Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shandi

When your pet is lost, these steps can make a difference in getting them back-some new

When our pet goes missing, hopefully we do the usual things like:

• Search our immediate neighborhood, calling their name. (at night if it's for a cat) Shaking a bag of treats can be helpful. This is where "clicker" training can be very handy.
    • Knock on neighbor's doors, handing out a flyer with a picture (hopefully a close up)
    • Post flyers (I have my doubts if this has ever helped. What do you do when you see a flyer?)
    • File a lost claim with clear color picture with area shelters, and go at least every other day. Shelter volunteers are usually swamped just taking care of the basic needs. Your pet can come in, be put in a holding cage, and either euthanized or put up for adoption in a short time, to make room.
    • Put out your pet's favorite blanket, your soiled clothing, toys, food, water, and soiled litter box (if it's a cat) If there's enough urine and poop clumps, I'd spread those around close by.
    • Email any neighbors
    • Set up a trapping cage if you can borrow one from a neighbor or Forgotten Felines.
    • Post on Nextdoor.com, WaccoBB, Craigslist lost and found, StrayPetNetwork@yahoo, and PetAmberAlert.com Don't bother posting on LostMyDoggie; they're a knock off of PetAmberAlert, and not very effective. Don't waste your money

It goes without saying that having your pet micro-chipped is the best way to get re-united. It's actually happened even when a pet has been missing for months or years. But, your contact information needs to be updated when you move, or get a new phone number, or it's useless. Treat it like you would your personal emergency contact information. Keep it updated.

If there's anything I forgot, please feel free to add suggestions and stories of how you found your pet, and how long it took.

I just want to point out that Nextdoor in Rohnert Park has actually been very helpful in finding lost pets. The Rohnert Park Shelter posts all found pets with pictures. You need to join your local Nextdoor because you can't post unless you live in the area. I live in Rohnert Park, so I can't post in other Nextdoor sites. It makes sense, because it's for "neighbors". Post as soon as you notice your pet missing, even if they've gone missing before, and returned after some time. Don't depend on that. Act quickly!

With Halloween coming up, make sure your pet is put in a "safe" room. Put a note on the door, so no one lets them out accidentally. Cats are especially at risk of torture if they're free roaming. Protect your pet, if you care!

I take my cat out with a cotton velcro halter and red leash (for easier visibility) every day, weather permitting, and have attached a picture of her. As a previous feral, she really likes going out....and I make sure she's SAFE.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-13-2016 at 11:45 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by: