Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    mister mac

Housing, clothing and suggestions desperately needed for my granddaughter and family

Good morning WACCO Community ~

I'm reaching out to my community because I am at a loss right now. I have a responsibility for my granddaughter, like any other grandparent. She is eight years old. I don’t want to see her and her family out on the street because they're homeless. Last week I flew all of them back home from Hawaii. They were living in a motel for one year, their situation was getting worse and I wanted my granddaughter closer. I have done everything in my power to keep them off the streets: staying at my house temporarily, renting them a car, having them stay in a motel, providing child care for them while they go to social service for their appointment . . .

Granted, they have issues, but I believe once they get on their feet it will be a better life for my granddaughter and for all. My ex daughter-in-law remarried and has a 10-month-old as well. So there is a family of four.
    Some may say I am enabling, but they need help. I know they have registered with the homeless, COTS in Petaluma, food stamps, WIC, signing up with doctors, etc. They’ve made phone calls, got on lists. They need warm clothes the mother is X-large so she’ll need the larger size. The Mom has only summer clothing, in flip-flops and Capri pants.

So X-large warm coat, X-large warm anything. :)

My granddaughter's grandmother has taken care of the clothing situation for our granddaughter. What to do?
    We hear so much about homeless and refugees, children not getting the right nutrition. This is happening in our own backyard I want to help this family and I'm reaching out to the community for ideas and support. Is there anyone out there who also wants to help in some way? I am open to all kinds of ideas or opinions.
    Thank you so much, and happy holidays to you and your families!

Mark Wiley 707-543-6432
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Shandi

Re: Housing, clothing and suggestions desperately needed for my granddaughter and family

Thank you for your heartful compassion. I've done the very same thing for homeless strangers with children, a couple of winters ago.

Crossing the Jordon helps women and children, so you may want to contact them. Sorry I don't have the number, and am on the run.

The
    Catholic Church sometimes provides first/last rent and deposits along with monthly supplements for utilities. Contact the one in your area, where you want them to live. Also, try other churches
    UCC in Sebastopol, ask for referrals. Start a "GoFundMe" page.

Thousands of dollars can be raised in a few days, with a good picture and story, especially at this time of year.

Ask a Wacco photographer to take a publicity photo of them, on a donation basis.

Post the story in the
    on line Gazette. Then others later.

Post on
    CL in WANTED. Post on Facebook "Sonoma County Rentals"

Post on your neighborhood
    Nextdoor.com Get the word out on as many sites as possible. Others have been helped; they can too.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by mister mac: View Post
    I'm reaching out to my community because I am at a loss right now....

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    Jude Iam

Re: Housing, clothing and suggestions desperately needed for my granddaughter and family

if clothes are still needed, a one stop (well, maybe a couple of stops) shopping spree at yolanda street - between santa rosa avenue south and petaluma hill road - SALVATION ARMY is in order.
    lots of great stuff there - whatever you need, in fact. VERY inexpensive. have fun.
    jude
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 12-05-2015 at 01:12 PM.

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

6. TopTop #4
    Shandi

Also, please see my post under For Sale, FREE, etc.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    Thank you for your heartful compassion. I've done the very same thing for homeless strangers with children, a couple of winters ago.

Crossing the Jordon helps women and children, so you may want to contact them. Sorry I don't have the number, and am on the run.

The
    Catholic Church sometimes provides first/last rent and deposits along with monthly supplements for utilities. Contact the one in your area, where you want them to live. Also, try other churches
    UCC in Sebastopol, ask for referrals. Start a "GoFundMe" page.

Thousands of dollars can be raised in a few days, with a good picture and story, especially at this time of year.

Ask a Wacco photographer to take a publicity photo of them, on a donation basis.

Post the story in the
    on line Gazette. Then others later.

Post on
    CL in WANTED. Post on Facebook "Sonoma County Rentals"

Post on your neighborhood
    Nextdoor.com Get the word out on as many sites as possible. Others have been helped; they can too.