Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

CVS Building Permit Issued - Demolition to start next week

For better and worse, Larry McLaughlin, Sebastopol City Manager, announced at the Sebastopol City Council meeting tonight, that CVS has been issued issued their initial permits (demolition, grading and building) and that he expects demolition to start next week.

This is also triggers payments from CVS/Armstrong properties to the city pursuant to the settlement agreement.

Last edited by Barry; 03-02-2016 at 02:50 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Richard Nichols

Re: CVS Building Permit Issued - Demolition to start next week

sad, the a******* won. We just get used to it. I woulda loved to see those old building fixed up and used for useful purposes, not torn down so a mega corp could rip off more people. I'm boycotting. Never set foot in the McDonalds shopping center and will never use CVS. Perhaps CVS will go the way of McD if enough people boycott.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    For better and worse, Larry McLaughlin, Sebastopol City Manager, announced at the Sebastopol City Council meeting tonight, that CVS has been issued issued their initial permits (demolition, grading and building) and that he expects demolition to start next week...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 03-03-2016 at 12:37 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Ted Pole

Just wondering why you're boycotting the "McDonalds shopping center"? I've only lived here ten years so was there some similar protest to that shopping center being built?

Too bad you're boycotting it, because you're missing out on some nice local businesses. The Inkstore is a good place to get replacement cartridges for your printer (especially if it's an older model like mine that the Office Depots of the world no longer see fit to carry). Also, the fabric store is very nice, as is the nail salon.

I was sorry to see McDonalds close because now I will have to drive all the way to Santa Rosa if I want Scottish food. But, the Round Table will be opening there soon, so we'll still have at least one mega chain to boycott there.

You're right about the CVS though. Whatta drag. I've come to love the dystopian wabi-sabi.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Richard Nichols: View Post
    sad, the a******* won. We just get used to it. I woulda loved to see those old building fixed up and used for useful purposes, not torn down so a mega corp could rip off more people. I'm boycotting. Never set foot in the McDonalds shopping center and will never use CVS. Perhaps CVS will go the way of McD if enough people boycott.

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #4
    Richard Nichols

ah, the ironic sarcasm.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ted Pole: View Post
    ...I was sorry to see McDonalds close because now I will have to drive all the way to Santa Rosa if I want Scottish food. But, the Round Table will be opening there soon, so we'll still have at least one mega chain to boycott there.

You're right about the CVS though. Whatta drag. I've come to love the dystopian wabi-sabi.

Last edited by Barry; 03-04-2016 at 03:08 PM.

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #5
    Ted Pole

ah, the ironic sarcasm.
    Well, yeah, a little. But I was serious in the first two paragraphs. Was there a problem with that shopping center being built back in the day?

10. TopTop #6
    wolfe23v

I don't think there is any problem with the shopping center!
    Last edited by Barry; 03-04-2016 at 03:08 PM.

11. TopTop #7
    Richard Nichols

Now that McD is gone I might have occasion to use some business there. Not much of a shopper though.

Many people opposed McD for several reasons.
    The food is bad tasting
    The food unhealthy (see Supersize This)
    The Amazon is (was) being destoyed to feed the cows that feed the McD food factory machine.

Thats about it. Nobody is a purist, but we do what little we can to battle the corporate takeover of the country.

Shopping centers are grand, are they not? Except they kill community.

ah, the ironic sarcasm.
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 03-05-2016 at 12:56 PM.

12. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

13. TopTop #8
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ted Pole: View Post
    I was sorry to see McDonalds close because now I will have to drive all the way to Santa Rosa if I want Scottish food.
    rats, I was looking forward to trying the new McHaggisBurger.

14. Gratitude expressed by:

15. TopTop #9
    Shepherd

I have a confession to make. While I was in high school, I was a cook at McDonald's. Bad me! It helped put me through college. Years later, I wrote an article called "Confessions of a McDonald's Cook," which Grist published. Even worse, I used to work at a munitions factory building weapons. Worse me.

We all have skeletons in our skeletons in our closets. I try to live in a perfection-free zone. I am part Welsh, with that Celtic blood and loved my time in Scotland at the Findhorn Foundation. Carry on, blemishes and all.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post

16. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

17. TopTop #10
    Ted Pole

Well, that is where I'm a bit confused. I've no qualms with how any of us make our choices as a consumer, especially those of us of like mind. We all do what we can, and I don't boycott McDonalds as much as I simply avoid them, and for all the same reasons you mention.

I just couldn't figure out why paint the entire shopping center with the broad brush of fervor. It punishes the smaller, locally-owned tenants (i.e. community) for being located next door to a business we don't like. And once you get out of downtown S'pol, you'll be hard pressed not to find a shopping area not tainted by some national chain or the other. But, and I am being quite serious here, I admire your efforts in preserving small c commerce.

Now that McD is gone I might have occasion to use some business there. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 03-06-2016 at 01:31 PM.

18. Gratitude expressed by:

19. TopTop #11
    Richard Nichols

Does anyone know what haggis is but the Irish?

Funny how this thead on CVS morphed into stuff about McGarbage burgers.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post

20. TopTop #12
    Richard Nichols

It's ok Shepherd, ignorence is bliss. At least you didn't get fat when you cooked there.

Speaking of skeletons, most of us drive around in a deadly weapon and the earth and creatures are paying for it.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    I have a confession to make. While I was in high school, I was a cook at McDonald's. Bad me! It helped put me through college. Years later, I wrote an article called "Confessions of a McDonald's Cook," which Grist published. Even worse, I used to work at a munitions factory building weapons. Worse me.

We all have skeletons in our skeletons in our closets. I try to live in a perfection-free zone. I am part Welsh, with that Celtic blood and loved my time in Scotland at the Findhorn Foundation. Carry on, blemishes and all.

21. TopTop #13
    Shepherd

Actually, while working at McDonald's, I was 180 pounds. My football coach beefed me up. I now weigh 135 pounds, once I learned that under-nutrition without malnutrition is key to living a long life. Eat less, drink more water. The man who taught me how to grow berries, Scott Nearing in Maine, lived to be 100-years-old. That is my goal. I have 29 more years to go.

At 100, not sick, Nearing, author of around 35 books and builder of 45 stone structures, started fasting, while continuing to drink water, and went down from about 150 pounds to 90 pounds, and then went out--lucid. He invited us to come by and say "good-bye." This is an old-fasioned way to go.

I do admit to being ignorant, as Richard says.

It's ok Shepherd, ignorence is bliss. At least you didn't get fat when you cooked there.

Speaking of skeletons, most of us drive around in a deadly weapon and the earth and creatures are paying for it.

22. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

23. TopTop #14
    gardenmaniac

really? this is it? how the heck will this impact entrance and egress on 12, not to mention 116? And how long til the abomination at Llano Road goes thru?

For better and worse, Larry McLaughlin, Sebastopol City Manager, announced at the Sebastopol City Council meeting tonight, that CVS has been issued issued their initial permits (demolition, grading and building) and that he expects demolition to start next week.

This is also triggers payments from CVS/Armstrong properties to the city pursuant to the settlement agreement.

24. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

25. TopTop #15
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gardenmaniac: View Post
    really? this is it?
    Yup.

Quote how the heck will this impact entrance and egress on 12, not to mention 116?
    That remains to be seen. Sounds like a nightmare to me!

Quote And how long til the abomination at Llano Road goes thru?
    I presume you mean the Dairyman Winery. That's far from a done deal. The last substantial news on that proposed project was that Sonoma County Parks Director Caryl Hart "has found that the owner of a vineyard near Sebastopol has no current legal right to access his property by crossing the Joe Rodota Trail."

Anybody aware of further news about this? Or any organizing around the campaign to prevent it?
    Last edited by Barry; 03-11-2016 at 03:07 PM.

26. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

27. TopTop #16
    eszter

.....I presume you mean the Dairyman Winery. That's far from a done deal....
    Anybody aware of further news about this? Or any organizing around the campaign to prevent it?
    I am on the steering committee of Preserve Rural Sonoma County, a group dedicated to fighting the expansion of wineries and their event centers in rural areas and the coast, particularly Dairyman. Check out www.preserveruralsonomacounty.org and Neigbors to Preserve Rural Sonoma County on Facebook. We have been organizing for a year now.

After Caryl Hart's letter, PRMD wrote to Wagner, the Dairyman owner, saying his application is incomplete and he should send in more information. So right now it is a waiting game.

On April 28, we and KOWS radio are hosting a forum to hear all the candidates running for 5th District Supervisor. Doors open at 6:30, forum from 7-9. Sebastopol Center for the Arts. Hope you all can attend!
    Last edited by Barry; 03-12-2016 at 04:58 PM.

28. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

29. TopTop #17
    pearl g

I'm finally chiming in on this as I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning...
    I'm sick and tired of these oligarchies! City councils, HOAs, and corporations are not always working in the people's interests. Nay, they line their fat pockets while spitting in the faces of the electorate and destroying nature.
    We have a CVS. We have plenty of globo-corp interests in our town. We have too much wine from our little Sebastopol.
    When is enough enough?
    Enough pharmaceuticals, enough noise, enough air a water pollution, and enough logging (I.e.Sea Ranch).

30. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

31. TopTop #18
    gardenmaniac

thanks for the work you are doing, Eszter, and for keeping us informed ... Ruth

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Eszter Freeman: View Post
    I am on the steering committee of Preserve Rural Sonoma County...

32. TopTop #19
    WaccoBB Poet Laureate

The best way to stop the proposed Dairyman wine factory on Llano Rd. is to elect Noreen Evans as 5th district supervisor. This will ensure that we have a solid three votes on the BOS against this project.

33. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

34. TopTop #20

YAH, I am sick of it too. What ever happened to Peacetown?? Thanks for expressing your rage; helps me get in touch with mine... without "pounding pillows!"
    Rev. BE

Quote Posted in reply to the post by pearl g: View Post
    I'm finally chiming in on this as I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning...
    I'm sick and tired of these oligarchies! City councils, HOAs, and corporations are not always working in the people's interests. Nay, they line their fat pockets while spitting in the faces of the electorate and destroying nature.
    We have a CVS. We have plenty of globo-corp interests in our town. We have too much wine from our little Sebastopol.
    When is enough enough?
    Enough pharmaceuticals, enough noise, enough air a water pollution, and enough logging (I.e.Sea Ranch).

35. TopTop #21
    mrsmoose1478

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    Actually, while working at McDonald's, I was 180 pounds. My football coach beefed me up. I now weigh 135 pounds, once I learned that under-nutrition without malnutrition is key to living a long life. Eat less, drink more water. The man who taught me how to grow berries, Scott Nearing in Maine, lived to be 100-years-old. That is my goal. I have 29 more years to go.

At 100, not sick, Nearing, author of around 35 books and builder of 45 stone structures, started fasting, while continuing to drink water, and went down from about 150 pounds to 90 pounds, and then went out--lucid. He invited us to come by and say "good-bye." This is an old-fasioned way to go.

I do admit to being ignorant, as Richard says.
    OMG! I met Scott and Helen Nearing in Maine in 1982. My dad was a Unitarian Universalist minister, and that year their General Assembly was held at Bodoin College in Brunswick. I went that year to hang with my dad & experience a side of Maine I hadn't seen. I believe at that time, Scott was 99 and Helen was 79. They were a wonderful couple!

36. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

37. TopTop #22
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

This thread is closed. The conversation continues on a new thread here.