Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Extra!! Extra!! WaccoBB Hacked!!

Yep, apparently we've made it to the big time...
    :eek: WaccoBB got Hacked! :eek:
    Sometime early this afternoon someone got into the website and changed the code so that all the was displayed on the home page was:

Quote by Thehacker // Turkish Hacker
    Nicely enough, it wasn't that hard to fix, although I am not sure I have found & fixed all the changes. If you notice something strange or not working, please let me know.

It's been strange times on the technical side Waccoville. I've started to receive duplicate emails for a lot of the postings and the Daily Digest stopped working a few days ago for unknown reasons. I've got the Digest patched together with some string and chewing gum for now, and have begun the process of transferring the site to our wonderful local Internet Service Provider, Sonic.net, which will take a few days. I'll post more about the move to Sonic.net soon.

For you webmasters out there: As part of that process, I am also changing the domain registrar to Sonic.net from GoDaddy.com and to do so I had to "unlock the domains". I presume this created the security hole.

Anywho... all's well now (I think!) so...

Have a great Labor Day!

Barry Chertoff
    Director of Homeland Security

Last edited by Barry; 09-04-2006 at 12:31 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    helenscott08

Re: Extra!! Extra!! WaccoBB Hacked!!

:)Thanks very much for your speedy work in getting Waccobb back in working order. It is sad that some people get so much fun out of making others work. Again, thanks for everything.

helen scott

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry:
    Sometime early this afternoon someone got into the website and changed the code so that all the was displayed on the home page was:

Nicely enough, it wasn't that hard to fix, although I am not sure I have found & fixed all the changes. If you notice something strange or not working, please let me know.

It's been strange times on the technical side Waccoville. I've started to receive duplicate emails for a lot of the postings and the Daily Digest stopped working a few days ago for unknown reasons. I've got the Digest patched together with some string and chewing gum for now, and have begun the process of transferring the site to our wonderful local Internet Service Provider, Sonic.net, which will take a few days. I'll post more about the move to Sonic.net soon.

For you webmasters out there: As part of that process, I am also changing the domain registrar to Sonic.net from GoDaddy.com and to do so I had to "unlock the domains". I presume this created the security hole.

Have a great Labor Day!

Barry Chertoff

3. TopTop #3
    bobafifi

Google is still showing it as the top return for waccobb (though it's no longer in the cache):

4. TopTop #4
    Cherish

Have a great Labor Day!

Barry Chertoff

Barry: "Director of Homeland Security" You forgot to mention SEBASTOPOL Branch!!! Keep up the good work. Cherish
    Last edited by Barry; 09-05-2006 at 12:41 PM.

5. TopTop #5
    Amused

Hello. I tried to click on the archive button and it sent me that same message (something about thehacker...whatever). This was at 10:15pm on 09/05...
    Last edited by Barry; 09-05-2006 at 10:26 PM.

6. TopTop #6
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Cherish:
    Barry: "Director of Homeland Security" You forgot to mention SEBASTOPOL Branch!!! Keep up the good work. Cherish
    Thanks for catching that! Fixed!