Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Hotspring 44

bicycles, cars and sharing the road along roads & Highways

I will start with:
    I think this thread belongs more so here in Wacco Talk instead of "General Community". I was inspired to write this thread from the "Do you want bike lanes along Highway 116?" thread mainly because of the 2 comments that I saw there in response to it that gave me some concern about the attitudes of both motor vehicle drivers and bicyclists seem to have about each other.

Motor vehicle drivers should be aware that;

Quote Bicyclists:

Are entitled to share the road with motor vehicles.

Have the same rights and responsibilities as motor vehicle and motorcycle drivers”...
    ...However bicyclists should be aware that (they);

QuoteHave the same rights

and responsibilities as motor vehicle and motorcycle drivers”...

Must obey all traffic signals and stop signs.”
    Motor vehicle drivers should also be aware that (bicyclists);

QuoteAre lawfully permitted to ride on certain sections of roadway in rural areas where there is no alternate route.”.../
    And:

Quote Bicyclists may occupy the center of the lane when conditions such as a
    narrow lane or road hazard make it unsafe to ride in a position that
    may provide room for a vehicle to pass.

With any slow-moving vehicle
    or bicycle, drivers should follow at a safe distance...
    ...I will say again:

Quote … “Bicyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as vehicle and motorcycle drivers.”
    Quote Respect the right-of-way of bicyclists because they are entitled to share the road with
    other drivers. Bicycles may be traveling faster than you...

...Remember, bicyclists are entitled to share the road with other drivers.”
    ...However bicyclists should also be aware that;

Quote …“When it is safe, the
    bicyclists should move to a position that allows vehicles to pass.”
    and also:

QuoteMust ride in the same direction as other traffic, not against it.”
    Unfortunately, there are so many motor vehicle drivers and bicyclists that don't follow those basic common sense traffic laws that there will continue be conflicts.

Note:
    The wording with quotations ({but} not my emphasis to it with coloring division of and underlining etc.) is from the California drivers handbook {Note link is a direct pdf download from California DMV website}.

That being said, What's up with the wording:
    Quote “Bicyclists have the same rights
    and responsibilities as vehicle and motorcycle drivers.”
    on the one hand and
    Quote “When it is safe, the bicyclists should move to a position that allows vehicles to pass.”
    ????!!!

What does “should” in that wording mean? Is it 'mandatory' when 5 or more vehicles are behind and bicycle/s are going under the posted speed limit like it is for motor vehicles?...

I have driven Hwy 116 between Sebastopol and Jenner, different routs between Sebastopol and Occidental and Occidental to Monti Rio etc. also on State Highway 1 in both Sonoma and Mendocino Counties many times and US 101 N of 1 to California Oregon Border and North some distance a few times and have experienced the good and bad of both bicyclists and motor vehicle drivers.

Some bicyclists (very few but enough for me to have a reasonable concern to use extreme caution when "sharing the road" with bicyclists).

(Those few bicyclists) just don't seem to have so much of a clue about what different motor vehicles are capable and not capable of or (more likely, don't give half a rat's hind quarter); never mind how competent the driver behind the wheel is, and compounding that there is the I am better than thou attitude that apparently exists in some bicyclists who may have never driven a car (or at least probably should not ever drive one) who seem to go out of their way to obstruct motor traffic on roads and highways, whilst apparently ignoring the reason the road they are using is there in the first place; (HINT:) it was constructed in such a way with pavement surface mainly for motor vehicles not horse and buggy and certainly not just for bicyclists!

Some fast acceleration capable cars can whiz by them on wide spots with good visibility using minimal time-frames; however, trucks, low horsepower cars, trailer hauling, and most RV's on the other hand, that's just not going to nor could it happen, they just can't whiz right on by; yet those aforementioned road obstructing bicyclists I mentioned seem to get all upset when I hang back until they are in a place where I have adequate visibility and distance to pass them in a place where they “should” allow passing but they do not seem to realize that some vehicles will take much more time than others to do that so seemingly out of spite or pure ignorance they get in the way at the last few seconds and create a hazardous situation; whereas, I, to avoid coming either too close or hitting them with my vehicle have to maneuver my vehicle over the double yellow line and risk oncoming traffic or a very expensive moving violation because of what they did (NOT MY FAULT!!!... ...But hey tell that to the judge).

Those particular bicyclists are a detriment to all honest and responsible bicyclists and a real danger to all motorists who are unfortunate enough to have to “share the road” with them.

Some motor vehicle drivers seem to think they are the only ones that matter, never mind bicyclists or other motor vehicles!... ...Those drivers most likely already have at least one moving violation already and they also are on my shit-list... ...More so than the detrimental bicyclists.Furthermore:

• I think there should be more clarity and equal law enforcement of that issue which is the biggest gripe of us motor vehicle drivers...
    ...Also BTW, just what about financial responsibilities of bicyclists?...

...There is no statewide mandatory insurance requirement law, (which IMHO is a good thing. I would not want for there to become one either) but what about where the money for bike lanes both new, existing and also the expansion of road surfaces and the following maintenance of the bike lanes and/or wider roadways come from?..

...Should there be or is there an existing one-time tax that I am not aware of for the sales of new bicycles in California?...

...Is that even feasible?...

...Should there be or is there an already existing State motor fuel tax for bike lanes on state highways or are there any local allocations from gas tax for such?!!!...

...(Gas Tax) Even though it makes some sense in some cases like State Highway 1 for instance, I seriously doubt that a Statewide gas tax for bicycle lanes would get the votes or get passed by the legislature any time in the reasonably foreseeable future either.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-30-2015 at 03:19 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: