Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    joloseb

Voter Registration Suppression in S.R. -Incident 3/.31/16

I'd just like to let you guys know, that on March 31st at the downtown Central Federal Post office, as I was registering voters and petitioning peacefully. The US Postal 'supervisor' stated her disapproval and aggressively tried to make me leave the premises. I appealed to the local S.R. policeman there that she (the supervisor at the P.O.) was interfering with my right to freedom of speech and to register voters and petition. After checking precedents with his watch commander/etc, he informed me that I was "correct, and well within my rights" to be there engaging in said activities. He left, as the angry US Postal supervisor fumed and stewed at her inability to bully me or have me removed.

About an hour later, a FEDERAL AGENT showed up and basically attempted to intimidate me with duress to leave the premises. When I told him the police had already said that I was "well within my rights" to be there, he continued to state that they were wrong and that I must leave. I asked for his name and badge number, along with his supervisor and phone number (below), and asked under which law was I being asked to leave. He vaguely quoted that there was some 2010 case which determined that it wasn't allowed (?). I asked him to repeatedly what the complaint was, and to please tell me under which law was I being asked to leave. He did not have that information. He said those were local officers, and this was a federal matter.

I calmly appealed to him that I was an american citizen and lawfully engaged in registering voters and petitioning the state. I asked again what was the actual complaint, and where was it, if he was serving it to me. He continued to tell me that I must leave, but could offer no information on the validity of the complaint or why I must leave. I again appealed to him to please not interfere with my rights to register voters and petition or I would have to file a complaint stating that he had done so. At this point he became flustered, saying, "well, you give me you ID, I'm going to file charges on -YOU-". I again politely asked, "for what, sir? I've been asking you the nature of the complaint for 5 minutes now, and you haven't given me any legal reason".

Unable to, he stands tall and says, " I am a Federal Agent, and I am asking you to leave. Are you refusing to comply?" (some kind of entrapment? *headscratch*)
    My dog was in the car, otherwise I may not have cooperated. Bystanders looked on with jaws dropping... voter registration suppression in Santa Rosa, CA.

Incident: March 31, 2016
    Santa Rosa Central Post Office (4th St.?)
    Federal 'Special Agent' Josh Permoda, badge #6796
    Supervisor Dave Guerra (415)550-5227

Just thought this should be known, and noted. Your welcome to contact me about this incident, or pass this information on if you like. What hogwash! I will continue to register voters.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Agent Winston Smith

Re: Voter Registration Suppression in S.R. -Incident 3/.31/16

What was the "petitioning" about? This doesn't sound like voter suppression. As you've presented the story, it sounds more like whatever your "petitioning" actions were, were what was causing people to want you to leave. I think you're using the term "voter suppression" as a dog whistle when the reality is that it's whatever you're leaving out regarding the "petitioning" actions are what caused some people to want you to leave. What does it mean to petition peacefully? Sounds carefully worded to the point of being disingenuous.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    Shandi

Re: Voter Registration Suppression in S.R. -Incident 3/.31/16

From what he said, he indicated that it was the Postal Supervisor who was disapproving, and wanting him to leave. I can't imagine Joel being anything but peaceful. If he wasn't being peaceful, he could have been arrested. Right? But he asked a SR police officer about it, and was told he was within his rights. Then a FEDERAL AGENT shows up? That seems excessive, and bullying. The agent didn't even know what law he was breaking. Sorry, but my empathy is with the Joel, and his work to get signatures for a very important local issue. To indicate that he was petitioning "peacefully", means to me, that there was no cause for detaining him. He's making his position clear. You haven't stated what the actual details of this incident are, since it seems that you weren't present. Why isn't Agent Josh Permoda responding to this? Seems a bit disingenuous.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-06-2016 at 12:11 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: