Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    AbigailFerris

Help for Senior Dog losing strength

Tanner is a 15-year-old, 60 + pound mixed breed dog who is losing muscle mass, and becoming weak in his joints; however he still has the will to go for walks and play. Any suggestions for ways to help him re-build strength and balance are welcome. I've heard about water therapy, but can't find anyone who offers it in Sonoma County.
    Ideas?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    gypsey

Re: Help for Senior Dog losing strength

I am not sure that Tanner, at the end of his life, is in a position to rebuild and wonder if it might be more wise to focus on his comfort and quality of life as he is, now. Have you talked to his vet and what does she recommend?
    That said, I would not rule out supportive therapy including water therapy if the vet approves, which I believe is offered in Santa Rosa. (Check out various dog sport/care places, including locally K9 activity center..)
    At the same time, your vet might recommend supplements to improve joint performance.

The bottom line is how to ensure Tanner has a comfortable old age and enjoys it too. Friends whose dogs experienced balance and mobility problems in later life relied on a set of "wheels" for the back legs, and also, in differing circumstances, a cloth "lift" to help support the dog getting up and down.

I feel for you as you go through this important stage of life with Tanner. I hope you are able to make his final time here as wonderful to him has it has always been, by being with you. What can It matter to Tanner if his walks are short and his play time limited by his disability if in fact, he is enjoying it all with You? That's what counts for Tanner: YOU..

With compassion and love,
    Gypsey

Quote Posted in reply to the post by AbigailFerris: View Post
    Tanner is a 15-year-old, 60 + pound mixed breed dog who is losing muscle mass, and becoming weak in his joints; however he still has the will to go for walks and play. Any suggestions for ways to help him re-build strength and balance are welcome. I've heard about water therapy, but can't find anyone who offers it in Sonoma County.
    Ideas?

4. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Donna LaGraffe

The VCA in Rohnert Park has an underwater treadmill
    K9 Activity Club in Santa Rosa has dog pools with option of private time for your dog
    Paradise Pet Resort in Rohnert Park has outdoor pool - one dog at a time

Good luck!

Ideas?

6. TopTop #4
    diaba

Tanner is a 15-year-old, 60 + pound mixed breed dog who is losing muscle mass, and becoming weak in his joints; ... Any suggestions for ways to help him re-build strength and balance are welcome. ...Ideas?
    I tried walking wheels ,a dog wheelchair for my dog. They are cheaper than custom chairs, and adjustable. It didn't work out for us because his front legs were also weak, but many people have had good success with them. I bought mine used on ebay, and quickly re-sold it on craigslist when it didn't work out.

Also using mats on slick floors, ramps for steps/car,a sweater for warmth(chilly dogs in Canada makes nice ones) can be helpful.

There are also exercise programs online for degenerative myelopathy that would address the strength/balance issues if he is able to do them.

Also gentle massage can be nice, feels good, and will increase circulation.

take care
    Last edited by Barry; 03-10-2016 at 12:51 PM.

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

8. TopTop #5
    AbigailFerris

Thank you for all the good ideas! My latest effort is a product called "Paw Friction", rated five stars on Amazon. It's a coating that gives traction on the pads. Hoping to apply that tonight; the only catch is avoiding water contact for 12 hours! Tough to do for a dog with kidney disease, that receives 1,000 cc of subcutaneous fluids each evening.

I'll check into the walking wheels, for sure! Best wishes,
    Abigail
    Last edited by Barry; 03-10-2016 at 12:52 PM.

9. TopTop #6
    diaba

Forgot to mention what was most helpful for us, a harness called Help em up Harness. cost $100 and worth every penny. Helped us prevent him from falling, even helpful for support for things like squatting to poop.