Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shandi

Need anyone's LANDLORD TENANT issues experience with LEGAL SHIELD attorney, or ANY issues

I'm beginning a process to help my mentally ill, physically disabled friend, who's been paying $800 rent, out of a $900 SSI check for 7 years. Now his slumlord has given notice for a $200 rent increase. This will put him on the street, and it's a death sentence for someone with diabetes, congestive heart issues, asthma, neuropathy in his feet, and BiPolar disorder. His studio apt. is in serious disrepair. The ceiling in the bathroom is ready to fall in, from water leakage in above apt. The toilet is seriously leaning off to one side. The floor tiles are all lifting. The place is home to large numbers of cockroaches, mice and rats.

He's afraid to tell the manager because he's afraid of being kicked out. His parents are also mentally and physically ill, and support his fears. They are both extremely fearful and paranoid. His entire family has mental and emotional problems. I'm the only sane one in his life, for the past 25 years.

The rent increase notice was given to his mother, who just recently released it to me. He has 2 weeks left to sign this before he's evicted. I don't think he's competent to sign a lease, and there was never one signed when he was moved in by a previous social worker. He hasn't had a case worker for 7 years.

I want to start with the most efficient process to halt this action, and I've been given names of several resources, including Legal Aid, Housing Authority, and others. Today I was told about Legal Shield, and wondered if anyone has experience using this service for anything other than standard legal stuff like ID theft, wills, etc.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Stmills12

Re: Need anyone's LANDLORD TENANT issues experience with LEGAL SHIELD attorney, or ANY iss

Housing Authority would be a good start for what you described.
    But Legal Aid helped is deal with a terrible landlord tenant issue, they were very helpful but it was a long wait and first come first serve to the clinics or at least it used to be.

3. TopTop #3
    tommy

Re: Need anyone's LANDLORD TENANT issues experience with LEGAL SHIELD attorney, or ANY iss

With a $200 increase from $800/month, the landlord is obligated to give 60 days notice, since it's more than 20% increase.

If there are habitability issues (eg. ceiling & floor falling in, cockroaches), the tenant or their representative should photograph them, send to landlord, & request repair. It's not legal for a landlord to give someone notice, because they complain about needed repairs. Of course the landlord could terminate lease, but this could be viewed as a "retaliatory eviction"... retaliating for the request for repairs. The tenant could refuse to vacate, and ultimately fight the eviction in court. Regardless, this bodes unwell for the landlord/tenant relationship, to say the least. It is legal for the landlord to raise the rent to whatever they want. If the tenant is bipolar, he could quality for housing for those with special needs, offered by community agencies. The best option is probably for him to get a Section 8 voucher. If he's connected with an agency like Catholic Charities, sometime they have emergency Sec 8 vouchers... although women with children seem to be favored for those, over single men.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    ...The rent increase notice was given to his mother, who just recently released it to me...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 12-15-2015 at 12:43 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by: