Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    sashahom

electric shock collar for dog: life or death

Hi
    I prefer positive reinforcement training but this is life or death. Both for the critter and the dog. Does someone have a training collar I can borrow?!

Sasha
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    gypsey

Re: electric shock collar for dog: life or death

Sasha,
    I don't have a shock collar but having tried one with one dog under my care I can assure you it isn't always effective. Can you please post the REASON for your need and why this is a "life or death" situation? That way, the community can respond with helpful suggestions and if warranted...that shock collar.
    Wishing you all the best...Gypsey
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by sashahom: View Post
    Hi
    I prefer positive reinforcement training but this is life or death. Both for the critter and the dog. Does someone have a training collar I can borrow?!

Sasha

3. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

4. TopTop #3
    ladybug5

I agree... Often shock collars will exacerbate a problem.. Pain is NOT a solution to dog problems.
    I am a dog trainer and will work with you and your dog at no cost.
    Please reach out..
    Thanks,,
    Jody Tucker
    gooddays.biz

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gypsey: View Post
    Sasha,
    I don't have a shock collar but having tried one with one dog under my care I can assure you it isn't always effective. Can you please post the REASON for your need and why this is a "life or death" situation? That way, the community can respond with helpful suggestions and if warranted...that shock collar.
    Wishing you all the best...Gypsey
    Is your dog having a good day? ~ www.gooddays.biz ~ [email protected]

5. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

6. TopTop #4
    sashahom

Thank you for your replies! I know that shock collars are not ideal but I am desparate. My family and I have moved at least four times now because of my dogs attacking goats, killing and attacking a cat, and chickens. We manage them very tightly. I was a dog walker for over a decade, and have been around the training world for some time now. But, now that i have kids, I just don't have the time to do the training with them I would like to. We are trying to re-home one of them because they pack up and the younger female is much more of a hunter.

Whereas, I think I can train the older male and break him of his prey drive, socialize him with our chickens, and the cats of our landmates, and maybe even one day goats. Shock collars seem to be the quickest. I am open to suggestions! Or, assistance!

I will say that they are excellent with kids, people and almost all dogs.

I just don't know about owning a dog that I have to worry about killing things. I fear our landlord will make us move if there's another incident. We would have nowhere to go if that happened and I'd probably have to rehome both dogs and/or drop at least one of them off at the shelter.

Plus, my children would never forgive me if I had to give away our male dog, and/or if they killed their chickens.

Please, any suggestions. I'm sorry for the slow response. My internet time is severely limited.

thank you wacco community!

Sasha

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #5
    gypsey

Hi Sasha, thanks for your detailed reply. It can be difficult to discern whether this is a true prey drive (attack and kill) vs wanting to chase and mouth something furry or feathery that moves. (Both cats and chickens can be vulnerable this way when the dog's real intent was not to harm.)
    As for shock collars, they do not work on every dog and in every situation. I would suggest you engage a trainer who has handled similar situations in the past and used shock collars successfully as well as other conditioning methods. (One that worked for me is a long rope line --when my dog would lunge to "touch" the kitty, he would go only several feet and I would tug and bring him back while issuing a command.. It took awhile but it worked! Meanwhile both he and the cat were safe and he learned great recall simultaneously.)

I am wondering also why these dogs are running free (if they are) and therefore put in contact with these animals.

Good luck!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sashahom: View Post
    Thank you for your replies! I know that shock collars are not ideal but I am desparate. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 05-27-2016 at 08:46 AM.

9. TopTop #6
    sashahom

thanks for that tip!
    They do not run free. They were on leash a couple of times and knocked me over while I was carrying the baby and chased a cat who did not run but stood its ground. Luckily that cat survived. i understand everyone's response to shock collars. I have tried many things and am just feeling desparate.
    sasha
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by gypsey: View Post
    ...I would suggest you engage a trainer who has handled similar situations in the past and used shock collars successfully as well as other conditioning methods. (One that worked for me is a long rope line --when my dog would lunge to "touch" the kitty, he would go only several feet and I would tug and bring him back while issuing a command.. It took awhile but it worked! ...
    Last edited by Barry; 06-01-2016 at 01:56 PM.