Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Moon

Police still killing

Davey D. Cook:
    So this morning I've been making calls to Congressional leaders and asking them what they are going to be doing about this rash of police shootings? I called Congressman John Lewis (202-225-3801), House Minority whip James Clyburn (202-225-3315), House Minority leader, Nancy Pelosi (202-225-4965) and the office of the Congressional Black Caucus (202-226-9776). Last night I tweeted to a number of law makers, including Bernie Sanders & Hillary Clinton.
    In my calls I asked what they were intending to do about the recent police shootings. All of the folks I talked to said as yet, they have heard nothing from the respective representatives. In the case of Nancy Pelosi and James Clyburn I was told they are focused on the gun control issue. I asked how that was going to stop the police from killing our people.
    When I called John Lewis's office, I was told he was in a meeting. I left my name and number and asked for a call back. They said they had been getting calls but as yet the congressman hasn't addressed this, but things are fluid and that could change. I asked "Can I request he address this and that he make a big stink about this the way he did on the gun control issue?" They told me they would pass along my message.
    In the case of Nancy Pelosi, in addition to the recent police executions, I also brought up the rape and human trafficking--of a minor--investigations with Oakland police and the racist text messaging scandal in the San Francisco Police Dept. which have tarnished the Bay Area's reputation. I asked what she intends to do about these police departments that are out of control.
    I was told by the staffer that they have received phone calls on this issue and that he would relay my concerns to the congresswoman. I reminded them that almost immediately after the Kate Steinle shooting at Pier 14 last year by the undocumented immigrant, the Congresswoman issued a statement. I asked "What's it gonna take for her and the rest of Congress to speak out about these police killings?"
    When I called the Congressional Black Caucus office, they told me they too had been getting calls on this and that I should check the website for updates. I pointed out the gun control issue is on their website, and no statements on the police shootings. I wanted to make a request that they do something about the police shootings.
    I asked them, "What will it take to get you to hold police accountable, the way you want to hold gun manufacturers and the NRA accountable?" Again I pointed out that Congressional reps did a sit-in last week, and will they be doing things around the police shootings? They took down my request and promised to pass it along.
    None of the websites for these reps as of this morning had on their front page any statement on the shootings. Hillary Clinton did send out a statement yesterday offering prayers to the family and noting the Department of Justice is investigating and that all of us have a right to live and be safe.
    Bernie Sanders tweeted out that a police shooting should automatically trigger a DOJ investigation. That's consistent with his position.
    If anything else follows, I'll let you know as folks have my info and request for call-backs. I would encourage folks to also hit up these lawmakers. Keep in mind, the goal here is not to have them do sit-ins, but to have them aggressively push for bills and laws that would hold police accountable and punish them for wrongdoing.
    On a side note: A number of people have been quoting Malcolm X and stating we need to take this fight around police terror to the United Nations. Folks should know: Over the past 3 years the UN has been visited 3 or 4 times by various groups and orgs.
    Michael Brown's family and a delegation from Ferguson went to the UN in Geneva. They addressed the assembly. A group from Chicago called We Charge Genocide went to the UN. I think the Atlantic did a story on them. We had them on our [radio] show to speak on this.
    The Dream Defenders in Florida went to the UN twice; we had reports back from them.
    During those trips delegations dealing with the issue of political prisoners which consisted of former Black Panthers like Dhoruba Bin-Wahad were also in Geneva before the United Nations.
    Anyone proposing we go to the UN should follow up with the people and groups who went and understand that the UN is not always our friend.

Carole H
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Thad

Re: Police still killing

Anything that will change things must address the Police Officers Union and the Cadet training program

Congress is too busy with their special interests
    Last edited by Barry; 07-08-2016 at 11:52 AM.

4. TopTop #3
    snake

More cops being assassinated, and vile, Black racist hate groups are promoting it.

I am feeling very bad for all cops across the country, working hard to do their job right. They are so on edge now, and their job is very difficult already.

When police shootings, as any shootings happen, they should be properly investigated. Reps., like anyone else can note their concern for all involved, but should not be opening their mouths, or making any assumptions about what they think happened or didn't happen. Proper investigation is what the focus should be on. Not slamming police, or automatically assuming the police are in the right, or wrong.

It's too bad so called 'progressives', and racist, hate filled groups like BLM only care about 'police shootings', and not the horrid black on black crime, gang crime etc. The violent, verbal racist crud coming out of hate groups like AADL, BLM is unconscionable, and only inciting more murder, violence, hatred and racism. Our Reps, and the Prez. can at least call them out on THAT, and try to stop THAT right now.

Sadly, long gone are the days of the likes of MLK.

A recent study just came out. Will be interesting to see what happens with this.

https://www.popsci.com/study-finds-little-difference-in-who-police-shoot-at-more

5. TopTop #4
    Moon

Black Lives Matter is not a racist hate group; it's a group that's long been needed, to defend Blacks--and other people of color--from police.

Can you tell us how to read the tables in the document "An Empirical Analysis of Racial Differences in Police Use of Force"? I took a statistics course at Texas A&M and understand "p-value" (which,for those who haven't had stats, is the probability, under the assumption of the hypothesis, of obtaining a result at least as extreme as what was actually observed.)
    However, I don't understand races being on both "axes" (I realize that word is properly used only for graphs, but I can't think of tables' comparable word) of the table. If we could see the actual numbers or know what the data in the tables mean, we could evaluate the study's design. Even researchers with Ph.D's. can make mistakes in design study, and The National Bureau for Economic Research has an egregiously conservative bias.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by snake: View Post
    ...It's too bad so called 'progressives', and racist, hate filled groups like BLM only care about 'police shootings', and not the horrid black on black crime, gang crime etc.

A recent study just came out. Will be interesting to see what happens with this.

https://www.popsci.com/study-finds-l...-shoot-at-more
    Last edited by Barry; 07-12-2016 at 10:20 AM.

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #5
    snake

If BLM isn't a 'racist hate group' then good. But I don't buy it. I'm sure some of the people in the protest's aren't, but unfortunately, with what is starting to happen, overall, it doesn't look good.

I'm assuming the study will be studied. As mentioned, we will see what comes of it. How accurate or not.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Moon: View Post
    Black Lives Matter is not a racist hate group; ...
    Last edited by Barry; 07-12-2016 at 10:20 AM.

8. TopTop #6
    Peacemaker

Don't worry, they don't want to kill you (pl). They just want you (pl) to stop killing them.

If BLM isn't a 'racist hate group' then good. But I don't buy it. I'm sure some of the people in the protest's aren't, but unfortunately, with what is starting to happen, overall, it doesn't look good...
    Last edited by Barry; 07-13-2016 at 11:25 AM.

9. TopTop #7
    Moon

What I want to say, not just to snake in particular, but to any whites who don't support Black Lives Matter, is: You try it. You do the John Howard Griffin thing (Black Like Me), with the subcutaneous injections and the makeup to cover the spots where the melanin doesn't take, and spend even just one month living--working, shopping, etc.--as a Black person in this country. Then see how dispassionately judicious you can be in discussing relations among people of different ancestries. If you're not up for that, just notice how often whites feel short-changed because we're not getting more than everyone else.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Peacemaker: View Post
    Don't worry, they don't want to kill you (pl). They just want you (pl) to stop killing them.

10. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

11. TopTop #8
    snake

Hi Peacemaker:

Patronizing post, eh? Figures.

I suggest you send it to the dead cops families and remind them not to 'worry'. Remind them no one wanted to assassinate their loved ones. I'm sure it will make them feel all warm and fuzzy inside, while their loved ones who put their lives on the line every working day, rot in their graves.

Luckily, another assassination attempt was foiled.
    'Don't worry'.
    Yeah right.

Last edited by Barry; 07-16-2016 at 09:27 AM.

12. TopTop #9
    snake

Moon:

I think you completely missed the point of my original post.

PS. I read 'Black Like Me' when I was 16. 'Unrequired' reading.

What I want to say, not just to snake in particular, but to any whites who don't support Black Lives Matter, is: You try it. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 07-16-2016 at 09:28 AM.

13. TopTop #10
    Moon

So you then went out and tried it yourself? All I'm saying is not to dis someone else for not being able to do something you haven't shown you can do, e.g. keep your temper after being treated as Black in the US.

Moon:

I think you completely missed the point of my original post.

PS. I read 'Black Like Me' when I was 16. 'Unrequired' reading.

14. TopTop #11
    snake

So, it's OK cops have been assassinated?

So you then went out and tried it yourself? All I'm saying is not to dis someone else for not being able to do something you haven't shown you can do, e.g. keep your temper after being treated as Black in the US.

15. TopTop #12
    Peacemaker

No. It's not OK that cops have been assassinated. Also, it is not OK that Philando Castile and Alton Sterling were assassinated. It is not OK that 9 people were assassinated in their church in North Carolina. None of this kind of stuff is OK.

That's the point of Black Lives Matter (the organization). It's not that a black person's life matters more than anyone else's. It's that a black person's life is EQUALLY important as anyone and everyone's. And, in the United States of America, it has been generally the case, that black persons, especially black men, and most especially young black men's life have NOT mattered as much as anyone else's life. This has been true even of their treatment by those who are sworn to uphold the law and serve and protect the ENTIRE population. The slogan "Black Lives Matter" is a protest against that reality.

So, it's OK cops have been assassinated?

16. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

17. TopTop #13
    Moon

OK, snake, no more responses to your posts; your sarcasm and now your pulling out something that happened after the original comments were made and, thus, obviously do not refer to make it clear you have no interest in any serious discussion. Good-bye.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-17-2016 at 10:51 AM.

18. TopTop #14
    snake

That is your perogative of course, if you don't want to respond, but I don't see where I 'pulled out' something that was not pertinent to what is happening in regards the relationship of police and black communities, or BLM.

And maybe you are right, if 'seriously discussing' this issue revolves around how BLM is some wonderful 'movement' with a bit of a 'temper problem', I'm not interested. I have seen otherwise.

Getting fed up, and 'losing one's temper', is not the same as promotiong cop hatred, and assassination.

OK, snake, no more responses to your posts; your sarcasm and now your pulling out something that happened after the original comments were made and, thus, obviously do not refer to make it clear you have no interest in any serious discussion. Good-bye.

19. TopTop #15
    snake

I agree that 'this kind of stuff', is not OK when it is shown that cops acted unprofessionally, or committed an unjustifiable killing.*

We don't agree that BLM's message is simply that 'Black lives matter' equally. Maybe it started out that way, I don't know. The movement has been oozing disgusting racist cop hatred, leading (in some people's minds) to justifiable assassination of innocent cops. And according to some, now an increase of Black people dead due to the fact of cops 'backing off' in their policing.**

Again - Long gone is the leadership of the likes of MLK.

*PS. I do not assume to know about every case and judge the cops as guilty before all evidence is in. Some people are judging the cops guilty as soon as a killing happens. In our judicial system it is suppose to be innocent until proven guilty. Also, an 'accidental' killing, while tragic, is not to be equated with an assassination. If a cop kills someone thinking they are reaching for a gun, because they didn't hold still when the command was to keep their hands up, that is not the same as when an assassin purposely targets a cop.

**I have not been able to check out stats. on this.

No. It's not OK that cops have been assassinated. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 07-18-2016 at 03:42 PM.

20. TopTop #16
    Thad

Reforming Police Unions Necessary to Restore Public Confidence in Law Enforcement, Says New York Times

https://reason.com/blog/2016/09/06/r...cessary-to-res

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Thad: View Post
    Anything that will change things must address the Police Officers Union and the Cadet training program

Congress is too busy with their special interests

21. Gratitude expressed by: