Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shepherd

PD cover article 12/4 on pesticide damage to children

The following article on pesticide damage to children by LA Times reporter Geoffrey Mohan--who previously published an article on the Sonoma County's wine industry's use of water--appeared on the front page of yesterday's PD. However, I was unable find this article online at the PD, only by going directly to the original LA Times version.

These studies were done on farmworker children in the Salinas Valley, and they also apply to farmworker children in Sonoma County's extensive wine industry, which uses some of the same pesticides. In addition to the Farm Bureau lobbying against further restrictions for pesticide use in school zones, mentioned at the end of the article, the wine industry has also been part of that lobby.

My appreciation to the PD for publishing this article. It is too bad that it does not assign PD reporters to do such serious studies of the multiple damages of the wine industry to humans, other animals, and the environment itself. It seems as if they are covering-up how deadly the wine industry is to the health of children, as well as farmworkers. The many costs of SoCo's huge wine industry far outweigh its limited economic benefits to a few. The organophosphates and chlorpyrifos pesticides mentioned here have been banned from home use. They should be banned from agricultural use.
    Shepherd

Pesticides as bad for kids' lungs as cigarette smoke, study says

BY GEOFFREY MOHAN, December 3, 2015, Los Angeles Times

Chronic exposure to pesticides can damage children's lung function by about as much as secondhand cigarette smoke does, according to a study of farmworker children in the Salinas Valley.

The long-term study of 279 children from farmworker families is the first to suggest that even being one step removed from pesticides can bring harm to children's lungs. Previous studies examined effects on adults who spray the chemicals or work in fields where the pesticides are applied.

"This is really the first time that it’s a residential population, and a residential population of children,” said study coauthor Brenda Eskenazi, an epidemiologist at UC Berkeley.

The children have been followed since birth as part of a broader study that began about 15 years ago with 601 pregnant women in the Salinas Valley, conducted by the Center for the Health Assessment of Mothers and Children of Salinas, CHAMACOS.

Previous studies from that group have turned up correlations between organophosphate exposure to pregnant women and shorter-duration pregnancies, diminished reflexes in their babies, and lower cognitive function in older children.

Continue reading here: https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...202-story.html
    Last edited by Barry; 12-05-2015 at 03:13 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Shandi

Re: PD cover article 12/4 on pesticide damage to children

Even without a "study", I would imagine that many people could safely make this assumption. Those of us who've lived long enough to assimilate chemical toxins at a lower rate, and over a period of time, may not be as at risk as children who are more vulnerable. Children who are exposed to pesticides in the fields, and in addition have poor nutrition, are at a highly increased risk.

The last line in your post seems suspicious to me, and I wonder about this:
    "Charlotte Fadipe, a spokeswoman for the California Department of Pesticide Regulation, said agency scientists would review the new study, but would not publicly comment on it."

I'm remembering the article in Wacco about the vineyards being sprayed very close to a local school. I didn't follow that, so I don't know the outcome of the outrage by parents and teachers. Does anyone know?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    The following article on pesticide damage to children by LA Times reporter Geoffrey Mohan...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 12-05-2015 at 01:16 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    Goat Rock Ukulele

Just read a study about pesticides in milk causing parkinson's 25 years after the exposures. They come along with new chemicals to kill insects every couple of years. It's basically experimenting on the public.

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

7. TopTop #4
    arthunter

perhaps this is why they won't publicly comment on it ...

https://www.motherjones.com/tom-phil...icide-research
    Last edited by Barry; 12-13-2015 at 11:55 AM.

8. Gratitude expressed by: