Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    lamonty115

Best camping destinations?

Hello!

Looking for advice on the best tent camping destinations in Northern California. Looking for redwoods, a lake or the coast, and some nice hiking/scrambling/bouldering opportunities. It would be great to find a place with an amazing sunset vista. I've searched as far as Lake Tahoe and Humboldt Redwoods SP, anything in between is fine too. Please feel free to contact me here, or via email at [email protected].

Thanks so much!

Carrie
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    danargraves

Re: Best camping destinations?

I recommend the greater Mt. Shasta area. It has everything you are looking for as well as great fishing and kayaking.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by lamonty115: View Post
    Hello!

Looking for advice on the best tent camping destinations in Northern California. Looking for redwoods, a lake or the coast, and some nice hiking/scrambling/bouldering opportunities. It would be great to find a place with an amazing sunset vista. I've searched as far as Lake Tahoe and Humboldt Redwoods SP, anything in between is fine too. Please feel free to contact me here, or via email at [email protected].

Thanks so much!

Carrie

4. TopTop #3
    gardenmaniac

don't forget Pomo Canyon: it's close to home, redwoods, coast and river. it's an environmental site, which means you walk into your campsite, there are no showers or flush toilets ... oh, well. on the downside, they don't take reservations.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by danargraves: View Post
    I recommend the greater Mt. Shasta area. It has everything you are looking for as well as great fishing and kayaking.

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

6. TopTop #4
    jene

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gardenmaniac: View Post
    don't forget Pomo Canyon: it's close to home, redwoods, coast and river. it's an environmental site, which means you walk into yo'rprio campsite, there are no showers or flush toilets ... oh, well. on the downside, they don't take reservations.
    Casini Campgrounds in Duncans Mills is fabulous. Hiking, swimming, camping of all kinds, a 7 mph speed limit enforced, and they check everyone entering the camp grounds. Reservations. You can also rent RV's there.

7. TopTop #5
    haute flash Jan

The downside of Pomo Campground is that it has been closed for several years and it remains closed. It is my absolute favorite campground in the area. But, I can't use it. Try bullfrog pond in Austin Creek Redwoods State Preserve. The Stewards of the Coast and redwoods re-opened it a year or so ago. It's nice! You can reserve some sites through www.hipcamp.com .
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 07-15-2014 at 10:35 AM.

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

9. TopTop #6
    KWilson

Pomo may be closed but it's close neighbor Willow Creek Campground is open this summer after being closed for a long time.

It's my favorite in Sonoma County because you have to walk-in (no cars) but you don't have to haul your stuff very far, 1/4 mile at most. All of the sites are far enough apart where you have privacy. The view is gorgeous, and it's right on the Russian River. You can actually load everything up in your canoe and boat to your site upstream. And…if you get tired of camp food, you can drive 5 minutes to an Indian restaurant for take-out! Best of both worlds there…You can also drive to the Pomo campground and then take the long hike to the ocean.

More info at https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=451

Quote Posted in reply to the post by haute flash Jan: View Post
    The downside of Pomo Campground is that it has been closed for several years and it remains closed. It is my absolute favorite campground in the area. But, I can't use it. Try bullfrog pond in Austin Creek Redwoods State Preserve. The Stewards of the Coast and redwoods re-opened it a year or so ago. It's nice! You can reserve some sites through www.hipcamp.com .

10. Gratitude expressed by: