Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: A dump on Barry
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    elephantbrain

A dump on Barry

Quote Posted in reply to the post by julfire:
    I'm not sure I like this feature. Do those who get picked pay for it in some way or is it just Barry's personal opinion? Either way, is it really fair to those other things going on? I think if you are going to do this, Barry, you should have a seaparate catagory for this and not have it be at the top of the page of the general catagory where it really looks like favoritism.

what do others think?

Julia
    With all due respect to our beloved moderator, who can, of course, do whatever he pleases on this website (but does might make right?): When I first saw "Barry's Picks," I felt a distinct empathic twinge for people posting similar, competing events on the same date. Now, suddenly, someone's post becomes the equivalent of a paid ad; and someone else, far down the list, might need to do or buy extra advertising to get equal exposure. There is a hint of unfair competition, and I think it runs counter to the presumed egalitarian spirit of this board. Or do we really want to start seeing, in addition to all the posts already here: "Jessie's Picks," and "Barbara's Picks," and "Ed's Picks," etc. Besides, does anyone really appreciate the opportunity this provides Barry for sexual monopoly? Are we really going to stand for that? Are we really going to allow this temptation to stand in front of Barry, our beloved moderator? I know Barry to be a fine young man of integrity and honor, and I say we don't allow it. Do we really want to wake up one day to find our beloved moderator has traded a "Barry's Pick" for a blow job?...And now, competing promotors, possibly already stressed before their events, get to amplify such thoughts as, "Oh, great, so now I'm not the cool one; nobody's going to come; I'm screwed, etc." Why create more suffering in the world? I know your tough love says, "Taste the heel of free enterprise, take responsibility for your thoughts;" but why be tough when you can be kind? At the very least, if you're going to do "Barry's Picks," then put similar competing events together at the top, a few days before the event. That might even out the competition. Elephant Brain A Dump for You
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    ingo

Re: The "Barry's picks" category???

Well, Elephanbrain's first message brings up a point ----

I'll be happy to sacrifice myself and provide an alternative to Barry's "monopoly" by promoting YOUR event in "Ingo's Picks" for equal such reimbursements...discounts available, pending on qualifications...references preferred...

Ingo

PS. NOT!

3. TopTop #3
    WhirledWords
    Supporting Member

Oh, crimminee, give Barry a break. For all he does to keep this community service going I've no objection to his voicing his opinions and putting them right up top. Biggus dealus. If you know Barry, and you know his taste, it may make it easier to decide if his choices might also please (or displease) you. And otherwise, what? Our poor sheep brains will go baa baa after the weird band that he recommends and miss the enlightening event that shared the same time and space? Let a little air in.

4. TopTop #4
    Joan Price

Quote Posted in reply to the post by elephantbrain:
    With all due respect to our beloved moderator, who can, of course, do whatever he pleases on this website (but does might make right?)...There is a hint of unfair competition, and I think it runs counter to the presumed egalitarian spirit of this board... I say we don't allow it. Do we really want to wake up one day to find our beloved moderator has traded a "Barry's Pick" for a blow job?....
    Oh dear! Barry devotes his time and money to this bulletin board, providing us with a forum for any idea or event or need, and now you're fantacizing that he's trading his Pick for sex? Bizarre thought indeed.

Of course Barry can do whatever he wants on this BB, and none of us has the right to refuse to "allow it"! Barry makes the rules, and from everything I've read, he's extremely fair and supremely generous with his time and expertise. Go for it, Barry.

Joan Price
    Author of Better Than I Ever Expected: Straight Talk about Sex After Sixty (Seal Press, 2006)

Join us -- we're talking about ageless sexuality at
    https://www.betterthanieverexpected.blogspot.com

5. TopTop #5
    Dixon

Oooh, oooh, I've gotta get a piece of the action! I'm now taking "bids" for the honor of being "Dixon's Pick"!

Who's yer daddy?
    Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ingo:
    Well, Elephanbrain's first message brings up a point ----

I'll be happy to sacrifice myself and provide an alternative to Barry's "monopoly" by promoting YOUR event in "Ingo's Picks" for equal such reimbursements...discounts available, pending on qualifications...references preferred...

Ingo

PS. NOT!