Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    cocreator

Car not running — need diagnostic

Hi Community ~

My ancient Toyota Corolla appears to have fuel issues that are likely electrical in nature (a former mechanic took a look at it, but can do nothing without a repair shop). It's not running, though the engine turns over; just doesn't "catch". His preliminary diagnosis is too much fuel flooding the ignition. Additionally, the radiator reservoir (the space beneath the cap) is completely empty, which may be a separate problem.

I need a "driveability diagnostic" to know for certain what the problem is and whether it's worth fixing. A neighbor who works on cars says this can be accomplished by a computer that has the Toyota software installed. However, a mechanic shop located 2 minutes on foot from where the car is parked refused to look at it unless I have it towed in.

My Q is: can anyone do a mobile diagnostic, i.e., come to where the car is, so that I do not have to potentially "waste" 2 of my 4 annual AAA calls to have it towed in both directions? My friend the mechanic believes it's a major repair job, and thus, even though the engine is still good, perhaps not worth the expense on a car this old. Of course I would pay the mobile technician.

I'm also open to a good second-hand automatic car for sale (smoke-free!), or to share. I only need it about half the week, sometimes much less; flexible.

All ideas and leads welcome!

Thanks and blessings ~
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2

Re: Car not running — need diagnostic

Quote Posted in reply to the post by cocreator: View Post
    My Q is: can anyone do a mobile diagnostic, i.e., come to where the car is, ...
    I was very satisfied with Chris Nunes On-Site Auto Repair 707-326-8655 for a starter replacement, and thought they were fair about the mobile pricing but wouldn't know if they can do what you need.
    Good luck,
    Alex
    Last edited by Barry; 10-15-2014 at 12:53 PM.

3. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

4. TopTop #3
    CSummer

Chris Nunes and company also did some work for us and we appreciated their efforts and attitude. I expect they can do the diagnosis that's needed.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Alex: View Post
    I was very satisfied with Chris Nunes On-Site Auto Repair 707-326-8655 for a starter replacement, and thought they were fair about the mobile pricing but wouldn't know if they can do what you need.
    Good luck,
    Alex

5. TopTop #4
    Gene

K-Tech Auto which is downtown would be an excellent choice for an honest evaluation. You didn't mention what year the car is but if it's late 80's or older there are only 11 diagnostic codes which can also be read on the dashboard without a computer but they may not be much help. It could be anything from an inexpensive fuel filter or a loose wire to a major repair. Often the diagnosis is the most difficult part of the repair. It is worth it to find a qualified mechanic to diagnosis. As for the tows if it is only a 2 minute walk maybe you can get some friends to push it in the downhill direction or use your free tows to take it to the shop of your choice. Good luck and make sure it has water/coolant and oil in it before you do anything.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #5

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Gene: View Post
    K Auto which is downtown would be an excellent choice for an honest evaluation. ...
    If you mean K-Tech, I've had 2 bad experiences.

1. They insisted I pre-pay $110 for driving a cold car up a hill the next morning to begin a sluggish car diagnosis, actual diagnosis time needed unknown. I got a $600 diagnosis for $110. At a friend's suggestion/suspicion, I took it home and changed my own spark plugs for the first time with his help for $25... and it's been running totally problem free for 3.5 years.

2. In another instance at their previous location, I had to bring it back for something they broke while fixing what I brought it in for. I'd be glad to give someone the whole $25 oil change credit they gave me in compensation for the 4 hours extra hassle it cost me to take it back if I can find it. I won't even go back for that.

Alex
    Last edited by Barry; 10-16-2014 at 02:55 PM.

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #6
    cocreator

I appreciate your response. Actually, K-Tech is the shop located a 60-second walk from where the car is, that told me I need to bring it in for a $130 diagnostic. Hence, my choice to seek a mobile diagnostician.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Gene: View Post
    K-Tech Auto which is downtown would be an excellent choice for an honest evaluation. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-16-2014 at 02:56 PM.

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #7
    cocreator

Thank You Onsite Auto Repair! Re: Car not running — need diagnostic

Hi Community ~

Want to give a big thumbs up to Onsite Auto Repair 707-326-8655 for fixing my old Toyota in a jiffy. I had to have it towed into the shop, but once it was running again (same day, and I didn't say it was a rush job), Chris and Cory personally delivered it back to me. They're responsive, friendly, know what they're doing, and the cost was reasonable.

Thanks to Waccovians Alex and CSummer for the referral! Add my name to the list of satisfied customers.

12. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: