Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    mzcharj

German Shepherd puppies

Adorable 9 wk old purebred puppies read for a forever, loving home. Unique markings and excellent disposition.
    Asking $400

707-596-0054
    Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Expand  
    Last edited by mzcharj; 06-24-2016 at 03:36 PM. Reason: add phone number
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    William Allan Shearer

Re: German Shepherd puppies

Please stop making more puppies, there are too many dogs(that are every bit as special and adorable as yours) that need homes already. And the last thing those dogs need is people making more puppies when there are not enough homes for the dogs that are already here.
    And please neuter and spay your puppies before rehoming them.
    Good luck and I hope you never do this again,
    Dodie
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by mzcharj: View Post
    Adorable 9 wk old purebred puppies read for a forever, loving home. ...Asking $400...
    Last edited by Barry; 06-25-2016 at 12:48 PM.

3. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

4. TopTop #3
    Shandi

Unfortunately, people breed purebred dogs and cats intentionally because of the demand and the profit. I seriously doubt if a breeder will neuter and spay before re-homing them. Many people who buy purebreds are also considering breeding them, for the same reasons.

I have to admit that I was one of those people at one time, when I thought it could be a fun and easy way to make some extra needed cash. My German Shepherd refused to mate with a male that I'd chosen, and instead found a way to mate with the local free roaming mixed breed dog that she had affection for. We were able to give the puppies away, but got her spayed after that.

Most people won't stop dong what they do because someone tells them that their behavior contributes to a problem. They will only stop when they become self-aware at a deeper level.

Many of us have behaviors that contribute to toxins in our home, community, city, county, and beyond. These toxins are mental, physical, and emotional. Unconsciously breeding humans or animals is only one of these behaviors that reflect short sited self interest. I don't see that changing any time soon.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by William Allan Shearer: View Post
    Please stop making more puppies, ...
    Last edited by Barry; 06-25-2016 at 12:47 PM.

5. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

6. TopTop #4
    wildflower

I agree with those that express their distaste for breeding animals for profit. I think it is unethical and irresponsible. I am also extremely disappointed to see that the rules of waccobb allow the exploitive practice of SELLING animals. It's not fair to the animals in question and encourages more breeding because it's OK" to sell them.
    Also ....since this involves money, these posts should be in the BUSINESS section, not PETS and CRITTERS, or whatever this category is called. The person posting here is looking for business, not animal well being or help or info.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Barry; 07-12-2016 at 01:31 PM.

7. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

8. TopTop #5
    gypsey

I agree this belongs in the business section. But in defense of ethical breeders---yes, they exist---they would not be selling a purebred German shepherd puppy for $400. The cost would be in the thousands to cover for example the genetic testing to ensure the pups parents are free of for instance, hip dysplasia, + vet care, and the guarantee that the pup will have a lifetime home--with the breeder-should the match not work out. Reputable breeders breed rarely-- a fraction of the times that Guide Dogs for the Blind breeds their females---and do so out of passion for the breed. It's not particularly profitable. Then again, they won't be advertising!
    And by the way, German Shepherd Rescue has some great dogs available at all times.

As for our zeal to rescue dogs and no-kill shelters---I support them but need to point out that we have done a very poor job in publicizing the true cost of indiscriminate breeding. I've heard people lull themselves into thinking they want their mixed pit or doodle to have puppies---and somehow it will all work out.. Meanwhile Norcal Poodle Rescue very rarely has a purebred standard poodle for adoption b/c the breeders are ethical and vigilant, but are flooded with "doodles."

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wildflower: View Post
    Also ....since this involves money, these posts should be in the BUSINESS section, not PETS and CRITTERS...

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

10. TopTop #6
    mzcharj

This is to all that like to stand on their soap box and spew out negativity they know nothing about. Our purebred German Shepherd was accidentally mated with another german shepherd on a 5 acre parcel where she was staying. She is only a little over a year old. These german shepherds are in fact pure breds but do not have papers, hence the lower price.
    Do you all even realize the expense and time it takes to take care of them from pregnancy to birth, to weaning? There is no profit here. Not to mention the destruction of my landscape and beautiful yard.
    We allowed our pup to deliver these "adorable" puppies because there are still some of us who appreciate the beauty and companionship of these animals. I live alone so my dogs are my children, my comfort and my safety. And for the record, when I lost my "pinky" of 11 years last July (which by the way was a rescue) I found a adorable Mini Schnauzer mix at a Puppy rescue. I paid $350 for him (they would not even negotiate, also because of the expense) and Milo wasn't even a purebred, so I was getting good and bad personality traits from unknown breeds. Furthermore, as much as I love rescue dogs, one has to have the patience and the know how on training these animals because 90% of them have "problems", that's why they are there. Good intentioned people adopt these animals only to give them up because the don't have the patience it takes to return them into society. Or worse, some of these rescues have aggressive behavior which can be very dangerous.
    When one purchases a pure bred, you are buying this breed because of the traits of the animal. This is why police use german shepherds and not some rescue dog. They need their intelligence and their quick response to a command and be true to what they are bred for. People buy pure breds because these animals become members of their family, not just some dog that sits in the backyard alone waiting for a little attention. "
    If I had known trying to bring some love and happiness to desiring families was going to bring up uptight "perfect"people onboard, I would have never placed this ad nor will I ever do so in the future.
    By the way, all the puppies have found loving homes and their new parents are thrilled to have them as new members of their family.
    So please don't be so judgemental, we all fall short, even YOU!

11. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

12. TopTop #7
    wisewomn

So are you going to have your female spayed now?

13. Gratitude expressed by:

14. TopTop #8
    mzcharj

So what, am I on trial here? This isn't a forum. Get a life.
    [This is a forum - Barry]
    Last edited by Barry; 07-13-2016 at 11:12 AM.

15. Gratitude expressed by:

16. TopTop #9
    mzcharj

I posted an ad for puppies, not to discuss the do and dont's of breeding, which it has now become. I don't know you so it's none of your business what I do or don't do to my pets. I actually have a fulfilled life so don't have time getting in people's business.
    Let it go, move on
    Last edited by Barry; 07-13-2016 at 11:13 AM.

17. Gratitude expressed by:

18. TopTop #10
    William Allan Shearer

So you're fixing your bitch now and you have fixed her litter before rehoming them then?
    Pet overpopulation is a entirely self made problem caused by people intentionally and unintentionally breeding them. Our companion animals are entirely dependent on us and I find it heartbreaking that this failure to control breeding( because they can't do it themselves folks!)results in thousands of homeless dogs and cats. And the worst of it is that this is done to them by people who love them.
    I hope you never do this again.
    Dodie

19. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

20. TopTop #11
    William Allan Shearer

I often hear that people think adopting a rescue pet is risky because you don't know its parentage or what it has been through, but this really is not important. What matters is who this animal is now and if it fits in well at your home. My own rescue dog Fred is quiet, walks well with and without a leash, has great recall and his super power is staying out of the way. I did not raise him or train him, I contacted the rescues near me through https://petfinders.com and intentionally adopted a dog with the behavior l wanted.

Do you want a playmate for the kids? A jogging partner? A low maintenance couch potato that's ok with cats? Needs to be good on and off leash with great recall? Good around horses and livestock? No matter what you want from your dog your best chance of getting it is to get on https://petfinders.com and let the rescues near you know what you are looking for.

21. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

22. TopTop #12
    wisewomn

Agreed!

And the fact of the matter is that it's NOT the shelter dogs that have problems, it's the humans who surrendered/ abandoned/neglected/tired of the responsibility of caring for them who have problems. Some owners die and their pets end up in shelters. And, yes, purebreds end up in shelters, too.

Bad-mouthing shelter animals is just breeder sales talk and self-justification.

I often hear that people think adopting a rescue pet is risky ...

23. Gratitude expressed by:

24. TopTop #13
    mzcharj

Breeder???? This is the first experience I have ever had in my adult life ! I don't breed animals. If you would have read the email thoroughly you would have seen this was ACCIDENTAL!! We accepted the responsibility and found loving families for this puppies. I had to turn people away.
    My dogs have been rescue dogs. Some have had problems, some are wonderful. I have never given up on one of my pets. I work with them and use lots of love. I have had dogs all my 68 yrs
    As I said before, you don't know me but you are so quick to be cynical.
    It's not your business but this German shepherd belongs to my ex who has always. had a love for this breed. The German shelter rescue did not have any adoptable at the time so he purchased this one from a family not a breeder.
    Very closed minded you are. You all assume way too much. This is the kind of person that is very scary. Quick to judge without all the facts.

25. TopTop #14
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

I'm all for adopting rescues and neuter/spayings, but what you are advocating is the end of purebreds. Do you really think that no more golden retrievers, german shepherds, poodles, dachshund, etc should be bred and their genetic lines abandoned?

I appreciate those breeds. I haven't really looked into this, but I could see a tax on all purebred registrations that would fund free neuter and spayings.

26. Gratitude expressed by:

27. TopTop #15
    Shandi

I think it's a great concept to have a tax on purebred registrations, and sales to fund free neuter and spayings.

There will never be an end to people's desires for purebred dogs, cats, horses, goats, etc. People who have money can afford whatever they want. Most wealthy people I've known don't adopt, they buy a purebred status symbols, which is their right. Many of them don't actually study the breed or know about the potential health/temperament issues they're investing in. After all, they do it with other possessions like cars, boats, houses, etc. And most people do consider their pets property, as evidenced in divorce cases.

I once came across a post from a woman looking for a male cat to mate her female with, who wasn't even a purebred. She just said that so many of her friends liked her cat that they wanted her to have her mated so they could have one of the kittens.

I couldn't help but respond to her by sharing information on the reality of so many surrendered cats in shelters. And the fact that there was no guarantee that breeding her cat would result in kittens with her sweet personality.
    I really expected her to tell me to mind my own business, but her response was almost shocking.

She thanked me for the information that she hadn't even considered, and decided not to go forward with her search for a mate. This made me realize that it's never too soon to speak up about the realities and consequences of not spaying and neutering our pets. The key is not to be attached to the response, because more than likely, it will be defensive. We're all a bit defensive of our own perspectives and thinking.

I hear many reasons why people don't spay/neuter, but none of the reasons seem to be very conscious. Even lack of money isn't a good excuse, since many shelters offer this service at a low cost. If this German Shepherd had been neutered by the non-breeder human, the "accident" wouldn't have happened. Sorry if this comes off as judgmental; I'm just stating a fact.

The same fact is true for people. Most people who have sex without some kind of protection may expect pregnancy, unless there's a problem with ability to reproduce. Most of us may have been "accidents", but we become adults who have the responsibility of caring for ourselves. Animals are always at the mercy of guardians to make responsible choices. We see the consequences of those who don't, from the overflowing shelters. Another sad reality...

I'm glad that these puppies found homes, and I hope that they and the mother will be neutered. Finding German Shepherd puppies shouldn't be that difficult. People who can afford them, will buy through reputable breeders. I can't imagine a shortage of purebred animals.

I do know of one woman who's intent on buying a "smoke Maine Coon, which I'd never heard of and I guess are very rare, and very expensive. I'm attaching a picture. This doesn't look like a happy cat, but it may have been stressed from having a studio portrait.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I'm all for adopting rescues and neuter/spayings, but what you are advocating is the end of purebreds. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 07-13-2016 at 10:35 PM.

28. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

29. TopTop #16
    wisewomn

I'm sorry if I seemed to refer specifically to you in my post. It was not my intention. I have been involved in animal rescue for 27 years and am out of patience with people who denigrate shelter animals (as you did). If you had made your situation clearer, this thread might not have developed.
    And, no, Barry, I am not advocating the abolition of purebred anything, dogs included. I'm too realistic for that.
    The bottom line is that responsible owners will spay/neuter their pets.

Breeder???? This is the first experience I have ever had in my adult life ! I don't breed animals. If you would have read the email thoroughly you would have seen this was ACCIDENTAL!! ...
    Last edited by Barry; 07-13-2016 at 10:36 PM.

30. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

31. TopTop #17
    santoshimatajaya
    Supporting Member

i had a similar experiencing when posting about a lost dog i took in, a full bred german shepherd, actually, coincidentally. responders to my post immediately jumped on my back and down my throat. Gypsy was very clear, grounded, informative and fair with me. she recognized the service i was providing and also gave me information i did not have. i much appreciate this. otherwise i felt the same as you, that i will not expose myself again to the negativity and aggression i received.

Fortunately the owners found her through a local Rescue i registered with. and yes, i found out how amazingly smart german shepherds are, smarter than most people, i dare say~Very Loving too, a perfect companion~

i realize these responses were intended to protect the dog and her owner, yet the aggression was coming from 'triggers.' We all have them. We all need to learn more about how to recognize and handle what Upsets us, usually very Valid. Speaking and Acting from triggered upset energy is very destructive. it ends up being hypocritical. it's an issue all of humanity shares.

to me it is a Responsibility and a Must if we are to make progress toward a sane collaborative harmonious community, society, global relationships. Learning how to take Good Care of ourselves during the triggered Wave, before, during and after. otherwise we are part of those willing to be at war, willing to be destructive. it's a Big Lesson to be working on, practicing. how to treat others the way we want to be treated. going off on someone is 'going off on oneself.' We Are That Connected. My defensive comments add to the fire.

the habit we want to get into is Well-Being and Peace for all. Once we calm down, and our brains reset to a grounded, centered Presence, we can begin our conversation. We Can disagree. We can express and Hear / Listen to the expressions of the other, and gain alot of information, Understanding. maybe not agreeing, but that's ok. at least expressing, being heard, listening to the other, and gaining Understanding~in a calm, neutral mindset, exchanging peacefully. tending to our own upsets, so as not to throw fire, or receive fire. imagine building a fence while the wood was on fire. this does not work. well, we do this alot in our upset moments. we can learn to communicate the same as we build fences, etc. Not On Fire~

This is to all that like to stand on their soap box and spew out negativity they know nothing about. Our purebred German Shepherd was accidentally mated with another german shepherd on a 5 acre parcel where she was staying. ...There is no profit here. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 07-13-2016 at 10:42 PM.

32. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

33. TopTop #18
    bill shearer

Nope, I am not advocating for the end of purebreds. But breeding needs to be curtailed in response to pet overpopulation and most dogs should not be bred, because there are far more dogs born than there is any hope of having homes for, and it is clearly not in the best interest of the dogs to make more.

If you are responsible your dogs will not be bred until they are old enough to be tested for hereditary health problems like hip dysplasia and heart disease, they will be proven superior representatives of their breed by their show record and/ or performance field tests, your puppies that are not destined for show will be fixed before you rehome them, they will be returned to you if they do not work out for the buyer and you will have buyers lined up before you breed your bitch.

What I am advocating for is getting a rescue animal for their sake and for yours. When getting a companion animal the most important thing you can do for it to work out well is to be thorough and honest regarding what will be a good fit in your household, then instead of looking for a breed, look for that dog. Whatever characteristics will work best for you and your situation, the best chance of finding that animal is adopting a mature pet that has shown that it has the traits and behaviors you want.

Many people say that getting a rescue is risky because you don't know it's history and linage, but so what? All that matters is who they are now and do they fit in well in your home. It is a common misconception that rescue dogs are damaged goods, they are every bit as awesome as any other dog, you just need to know what you're looking for.

Producing more companion animals than there are homes for is becoming less common than it has been in the past. I have seen great improvement in my lifetime, but there are still way to many due to intentional and unintentional breeding.
    Dodie

I'm all for adopting rescues and neuter/spayings, but what you are advocating is the end of purebreds. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 07-13-2016 at 10:46 PM.

34. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

35. TopTop #19
    gypsey

I feel your anguish. I wish you had been more explicit with your posting as to how these puppies got born, etc.

This is to all that like to stand on their soap box and spew out negativity they know nothing about. Our purebred German Shepherd was accidentally mated ....
    Last edited by Barry; 07-13-2016 at 10:46 PM.

36. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

37. TopTop #20
    gypsey

Mark, this is over the top. Pediatric spays and neuters interfere with normal growth and development and even shelters have adopted more conservative guidelines. (And that includes a just one year old female German shepherd.)
    This woman made choices based on her values and her heart. It is unfortunate that she didn't explain more clearly her situation in her ad--that could have prevented at least some of the backlash.
    As for the big issue you address--pet overpopulation--there are many causes, and one for a fact is the "rescue movement."
    For every dog you rescue and feel good about, another takes its place. Why is that? One reason is b/c people think there will be homes and caring folks in abundance. So, why not have a litter?
    If I could ask one thing of every person who "rescued" a dog, it would be this: don't feel good -yet. Feel good when you have campaigned against indiscriminate breeding. Feel good when you have made it clear that you would prefer that this be the LAST rescued dog. Stop buying into the fantasy that your dog was actually "rescued." (Most are not abused, just not socialized.)
    Support your shelters and rescue organizations, but please, don't stop there. Get real.
    Thanks!

So you're fixing your bitch now and you have fixed her litter before rehoming them then?
    Pet overpopulation is a entirely self made problem caused by people intentionally and unintentionally breeding them. ...I hope you never do this again.

38. Gratitude expressed by:

MAG
  39. TopTop #21
    gypsey

Thanks for describing your own experience with adoption and also for touting the choices available for would-be new pet parents While I do think that what a pet has been through in its young life can affect it profoundly, most pet adoption agencies are skilled at discerning the adoptee's issues and matching Fido with the right home.
    Both purebreds and mixed breeds are available, and that's where our soul-searching should start. WHY so many?

I often hear that people think adopting a rescue pet is risky because ...

40. Gratitude expressed by:

41. TopTop #22
    bill shearer

Greetings,

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gypsey: View Post
    Mark, this is over the top.
    Its Dodie, not Mark, And not Bill Shearer, he is my partner and this is his wacco account Im writing on.

Pediatric spays and neuters interfere with normal growth and development and even shelters have adopted more conservative guidelines. (And that includes a just one year old female German shepherd.)
    I am willing to go with the consensus of professional organizations including The American Veterinary Medical Association and the American Animal Hospital Association that support pediatric neutering.

This woman made choices based on her values and her heart. It is unfortunate that she didn't explain more clearly her situation in her ad--that could have prevented at least some of the backlash.
    I did not suggest that she did not love her dog or that her puppies were not adorable, I asked her to stop making more of them.

As for the big issue you address--pet overpopulation--there are many causes, and one for a fact is the "rescue movement."
    Shelter euthanasia peaked about 1970 with about 100 animals killed per 1000 people in the USA. I expect we can thank the evolution of our attitude regarding our animal companions along with earlier and less expensive neutering for those numbers dropping by more than 60% today. It looks like we are going in the right direction. The idea that the "rescue movement" is a cause of overpopulation downright silly.

For every dog you rescue and feel good about, another takes its place. Why is that?
    I think that for every dog rescued that another one takes its place is because there are too many dogs.

One reason is b/c people think there will be homes and caring folks in abundance. So, why not have a litter?
    people should be reminded that there are not homes and caring folks in abundance so please do not have a litter.

If I could ask one thing of every person who "rescued" a dog, it would be this: don't feel good -yet. Feel good when you have campaigned against indiscriminate breeding. Feel good when you have made it clear that you would prefer that this be the LAST rescued dog.
    I believe that all of us who are involved in animal welfare want there to be no need for rescues.

Stop buying into the fantasy that your dog was actually "rescued." (Most are not abused, just not socialized.)
    I don't know what you mean by this. And you can get perfectly well socialized rescue dogs.

Support your shelters and rescue organizations, but please, don't stop there.
    Im with you here!

Get real.
    to the best I can tell, I am real.
    Dodie
    (Not Mark)
    (not Bill Shearer)
    Thanks!

42. Gratitude expressed by:

43. TopTop #23
    bill shearer

I often hear that people think adopting a rescue pet is risky because you don't know its parentage or what it has been through, but this really is not important. What matters is who this animal is now and if it fits in well at your home. My own rescue dog Fred is quiet, walks well with and without a leash, has great recall and his super power is staying out of the way. I did not raise him or train him, I contacted the rescues near me through https://petfinders.com and intentionally adopted a dog with the behavior l wanted.

Do you want a playmate for the kids? A jogging partner? A low maintenance couch potato that's ok with cats? Needs to be good on and off leash with great recall? Good around horses and livestock? No matter what you want from your dog your best chance of getting it is to get on https://petfinders.com and let the rescues near you know what you are looking for.

Furthermore, as much as I love rescue dogs, one has to have the patience and the know how on training these animals because 90% of them have "problems", that's why they are there. Good intentioned people adopt these animals only to give them up because the don't have the patience it takes to return them into society. Or worse, some of these rescues have aggressive behavior which can be very dangerous.

44. Gratitude expressed by:

45. TopTop #24
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wisewomn: View Post
    ...And, no, Barry, I am not advocating the abolition of purebred anything, dogs included. I'm too realistic for that.
    The bottom line is that responsible owners will spay/neuter their pets.
    So you are relying on "not responsible" people to keep the purebred lineages?

46. Gratitude expressed by:

47. TopTop #25
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

I agree that there are far too many mixed breed dogs, that are available for free or cheap. But what does breeding prurebreds, at $400+ per dog have to do with the mixed breed over population problem? I doubt few if any of these expensive puppies end up in a shelter.

Seems to me the problem is that, either intentionally or unintentionally, too many mixed breeds are breeding (god, I sound like a nazi) . The social pressure/education to prevent this should be directed to owners/companions of mixed breeds (or even purebred - I had 2 wonderful goldens that I didn't breed) and the future companion human (aka dog owners) and not the breeders,

As long as there is demand there will be supply.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-14-2016 at 09:56 AM.

48. Gratitude expressed by:

MAG
  49. TopTop #26
    William Allan Shearer

Golden retrievers, GSDs, poodles, dachshunds, etc are in no danger of dyeing out anytime soon. But for the sake of these and the rest of the awesome dogs, all of whom need our support to survive, can't we stop making more of them than there are homes to receive them?
    I'm all for adopting rescues and neuter/spayings, but what you are advocating is the end of purebreds. Do you really think that no more golden retrievers, german shepherds, poodles, dachshund, etc should be bred and their genetic lines abandoned?

I appreciate those breeds. I haven't really looked into this, but I could see a tax on all purebred registrations that would fund free neuter and spayings.

50. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

51. TopTop #27
    gypsey

while some people--wealthy or not-definitely purchase purebreds as "status symbols" or "possessions", many people I know with purebreds love that particular breed and its capabilities and personality. Also, I've encountered a number of people who have rescued pit bulls as status symbols...others because they love them. I don't think it's fair to make generalizations about people's motives.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    I... People who have money can afford whatever they want. Most wealthy people I've known don't adopt, they buy a purebred status symbols, which is their right. Many of them don't actually study the breed or know about the potential health/temperament issues they're investing in. After all, they do it with other possessions like cars, boats, houses, etc. And most people do consider their pets property, as evidenced in divorce cases....
    Last edited by Barry; 07-15-2016 at 10:01 AM.

52. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

53. TopTop #28
    gypsey

Thanks for your post. I appreciate your kind words about my response to you, and am delighted the dog's owners were found!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by santoshimatajaya: View Post
    i had a similar experiencing when posting about a lost dog...
    Last edited by Barry; 07-15-2016 at 10:10 AM.

54. TopTop #29
    gypsey

Dodie, Thanks for letting me know that the account you wrote on isn't you.Regarding the AVMA, they are very clear about the pros and cons of pediatric spaying and neutering, and do not recommend it for females before 3-4 months old. Since puppies are placed at 8-10 weeks, this precludes the breeder from having the puppy "fixed" before re homing her. Regarding male dogs, safe dates to neuter depend on breed size/bone growth. Again, it won't be at 8-10 weeks of age, which was my point about pediatric spay/neuter.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by bill shearer: View Post
    Greetings, Its Dodie, not Mark, And not Bill Shearer, he is my partner and this is his wacco account Im writing on.

I am willing to go with the consensus of professional organizations including The American Veterinary Medical Association and the American Animal Hospital Association that support pediatric neutering. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 07-15-2016 at 10:19 AM.

55. Gratitude expressed by:

56. TopTop #30
    gypsey

Barry,
    There are serious overpopulation issues with many pure breeds as well. The top 10-15 that end up in shelters are breeds that are unusually active, protective, or popular. Both backyard breeders & commercial breeders (puppy mills) contribute by breeding to the market without needed safeguards, care, and selection (including NOT breeding). This is why a $400 German Shepherd is an issue---though not to be fair, the reason this Wacco poster was offering her pups at this price.

Unusually active or protective dogs if not carefully bred for temperament and health and also placed in the right homes, are going to end up in shelters. Very popular breeds--and that includes, heartbreakingly, every version of doodles & pit mixes--are going to end up badly bred and also a glut on the market.

The list includes: popular breeds like labs, doodles of all kinds, boxers, beagles & Chihuahuas, active breeds like border collies, jack Russell terriers, Aussie cattle dogs and Australian shepherds, and protective breeds like pit bulls, German shepherds, and rottweillers-- as well as Staffordshire terriers and American (large) bulldogs.
    Hope this info is helpful!

I agree that there are far too many mixed breed dogs, that are available for free or cheap. But what does breeding purebreds, at $400+ per dog have to do with the mixed breed over population problem? I doubt few if any of these expensive puppies end up in a shelter.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-15-2016 at 09:51 AM.

57. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: