then there's the other side of the coin: that chore you need to do but don't have time to do. Organizing your files. Scanning your old photos. Cleaning out the garage or garden shed.

Imagine how much time you would save if you didn't have to search around for a tool or a piece of paper that you know is in there somewhere. We have members who enjoy organizing things. Win win!

As we like to say, "giving is receiving."

There are four more October launch new member orientation / sign-up meetings. Click here for membership details and to RSVP for an orientation. After the October launch period, orientation / sign-up will be held monthly on the 10th of each month.

[QUOTE=jitterbug;206533]Here's a great video featuring several current members of the Sebastopol Area Time Bank as they discuss their experience in our pilot study conducted this past spring.

As noted below, The all-FREE Sebastopol Area Time Bank will be holding several orientation meetings in October. Some will be during the day, some at night, some on the weekend, some during the weekday. Beginning in November, this will change to only one orientation a month.

RSVP to an October orientation at: https://www.sebastopoltimebank.org/join
    Last edited by Barry; 10-10-2016 at 04:19 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: