Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    sonomarosa

Adopting a senior dog

Hello everyone...

While looking for other specific information, I came across this article on 'The Senior Dogs Project' website.

I have copied and pasted this information right from their website. It is a great testimonial of the top ten reasons why folks should adopt an older dog, rather than a pup or young adult.

So, the next time you are thinking of adding another dog to your family, try considering these reasons first:

TOP TEN REASONS TO ADOPT AN OLDER DOG!!
    1.Older dogs are housetrained. You won't have to go through the difficult stage(s) of teaching a puppy house manners and mopping up after accidents.

2. Older dogs are not teething puppies, and won't chewyour shoes and furniture while growing up.

3. Older dogs can focus well because they've mellowed. Therefore, they learn quickly.

4. Older dogs have learned what "no" means. If they hadn't learned it, they wouldn't have gotten to be "older" dogs.

5. Older dogs settle in easily, because they've learned what it takes to get along with others and become part of a pack.

6. Older dogs are good at giving love, once they get into their new, loving home. They are grateful for the second chance they've been given.

7.What You See Is What You Get:Unlike puppies, older dogs have grown into their shape and personality. Puppies can grow up to be quite different from what they seemed at first.

8. Older dogs are instant companions -- ready for hiking, car trips, and other things you like to do.

9. Older dogs leave you time for yourself, because they don't make the kinds of demands on your time and attention that puppies and young dogs do.

10. Older dogslet you get a good night's sleep because they're accustomed to human schedules and don't generally need nighttime feedings, comforting, or bathroom breaks.

To learn more about the pleasures of older dog adoption, please visit the Senior Dogs Project site at

www.srdogs.com
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    helenscott08

Re: Adopting a senior dog

I AM currently fostering a very sweet older husky dog.

And, I can say that it is a VERY GREAT JOY to have her. She has been through a lot in her about 10 or 11 years and so has certain fears...mostly of being left behind. But little by little is overcoming those fears and her beautiful personality is lighting up.

I REALLY RECOMMEND if you can please do give an OLDER DOG OR CAT a good loving home by either adopting or fostering them. I have fostered two other older dogs and really had no trouble with them. They can bring so much love and joy to you.

It would be nice to have comments from other people who are either fostering or have adopted an older canine or feline. REPLY TO THIS POSTING PUB LICLY.

Please let us hear from you.

Thanks

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sonomarosa:
    Hello everyone...

While looking for other specific information, I came across this article on 'The Senior Dogs Project' website.

I have copied and pasted this information right from their website. It is a great testimonial of the top ten reasons why folks should adopt an older dog, rather than a pup or young adult.

So, the next time you are thinking of adding another dog to your family, try considering these reasons first:

TOP TEN REASONS TO ADOPT AN OLDER DOG!!
    1.Older dogs are housetrained. You won't have to go through the difficult stage(s) of teaching a puppy house manners and mopping up after accidents.

2. Older dogs are not teething puppies, and won't chewyour shoes and furniture while growing up.

3. Older dogs can focus well because they've mellowed. Therefore, they learn quickly.

4. Older dogs have learned what "no" means. If they hadn't learned it, they wouldn't have gotten to be "older" dogs.

5. Older dogs settle in easily, because they've learned what it takes to get along with others and become part of a pack.

6. Older dogs are good at giving love, once they get into their new, loving home. They are grateful for the second chance they've been given.

7.What You See Is What You Get:Unlike puppies, older dogs have grown into their shape and personality. Puppies can grow up to be quite different from what they seemed at first.

8. Older dogs are instant companions -- ready for hiking, car trips, and other things you like to do.

9. Older dogs leave you time for yourself, because they don't make the kinds of demands on your time and attention that puppies and young dogs do.

10. Older dogslet you get a good night's sleep because they're accustomed to human schedules and don't generally need nighttime feedings, comforting, or bathroom breaks.

To learn more about the pleasures of older dog adoption, please visit the Senior Dogs Project site at
    www.srdogs.com

3. TopTop #3
    jordie

Re: Adopting a senior dog

Well. I can say my Maggie, a rescued Irish Terrier defies all these descriptions. She is a complete challenge and a terrier is not for the feint of heart. She has been caused me to break a leg, have two broken toes, completely ruined home carpeting and been the recipient of all my training as a therapist and then some.. I did not realize for some time that she suffered from an anxiety disorder and separation fears. She had nightmares for over two years. I do breath work with her too, :>) and touch therapy.

And, I must say I totally love this stubborn, affectionate, highly intelligent rascal who thinks Sonoma County is her personal canine territory.....She's affectionately known as "my shadow, honey monkey, chunkie monkey, hey dog, sweetie"

A rescue dog may be a bit different than adopting a dog with a known history.

I loved maggie at first sight and my only concern is her not living as long as I want her to:>)

Bryndyl
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by sassydog:
    I AM currently fostering a very sweet older husky dog.

And, I can say that it is a VERY GREAT JOY to have her. She has been through a lot in her about 10 or 11 years and so has certain fears...mostly of being left behind. But little by little is overcoming those fears and her beautiful personality is lighting up.

I REALLY RECOMMEND if you can please do give an OLDER DOG OR CAT a good loving home by either adopting or fostering them. I have fostered two other older dogs and really had no trouble with them. They can bring so much love and joy to you.

It would be nice to have comments from other people who are either fostering or have adopted an older canine or feline. REPLY TO THIS POSTING PUB LICLY.

Please let us hear from you.

Thanks