Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Dixon

Struggling artists need support

I'm working as a Support Services Case Manager, with people dealing with homelessness and other challenges. A couple of these folks are talented artists. I'm wanting to arrange a show or two of their work, but they can't afford mats or frames, and the guy who does photography can't afford to get nice prints made. Does anyone know of some sort of charity or agency that might provide some financial support for struggling artists, or a really, really good deal on mats, frames, and/or making prints of photos?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    nicofrog

Re: Struggling artists need support

I believe you have just scratched a pimple on a HUGE CANCER in our society.

I am quietly coordinating a growup of extremly talented and lonly and frustrated artists who have been producing steadily for 30 years and are all currently near starving, feeling hopeless
    Nico Morris

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    I'm working as a Support Services Case Manager, with people dealing with homelessness and other challenges. A couple of these folks are talented artists. I'm wanting to arrange a show or two of their work, but they can't afford mats or frames, and the guy who does photography can't afford to get nice prints made. Does anyone know of some sort of charity or agency that might provide some financial support for struggling artists, or a really, really good deal on mats, frames, and/or making prints of photos?

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    meherc
    Supporting member

I would bet that if you didn't try to get everything at one place, galleries, reilly's, center for independent living, that other art supply store, walmart's, you could get everyone to give a little which would turn into a whole bunch. Also businessses that want to be seen as good guys like Target (lots of grants) or G&C Auto, trying to erase their piggish reputation would see it as a pr coup. For photos, I would start at A St. and ask for suggestions starting from there. More work, but what can you do?
    It's really easy to get a Target grant, by the way. Get Brino to be himself and make it a benefit.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post

Last edited by meherc; 08-10-2014 at 01:03 AM. Reason: addition
    Marilyn Meshak Herczog, EA

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Check out the upcoming Occidental Center for the Arts upcoming ReUSE on Aug 16-17:

https://www.occidentalcenterforthear...of-reuse-sale/

8. Gratitude expressed by: