Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shandi

Prescription Pet medications available at a much lower price than from the vet

“A lot of pet medications are available at human pharmacies for lower prices than vets charge. Walgreens even has a list of veterinary medicines for $4 per one-month dose. These are medicines that you would pay $20 or $30 for at your vet.”—MeiMei Welker, DVM

Ask your vet for a paper copy of the prescription. Be suspicious if they won't provide this, and understand why....

Note: I'm reposting a post from Oct. 2015- on the same topic, but with more details.
    How to save money on your pet's medications.

From Money Talks News, which I subscribe to:

"Getting your pet’s generics for $4 may not be as easy as that 1-2-3. Your vet may be reluctant to write the prescription that you’ll need – because PetRx programs save you money but take income away from vets. Why?

Because unlike doctors, vets dispense and sell medications to their patients. So before the Internet gave us sites like 1-800-Pet-Meds, vets had no competition – and they often marked up the price of their prescriptions by a hefty margin.
    In fact, prescription proceeds have traditionally constituted 20 percent of vets’ income, according to The Seattle Times. So $4 generic pet medications are the latest threat to their livelihood. If your vet hands you a prescription, they know you’re going to take it elsewhere, which means they won’t be able to sell it to you at a higher price.

Continue reading here: https://www.moneytalksnews.com/how-to...eric-pet-meds/
    Last edited by Barry; 07-11-2016 at 12:14 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Lysa

Re: Prescription Pet medications available at a much lower price than from the vet

This may all be true some of the time, but i suggest calling and get a quote before assuming a prescription will be cheaper elsewhere. I once had a pet's prescription called into a nearby pharmacy to save the drive over to the vet's. It didn't occur to me ahead the price would change much and i was very surprised when what cost $12 from the vet cost $32 at the pharmacy.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    “A lot of pet medications are available at human pharmacies for lower prices than vets charge. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 07-12-2016 at 10:16 AM.

3. TopTop #3
    wisewomn

Re: Prescription Pet medications available at a much lower price than from the vet

Costco pharmacy also carries many pet meds.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-12-2016 at 10:17 AM.