Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    BreathOfFreshAir

Any opinion about water pik or other water or air flossers

I am in the market to further improve my dental health - wonder if anyone might have an opinion on any products that are superior for enhancing flossing (I already floss, I am wanting something that would help even more with preventing plaque build-up -espec. on back teeth). - what a conversation!

Thanks and appreciations to anyone who responds!!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    bill shearer

Re: Any opinion about water pik or other water or air flossers

Hi, Dodie here.
    I have used a water-pic for years, it works well for me. It gets the pockets around my molars better than anything else I have ever tried. I also like to add some enamel building mouthwash to the water in the reservoir.

3. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

4. TopTop #3
    Roland Jacopetti

Hi. Some years ago, I had some periodontal problems and had two surgeries, which helped a lot. Then I discovered Waterpicks. I've been using them for many years, have worn out two and working on a third. I use the regular pick (once a day, in the evening) and the rubber tipped one, called a Pickpocket (terrible name!) twice a day, morning and evening. Additionally, I use a Sonicare toothbrush twice a day. I've not had any further periodontal problems, I get praise from my dentist every checkup, I have all my own teeth and I'm 79 years old.
    Also, and I've not told my dentist this, I don't floss any more, except for the Waterpick. By the way, I'm not recommending this in any way, and if I started to have problems, I'd go back to floss, which I used for years. Good luck!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by BreathOfFreshAir: View Post
    I am in the market to further improve my dental health - wonder if anyone might have an opinion on any products that are superior for enhancing flossing (I already floss, I am wanting something that would help even more with preventing plaque build-up -espec. on back teeth). - what a conversation!

5. Gratitude expressed by:

6. TopTop #4
    rekarp

My dentist recommends the oxycare 3000 - its a unit with a magnet. Here's a link to a study that supports this type of unit: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9565283

My gums improved within two months of using this twice daily (along with a Sonic Care toothbrush), and I was able to avoid having root planing.

Ron

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #5
    Seabaz

Water pic all the way. Has the most power. Plugin only. Better than air b.s. all my dentists recommend water pic. Gets out particles so you don't jam em into your gums while flossing which is still necessary. In this order wp, sonicare, manual tb brush from pockets away from gums slow, 1.5% h202 rinse, glide floss, h202 rinse again. Make it your religious practice.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-15-2015 at 10:29 AM.

9. Gratitude expressed by:

10. TopTop #6
    Chris Dec
    Supporting Member

Hello, Fresh Breath!
    I love this type of conversation.

I have had dentists recommend the waterpik, but both gave me coupons which had their names on them which meant they were rewarded for the sale, so I was always suspect. A dental hygienist I know said if the water is strong enough to dislodge plaque, it is too strong, and can force the gumline away from the tooth, exposing unprotected areas to decay. She said the best thing to use, is the puffed textured floss strands that can scour out an area, especially under bridges and hard to floss places. And if you don't think the flossing is enough, use those tiny little brushes to get between teeth and see if that is productive. They are sold at Rite-Aid and some come in different sizes for the tiniest spaces. That's my tooth cents.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-16-2015 at 03:14 PM.

11. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

12. TopTop #7
    AllorrahBe

Baking soda can also be helpful for healthy gums... changes the pH to alkali. (I am not a doctor and this should not be construed as medical advice.)
    Rev. BE
    Last edited by Barry; 03-16-2015 at 08:51 AM.

13. Gratitude expressed by:

14. TopTop #8
    phooph

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rekarp: View Post
    My dentist recommends the oxycare 3000 - its a unit with a magnet. Here's a link to a study that supports this type of unit: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9565283

My gums improved within two months of using this twice daily (along with a Sonic Care toothbrush), and I was able to avoid having root planing.

Ron
    I also have an Oxycare 3000 that is probably well over 20 years old. I get great checkups with it. If you don't want to spend the money for it use a Waterpic with a magnet taped to the water line. Running water through a magnetic field ionizes it and makes it a more efficient solvent.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-16-2015 at 03:15 PM.

15. TopTop #9
    John Minye

Hi, I'm a local general dentist and I stand by the Water-Pik. I encourage all of my patients to use the device. The Water-pik should be used in addition to flossing. It is an excellent device to help flush out gum pockets in areas that are hard to reach like the molar region. If you have never used the Water-pik start out on the lowest pressure setting and gradually over a period of two weeks bring the pressure up so that you are not "shocking" the gums with the water stream. There is a dial on the unit that allows you to adjust the pressure. Costco has the Water-pik as well as most major grocery stores. I have seen many of my patients improve with the usage of the Water-pik and with the combination of good flossing and brushing habits I'm sure there will be a significant improvement on your gum health. I hope this information helps.

16. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: