Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    luke32

Why no WACCO interest in reported racial taunting at Analy High?

It has been two neys cycles since the PD reported on racial taunting among Analy High students and there has been nothing here on WACCO. I mean we have a plea for more money for the hospital, continued interest in wineries and, oh, those trees in Santa Rosa, but no reaction to the PD story of Friday on this potentially town character-threatening accusation. Maybe its too early and we are all shocked (I am) - particularly by, on the surface, the Analy High Administration's response.

Any ideas why we are mum - to this point?

Analy High School students accused of racist insults and threats
    LORI A. CARTER
    THE PRESS DEMOCRAT | January 29, 2016, 12:07AM

A Santa Rosa couple says their mixed-race son was subjected to racist insults and threats over two years at Analy High School and that when they reported it to school officials in August, none of the alleged perpetrators was punished.

They say the school’s inaction allows and encourages a hostile, threatening learning environment, and they are hoping to force change by speaking out about it now.

The district superintendent denies the Sebastopol high school has a race problem and said students often police themselves when they see peers acting inappropriately. Analy has 1,300 pupils, 75 percent of whom are white and 5 percent of whom are black or biracial.

The boy, Evan Mack, spent a month at the beginning of this school year on independent study after his parents formally complained to the district. He didn’t feel safe at school after being called racist names and otherwise racially harassed in class, at football practice and on social media, said his mother, Raquel Mack.

Mack has since transferred to another school and is succeeding academically and is much happier, she said.
    But his mother said that’s not enough. She and her husband, John, are not satisfied with what she calls a perfunctory and incomplete investigation by the school.

School officials did not question several involved students and staff members, and the investigation only touched on two of numerous incidents the Macks reported, according to a copy of the findings provided by the Macks.

“What does it say when you go to an institution like a school that is supposed to be a safe place, and they don’t do anything to help, and, in fact, make it more difficult on your child?” she said.

“People need to know. There will be other black kids who go through the school system there. I don’t want them to go through this.”

Safeguards questioned

West Sonoma County Union High School District Superintendent Steven Kellner said he couldn’t speak directly about the incidents because of student privacy rights. He maintains Analy and the other west county campuses have “a positive school culture.”

The school trains a handful of students each year as “safe school ambassadors” who “intervene directly with students when they see conflict arise, whether it’s physical or virtual,” Kellner said. Or they can enlist the help of an adult if it rises to a higher level, he said.

Continue reading here: Analy High School students accused of racist insults and threats
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 01-31-2016 at 02:11 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Shandi

Re: Why no WACCO interest in reported racial taunting at Analy High?

I don't read the Press Democrat, and don't watch the news, so I miss many local events. I appreciate your sharing of this on WaccoBB, since it's my main source of local, controversial topics.

The fact of how the school responded to this outright racism, with no action, and generalizing with statements like "students often police themselves when they see peers acting inappropriately". Maybe they didn't think the harassment was inappropriate. Also, it appears that none of the "safe school ambassadors" made it their business to intervene or to get adult help. This is speculation on my part. I didn't read the rest of the article because it took me to PD ads.

I wonder what the parents have in mind now. A lawsuit maybe? They might be within their rights.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by luke32: View Post
    It has been two neys cycles since the PD reported on racial taunting among Analy High students and there has been nothing here on WACCO...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 02-01-2016 at 12:28 PM.

4. TopTop #3
    viajera

Actually, I wasn't shocked by the article.
    But I was shocked and pleased at the same time that it made front page news in the PD.
    The last line in the article is key: T
    here needs to be an anti-racism curriculum for students and faculty.
    I might add that an anti bullying curriculum would also be helpful.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by luke32: View Post
    It has been two neys cycles since the PD reported on racial taunting among Analy High students and there has been nothing here on WACCO. I mean we have a plea for more money for the hospital, continued interest in wineries and, oh, those trees in Santa Rosa, but no reaction to the PD story of Friday on this potentially town character-threatening accusation. Maybe its too early and we are all shocked (I am) - particularly by, on the surface, the Analy High Administration's response...

5. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

6. TopTop #4
    jesswolfe

I also don't read the PD and usually hear things thru WACCO. So thank you for posting the article here.

I'm also not surprised by the way this was handled. I had the unfortunate, dubious pleasure of dealing with the faculty at Analy when I needed to enroll my daughter several years ago. The people I spoke to were hostile and were uninterested in making any accommodations to meet her needs, until I strongly pushed the issue. Anyone who is in any way different isn't very welcome there. At least that was my experience. I'm hoping I'm wrong but...

Jessica

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: