Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barton Stone

Sebastopol Area Local Treasure

The following is my incomplete list of amazing, mostly unique and non-commercial local community treasures. I'm sure you will have your own favorites. Deep gratitude to all of them for helping to make this town a nexus of hope and sanity. May they flourish in the coming year!

Occidental Arts and Ecology Center

The Love Choir

WaccoBB

Soul Motion

The Sebastopol Grange

Permaculture Skills Center

La Tierra

The Farmers Market

Graton Day Labor Center

Sebastopol Senior Center

The Dhyana Center

Hard Core Coffee

Laguna Farm

Two Acre Wood

Transition Town

The Library

Harmony Farm Supply
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Investigative Reporter

Adding Dan Smith, Joan Marler and Open Our Hospital Supporters to Local Treasure List

​Great list Barton!

One big thing missing though:

I would like to add Dan Smith and Joan Marler to this list, the two people who have refused to allow Palm Drive Hospital to remain closed. Who have worked hard under relentless criticism and the opposition of very member of Sebastopol's shameful political establishment. Who have had the audacity to hope that failure is not the only option for reopening and sustaining a hospital that has saved lives for 70 years, and whose absence is causing tremendous suffering for thousands of us, especially the elderly and sick. Who have contributed the money and personal capital to reverse the disastrous financial mismanagement of the hospital, and the irresponsible, terrible choice of the previous Board majority to close and keep closed the hospital last spring.

I would like to thank thousands of my West County neighbors, of all ages and political persuasions, who placed "Open Our Hospital" signs on their lawns, and defied the political endorsement for "reopening is irresponsible" Palm Drive District Health Board candidate Jim Horn by every member of Sebastopol's purportedly progressive political establishment. The winning "Doc and Cop" Palm Drive District Board Hospital slate, who voted, at their first meeting a few weeks ago, to reopen the hospital this April, were, astonishingly, opposed by Jim Horn's endorsers and supporters, including all five Sebastopol City Council Members Robert Jacob, Patrick Slayter, John Eder, Sarah Gurney, Una Glass, along with political power brokers Craig Litwin, Helen Shane, Bill Shortridge, Brenda and Richard Nichols, past and current Palm Drive Board members Nancy Dobbs, Sandra Bodley, Mary Scezy, and Chris Dawson.

We, the People, and our democratic ability to vote for an outcome opposed by nearly every one of our local politicians and political power brokers, are all local treasures for seeing through the orchestrated campaign of deception, and defying the advice and malicious"whisper campaign" against the reopening effort.

Lastly, I would like to add to the list Dr. Jim Gude and Richard Power and Dennis Colthurst, as well as Gail Thomas, John and Beth Moisle, and dozens of others who have volunteered their time and energy to stand up for our community's ability to have an emergency room and care for one another

For the treasure represented by all these brave hearted folks, and for the independence and resilience of our community, I am grateful on this Christmas Day.

3. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

4. TopTop #3
    luke32

Re: Adding Dan Smith, Joan Marler and Open Our Hospital Supporters to Local Treasure List

For another view see the current edition of Sonoma West under the headline Sparks Fly Around Hospital's Major Benefactor (first six paragraphs quoted here):

"The prevailing plan to reopen Palm Drive Hospital is being led by the same man who many credit with saving it from permanent closure or disaster at least twice before. But the man, Dan Smith, is also being blamed for being a “lightning rod” and a “bully” at the center of a community rift that is blocking broader community support and alternate proposals for the future of the now-closed hospital facility.
    Two immediate past health care district directors, among other past benefactors and leaders, have charged Smith with repeated “bullying,” personal attacks and being “toxic” during recent highly-charged community meetings and board-level negotiations concerning the closed hospital.

Former directors Nancy Dobbs and Chris Dawson said Smith contacted their private employers to influence their actions on the hospital board.

“He tried to get me fired and he drove away support for our hospital,” Dobbs said at a public meeting at the hospital on Dec. 8. She called him “aggressive and nasty.” Ralph O’Rear, a board member for KRCB public media where Dobbs is president and CEO, confirmed that Smith left him a voicemail. Smith’s message said Dobbs was a “detrimental impact” and urged O’Rear to “influence her,” O’Rear said. “It was stunning. I was left with the impression that his support comes at a price.”

Another KRCB director, Patrick Campbell confirmed Smith sent him an email about Dobbs. “I don’t know him but I thought it was scurrilous. I was surprised to receive such a negative message about Nancy.” Neither Campbell or O’Rear said Smith asked to “fire” Dobbs.

Dawson said Smith contacted his superiors at Vanguard Realty and visited his Sebastopol preacher. “It looked like he was willing to stop at nothing,” Dawson said. “I don’t know why it got so negative. It really became toxic.”

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Peacetown Jonathan: View Post
    ​...I would like to add Dan Smith and Joan Marler to this list, the two people who have refused to allow Palm Drive Hospital to remain closed. Who have worked hard under relentless criticism and the opposition of every member of Sebastopol's shameful political establishment. ...

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

6. TopTop #4
    Roland Jacopetti

Re: Sebastopol Area Local Treasure

Though I'm no longer a West County resident, I still must cast an in absentia vote for Larry Robinson.

​Great list Barton!

One big thing missing though:...
    Last edited by Barry; 12-27-2014 at 02:39 PM.

7. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

8. TopTop #5
    AllorrahBe

Re: Sebastopol Area Local Treasure

Both lists are very good but you both forgot Burbank Heights & Orchards, for all the work that goes into taking care of us, the low-income seniors who live like royalty up here on the hill! And Luther's wonderful garden across the road... Heaven on Earth.
    Rev. BE

​Great list Barton!

One big thing missing though:...
    Last edited by Barry; 12-30-2014 at 02:36 PM.

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

ywv
  10. TopTop #6
    Barton Stone

Re: Adding Dan Smith, Joan Marler and Open Our Hospital Supporters to Local Treasure List

Quote Posted in reply to the post by AllorrahBe: View Post
    Both lists are very good but you both forgot Burbank Heights & Orchards, for all the work that goes into taking care of us, the low-income seniors who live like royalty up here on the hill! And Luther's wonderful garden across the road... Heaven on Earth.
    Rev. BE
    Yes indeed, Rev. BE! Gratitude for BbH&O! And if we're adding individuals, it will be a long, long list.
    I would make sure the list includes our two intrepid journalists/activists, Jonathan Greenberg and Shepherd Bliss. We have excellent, articulate investigations of affairs of power and policy, of the land and of the heart, and ways of circulating that information independently of the managed media. Such a treasure!
    It occurs to me that many of these people, organizations and groups are indeed working to make it be like a wonderful garden here, like heaven on earth.
    Barton Stone

11. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: