Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valley Oak

Preventing Gun Violence

PREVENTING GUN VIOLENCE WITHOUT JUST TALKING ABOUT THE GUN
    Posted by SHP Press, April 14, 2015

As Nicole Hockley says so plainly – and heartbreakingly – in her recent TEDx talk about the Sandy Hook tragedy, in which her son Dylan was killed: Gun violence is indiscriminate – it can happen to anyone, at any place and at any time. But it's preventable.

Here's something you can do right now to make a difference:
    Watch Nicole's TEDx talk and then share it with everyone you know so they too can learn how to help spare other families the unimaginable pain of losing a child to gun violence.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Shandi

Re: Preventing Gun Violence

This was a very moving and empowering presentation. The activism she speaks of is something we can all do. First, it involves awareness of others who may be suffering in silence, and those who aren't so silent. She invites us to really see and hear the pain that shows itself to us on a regular basis. And she asks us to do something, however small, to help alleviate that pain.

The state of our world contributes so much to mental and emotional distress. All of us feel some of that, but some have better coping skills than others. Some have no coping ability, and no one to talk to. This devastating stress builds until it can no longer be contained. The eruption brings relief in the form of suicide or murder, and many times both. No one is safe from this indiscriminate violence that may come in the form of a gun, a knife, a rope, a bomb or anything that can be used as a weapon on oneself or others.

She's asking us and our children to pay attention to the signs of distress, to the words that are cries for help, and to the actions that are a prelude to violence against the self or others. For example, anyone who abuses an animal is likely to abuse a person. If you see a child being abused in public, you can imagine that it's even worse in the home where no one can see. Speak up for those who can't speak for themselves and take a few minutes to listen to someone who needs to be heard.

Over 20 years ago, I met a young man who was about 22. He wore headphones constantly, with music blasting in his ears. As he talked to me, I recognized a condition that my brother had, which was bi-polar illness. As he sat and talked, I sat and listened, while keeping eye contact and showing interest. The truth was that his talking was mostly loud babble, and not really of any interest to me. But here in front of me was a person who was in distress. After about 20 minutes, he took off his headphones, and said "You're really listening!" It was as if he had never been really heard before. From that day forward, he no longer continued to wear his headphones when he was with me.

I found out later that his entire family is mentally ill, and that he had tried to commit suicide 5 times before. I have continued to "listen" for the past 22 years. It's been difficult at times, and I can't always listen. He has a tendency towards violence, but takes all the medication that keeps it in check. I know that I'm the only stable person in his life, and I've done whatever I could to show him that I care. He says I saved his life. This has shown me how important listening can be. It seems simple, but we all know it's not easy.

We can each make a difference, by stepping out of our comfort zone to ease someone's unbearable suffering even for a few minutes. These are the steps any of us can take in the effort to prevent violence that can happen any where, any time, and to any of us.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Edward Mendoza: View Post
    Last edited by Barry; 04-15-2015 at 02:40 PM.

4. TopTop #3
    Scott McKeown

Re: Preventing Gun Violence

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Edward Mendoza: View Post
    Numerous people on Waccobb at different times have claimed that the Sandy Hook incident was a false flag operation, all faked and staged by the US Government. The purpose for the staging, according to the conspiracy community and some through their postings here, was to force through gun control legislation. (That didn't work out so well, but never mind.)

Some of us countered this public claim and were then personally called out for it on Wacco by the conspiracy believers who accused us, in essence, of being naive and brainwashed by the mainstream media (who apparently were all in on it also).

No doubt the same folks who were insistent here on Wacco about their beliefs that Sandy Hook was all staged now also believe this woman is part of the conspiracy and her tragic story is a complete lie.

Sometimes I feel we live in a unique place (wonderful as this place is) where right-wing paranoia meets left-wing paranoia.

Scott
    Last edited by Barry; 04-15-2015 at 02:41 PM.

5. Gratitude expressed by: