Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    spam1

Slight false advertising

Saw this advert: FREE ANDROID SMART CELL PHONES with Qualification Terms

all is correct, except the phones are not free, their just paid for by other people's money. So easy to forget that.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Shandi

Re: Slight false advertising

Most people don't realize that "FREE" means that it's paid for elsewhere, but that shouldn't stop people from benefiting from the offers. Do any of us reject anything free that we need or can use? Spam1, do you? I've worked for many wealthy people who've taken advantage of free stuff, so for those of us on extremely limited incomes, reducing costs on basic needs like food, communication (phones/Internet/TV), transportation (cheaper gas, Clipper cards), Bogo offers, and anyway we can make our pennies go further is an appealing blessing that makes a dramatic difference in our lives. We all appreciate those who pay to make these essentials available to us. Accept this as my public gratitude if you're one of those people.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by spam1: View Post
    Saw this advert: FREE ANDROID SMART CELL PHONES with Qualification Terms

all is correct, except the phones are not free, their just paid for by other people's money. So easy to forget that.

3. TopTop #3
    spam1

Re: Slight false advertising

You misinterpret me if you think I am against taking freely offered things, and missed the point of my post.

All your examples are different in kind, rather than degree. They are examples of freely entered offers of services, just like any other sale or discounted item which are self limiting (if the offer is too good, the business offering it goes out of business).

That is different than government sponsored programs, which offer items freely to the recipients, but require others to pay for them. So, advertising as "taxpayer funded cell phones for those on other assistance programs" would be a more accurate description.

I'm not sure of the details for the funding of this program, but I believe all other users of phones pay for it in a fee originally intended for "life-line" phones. The ironic thing about this is it offers calling, text and data more generous than many people currently have on their own phones, yet they have to pay for it.

of course, I recommend every individual take every legal advantage of freely offered items, as well as doing ones best to pay the least tax one is legally obligated to pay. and of course I have no issue with people paying more are giving to charity, which I do. Government sponsored programs are not charity, they are the opposite of charity, as the money for these programs (taxes) are acquired through extraordinarily coercive means.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    Most people don't realize that "FREE" means that it's paid for elsewhere, but that shouldn't stop people from benefiting from the offers. Do any of us reject anything free that we need or can use? Spam1, do you? I've worked for many wealthy people who've taken advantage of free stuff, so for those of us on extremely limited incomes, reducing costs on basic needs like food, communication (phones/Internet/TV), transportation (cheaper gas, Clipper cards), Bogo offers, and anyway we can make our pennies go further is an appealing blessing that makes a dramatic difference in our lives. We all appreciate those who pay to make these essentials available to us. Accept this as my public gratitude if you're one of those people.