Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shandi

Mystery Surrounds Wal-Mart Closing 5 stores due to "Plumbing Problems"....

Thousands of people were laid off in 5 hours, with no compensation or guarantee to get transferred or to get their jobs back. This is an obvious retaliation for "Fight for 15" which happened on Weds, April 15th. This is blatantly criminal to me. This link is from Natural News, but I also got a petition in my email, since I employ an IHSS worker, and they're also trying to get raises. If you don't want to use this link, the information is available by searching.

Imagine losing your income without warning. What would you do if you had no other means of support?

https://www.naturalnews.com/049369_W..._problems.html
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    AllorrahBe

Re: Mystery Surrounds Wal-Mart Closing 5 stores due to "Plumbing Problems"....

Well, you'd start by doing just what I did when I lost my job and had to relocate from Hawaii! You move to Santa Rosa, file for all government benefits, unemployment, FoodBank food, whatever is available legally to assist you... and you'd find some folks who know how to pray and you'd join in and pray for everyone, for everything, for ever!! I have experienced the healing power of prayer in many ways since I came here and started eating good clean organic food grown right here in my neighborhood!

Beyond those steps, it's an individual thing, as you know! Some have family who can help them. Some are totally alone, but determined to survive even this outlandish situation. Some will get help from their churches and communities. Some will "wash out" and their lives will be ruined, as well as the lives of their families. Some will discover this is a blessing in disguise and will lead to them getting more creative and finding they can start their own businesses. There is always hope for a new beginning... I got mine, right here in Sonoma County!

It's a hideous thing they've done, and the consequences will be far-reaching... perhaps even to the bottom line on WalMart's financials when the world sees what is going on. This really smacks of FEMA instigated trouble.

Still Praying for Peace!
    Rev. BE

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    Thousands of people were laid off in 5 hours, with no compensation or guarantee to get transferred or to get their jobs back....
    Imagine losing your income without warning. What would you do if you had no other means of support?...
    Last edited by thedaughter; 04-20-2015 at 01:47 PM.

4. TopTop #3
    Shandi

Re: Mystery Surrounds Wal-Mart Closing 5 stores due to "Plumbing Problems"....

Thanks for sharing about your personal situation. Many of the people that are affected don't know how to work a system that's set up to fail them. The fact that you're well educated....and white gives you an advantage. Also, I believe at the time you relocated, you may have been close to 60 or beyond? Sometimes, 55 is considered "senior", and that also can be an advantage.

This shows me that there's a need for "benefits counseling", but I don't know if the union provides this, or where they could go to get guidance. As for prayer, many of these people are Latino, and live by prayer. So, I doubt if that's a missing element.

I'm in the process of helping two disabled women, both white, one 40 and the other in her 50's, interpret the rules governing SSI and SDI. (One gets $773 to live on from SSI, and doesn't get help from family.) You can't get food stamps on SSI. Until she got her "award", she had no income, and lived by work/trade arrangements for shelter. She was treated like a slave in each situation, as many wives are, who have no economic means of their own. This went on for 3 difficult years.

They are immobilized by fear of what they don't understand. I had to read the "rules" several times to get clear on the meaning. It can appear to be double talk to even an educated person. It's done this way on purpose to confuse and discourage.

I've broken down one critical paragraph, with highlights and underlining, to help one woman understand, but her fear won't allow her to see her rights. She feels like she's in "concrete boots".

I'm hoping that many people will SIGN and SHARE the petition on Facebook. It's really the least we can do if we consider ourselves "compassionate" and empathetic. Another thing we can do is offer to guide them through the paperwork jungle to get any benefits they can. If any of us have "been there, done that" we can be instrumental in empowering the "unempowered". I see this as a step towards "UNITY" that's been suggested in another thread.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by AllorrahBe: View Post
    Well, you'd start by doing just what I did when I lost my job and had to relocate from Hawaii! You move to Santa Rosa, file for all government benefits, unemployment, FoodBank food, whatever is available legally to assist you...
    Last edited by thedaughter; 04-20-2015 at 01:49 PM.