Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: Kaiser?
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    erinsheff

Kaiser?

I'm considering changing my Medicare from private suppliemental insurance to Kaiser. How satisfied or unsatisfied are you with Kaiser?
    Erin
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Shandi

Re: Kaiser?

I've been with Kaiser for many years, and have been more than satisfied
    with the way my doctor makes sure that I get regular blood work done
    about twice a year, suggests getting flu/pneumonia vaccinations, mammograms,
    and a once a year physical. Most Kaiser doctors recommend a "plant based"
    diet.

I'm pretty healthy overall, but did have a hip replacement in 2009. The nurses
    spoke highly of the surgeon, and I had no issues with the hospital care, except
    for one attendant who seemed to be having a rough day.

I've been seen by a wonderful behavioral therapist for situational depression, who
    helped me get through it with effective action.

I'm very inner directed, and find that the doctors respect that I take responsibility
    for my health.

A plus is that most meds are delivered free, and there are many helpful classes.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by erinsheff: View Post
    I'm considering changing my Medicare from private suppliemental insurance to Kaiser. How satisfied or unsatisfied are you with Kaiser?
    Erin

3. TopTop #3
    Dr Pam

Quote Posted in reply to the post by erinsheff: View Post
    Erin
    I worked for Kaiser in Stockton for 15 years until recently retiring. I wouldn't get my healthcare anywhere else, mostly because I understand so well how the system works. The primary care providers ability to listen to the patient and to show respect for the patient makes all the difference. This doesn't mean do what the patient says.

There are some wonderful physicians who work for Kaiser, but there are also some who are "on probation" so to speak. If you are assigned to one of these not-so-wonderful docs for a primary care provider, just ask to switch immediately and keep switching until you get a physician with whom you are compatible. Don't be shy about asking to switch unless you're a drug seeker

A personal recommendation is best. Even if the physician isn't taking new patients, you can ask that physician, or ask the person who referred to ask him or her to take you on. Explain you've had difficulty communicating with other physicians. Usually the physician will squeeze you in.

My 2 cents.

Dr Pam
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 11-08-2014 at 12:44 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #4
    wisewomn

I know a woman who was permanently crippled by a sloppy vascular surgery at Kaiser here. I have heard other not-so-good things about it from other people. I also recently met a woman with sleep apnea who wanted to get an oral sleep appliance after the c-pap mask proved unworkable. Kaiser wouldn't cover the cost so she had to pay $2500 out of pocket. I have also heard Kaiser praised to the skies by a few people. If it were me, I would not go with Kaiser. I like having freedom of choice and don't want to have to push to get treatment (a common complaint).
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 11-08-2014 at 12:44 PM.

6. TopTop #5
    Shandi

The reality is that there are two sides to every coin. Individuals are complex physically, mentally, and emotionally. And even those who are "professionals" with credentials may make horrible mistakes.

If someone has a serious medical issue, they should check about what's covered by various providers.

The fact that a provider is both criticized and praised is really pretty normal. So, going with what resonates with you is your best choice.

I've used various massage therapists over the years. Some were wonderful, and some I'd never go back to. (I've had similar experiences with graphic artists and marketing consultants.) I've had great experiences with Tru-Care Reflexology in Rohnert Park, even though they don't speak English.) It's $25 for an hour massage (clothed) can include hot stones, if desired. My friend went, and had a horrible experience. Another friend went last week, and said it was awesome. He'd been unable to get massage because of his limited income. He said he'll do without something to be able to go every month.

Choosing a health care provider is a serious decision, so it pays to check out the details as much as possible considering our special needs/issues, and even then unforeseen problems can arise. It seems to reflect life in general, with no guarantees.

I'm thankful to have medical care.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wisewomn: View Post
    I know a woman who was permanently crippled by a sloppy vascular surgery at Kaiser here. I have heard other not-so-good things about it from other people. I also recently met a woman with sleep apnea who wanted to get an oral sleep appliance after the c-pap mask proved unworkable. Kaiser wouldn't cover the cost so she had to pay $2500 out of pocket. I have also heard Kaiser praised to the skies by a few people. If it were me, I would not go with Kaiser. I like having freedom of choice and don't want to have to push to get treatment (a common complaint).

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: