Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    glenclem

Hwy 116 Sebastopol trucks

Greetings,
    Does anyone know what construction project the many gravel trucks are working on? I have contacted the Seb. police (829-4400) and the CHP (588-1400) about the heavy traffic of gravel trucks speeding (one ran the ped-xing signal I was at because it was speeding and did not have a safe distance to stop) along Hwy 116.

As an act of Civil disobedience I have been driving 5 mph below the speed limit when a truck in following me. I have also contacted the trucking companies by e-mail and have not yet heard back. I will add their contact info once I have gotten the names of all the trucking companies.

Please be aware of the safety problems of these speeding trucks, with a heavy load they can not stop quickly, especially if they are speeding.

thanx,
    Glen
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Eileen M.

Re: Hwy 116 Sebastopol trucks

Thanx for posting this. I had an encounter with the trucks too. I was downtown yesterday afternoon waiting to cross the street when a double truck took the corner so sharp he drove up onto the sidewalk. I had to jump back.
    Believe it or not, while I was still waiting for the light to change another truck (same company) did the same thing. They were both driving too fast.

4. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Michael Anthony

The trucks are moving sand from a Forestville quarry to the United States Coast Guard Training Base located between Petaluma and Tomales. The sand is being used to line a water retention pond at the facility and I do not know what that pond is used for. With the amount of sand that is being moved I can only suggest that the pond is used for water reserves for the base or for water based training activities by U.S. Coast Guard trainees.

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

7. TopTop #4
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

I checked in the Sebastopol Police Chief Weaver about this and he replied:

We've received three or four calls about the large number of trucks traveling through town in the last week or two. Some of the callers were just curious why there were so many trucks; others complained about them speeding.

It's my understanding they are hauling sand and possibly gravel to the Coast Guard base at Two Rock and should be done this week.

I've alerted all of our officers about the complaints. Our motorcycle officer has focused some of his enforcement time on SR116 this week because of the complaints.

I hope this helps.

8. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

9. TopTop #5
    scamperwillow

You might also contact your county supervisor. They oversee the gravel mining.

10. TopTop #6
    glenclem

Greetings,
    I have contacted all, city, county and state traffic enforcement agencies that have jurisdiction of hwy. 116 & 12. I have also contacted the coast guard station, trucking co.s, cal-trans and the county supervisors about the public danger this traffic is causing. If anyone knows of any one to contact please post it here. If you would like to join in bringing this to the attention of those who might help resolve this problem start calling, emailing and posting concerns here.
    thanx,
    Glen
    p.s. Maybe Sebastopol's traffic control should be an upcoming election issue!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    You might also contact your county supervisor. They oversee the gravel mining.

11. TopTop #7
    scamperwillow

Oh it definitely IS an election issue - much discussed at the candidates forum last night.

[Traffic came up as part of several of the questions in the forum. Perhaps most interesting was Sarah's comments in her opening statement. See a list of the topics each with their own video. -Barry]

Quote Posted in reply to the post by glenclem: View Post
    Greetings,
    p.s. Maybe Sebastopol's traffic control should be an upcoming election issue!
    Last edited by Barry; 10-10-2014 at 01:34 PM.

12. TopTop #8
    Dorothy Friberg

You think that's bad, you should live in the Forestville area. Some of the locals want to call Fville Tiny town but I think it should be called dusty town. These trucks are spewing dust all along the course of their trip especially along Green Valley Creek which they pass over almost immediately after they exit their quarry. Often the air is foggy with dust from these trucks. So much for salmon migrations there. Secondly, Ramona Crinella, local developer, is suing Caltrans about a traffic circle carrying this traffic to the South of town bypassing Forestville. I think the bypass is a good solution since it would divert this dangerous heavy traffic from the two schools in town and it would reduce the constant heavy truck traffic through dusty town.

These quarries are in the pockets of Board of Supervisors since they contributed $1,000.000 for road maintenance. Which does not really cover all the damage they are doing throughout the county. As a result our country roads continue to deteriorate as patches cover a few broken areas. Perhaps a class action lawsuit is in order to pay for our worn out ball joints, shocks and other suspension parts on our vehicles. I have lived in West County for over 40 years and the cost of buying into the road and school system has gone astronomical, just to get a building permit. While at the same time countless people build without such permits just to bypass the system. Sonoma County road maintenance sucks. And we continue to empty our wallets to pay for it.

My guess is that many of the trips these trucks are making is to deliver rock to make railbed for the so-called Smart train. And I agree that these trucks do not honor traffic rules. Do they have entitlement?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by glenclem: View Post
    Greetings,
    Does anyone know what construction project the many gravel trucks are working on? I have contacted the Seb. police (829-4400) and the CHP (588-1400) about the heavy traffic of gravel trucks speeding (one ran the ped-xing signal I was at because it was speeding and did not have a safe distance to stop) along Hwy 116.

As an act of Civil disobedience I have been driving 5 mph below the speed limit when a truck in following me. I have also contacted the trucking companies by e-mail and have not yet heard back. I will add their contact info once I have gotten the names of all the trucking companies.

Please be aware of the safety problems of these speeding trucks, with a heavy load they can not stop quickly, especially if they are speeding.

thanx,
    Glen

13. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: