Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    WaccoBB Poet Laureate

PG&E's threat to public power

Most of you are aware of Sonoma Clean Power and its potential to make significant cuts to our local carbon emissions as well as to keep hundreds of millions of dollars a year in our local economy. Now PG&E has managed to get a bill passed in the State Assembly which could sabotage our efforts to take control of our energy supplies.

AB 2145 would undermine Community Choice energy programs throughout California by requiring that public power agencies get customers to opt in before being enrolled. This would effectively allow PG&E and Southern California Edison to maintain their monopoly over our power supplies.

We still have a chance to stop this assault on community choice. The Senate Committee will consider this bill as early as June 23. We need to let our Senators know that we want to protect our right to choose our energy suppliers and to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions. Can you please let everyone you know, particularly those who live in other parts of California, about this? Tell them to visit this website to find out more: https://www.no2145.org.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-04-2014 at 04:22 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Shake

Re: PG&E's threat to public power

Is Sonoma Clean Power "Public Power?" Not sure of their organizational status. Anyone know?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Larry Robinson: View Post
    Most of you are aware of Sonoma Clean Power and its potential to make significant cuts to our local carbon emissions as well as to keep hundreds of millions of dollars a year in our local economy. Now PG&E has managed to get a bill passed in the State Assembly which could sabotage our efforts to take control of our energy supplies.

AB 2145 would undermine Community Choice energy programs throughout California by requiring that public power agencies get customers to opt in before being enrolled. This would effectively allow PG&E and Southern California Edison to maintain their monopoly over our power supplies.

We still have a chance to stop this assault on community choice. The Senate Committee will consider this bill as early as June 23. We need to let our Senators know that we want to protect our right to choose our energy suppliers and to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions. Can you please let everyone you know, particularly those who live in other parts of California, about this? Tell them to visit this website to find out more: https://www.no2145.org.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    jitterbug

Yes - from the Sonoma Clean Power website:

Sonoma Clean Power (SCP) is the new, locally-run electricity provider in Sonoma County. We provide you with the option of using cleaner power at a competitive price from sources like solar, wind, geothermal and hydropower. SCP is a not-for-profit agency, independently run by Sonoma County and the participating cities of Sonoma, Santa Rosa, Cotati, Windsor and Sebastopol.

Do you remember Prop 16? That was rejected by CA voters because it would have made it very difficult - nearly impossible - to start a Community Choice Aggregation power company. Prop 16 was primarily ($44.1 Million in a $44.2 Million campaign) funded by PG & E.

So now we have AB 2145. Once again, it would make it very difficult for Community Choice Aggregation to get started in a community. It feels like we've fought this fight before. I hope our legislators will respond. We need to contact our legislators, but we also MUST contact friends and family in other parts of the state to encourage THEM to contact their representatives as well.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shake: View Post
    Is Sonoma Clean Power "Public Power?" Not sure of their organizational status. Anyone know?
    Last edited by jitterbug; 06-04-2014 at 07:27 PM. Reason: added information

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

7. TopTop #4
    jitterbug

For those of you that prefer to watch a brief video about the issue, here's one created by Sam Euston:

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jitterbug: View Post
    Yes - from the Sonoma Clean Power website:

Sonoma Clean Power (SCP) is the new, locally-run electricity provider in Sonoma County. We provide you with the option of using cleaner power at a competitive price from sources like solar, wind, geothermal and hydropower. SCP is a not-for-profit agency, independently run by Sonoma County and the participating cities of Sonoma, Santa Rosa, Cotati, Windsor and Sebastopol.

Do you remember Prop 16? That was rejected by CA voters because it would have made it very difficult - nearly impossible - to start a Community Choice Aggregation power company. Prop 16 was primarily ($44.1 Million in a $44.2 Million campaign) funded by PG & E.

So now we have AB 2145. Once again, it would make it very difficult for Community Choice Aggregation to get started in a community. It feels like we've fought this fight before. I hope our legislators will respond. We need to contact our legislators, but we also MUST contact friends and family in other parts of the state to encourage THEM to contact their representatives as well.

8. TopTop #5
    BobHeisler

Thank you, Larry. Your post prompted me to write to Sens. Chesbro and Evans, urging them to vote against AB 2145. It took all of five minutes to do and I urge anyone who wants to keep Sonoma Clean Power alive to do so.

Bob Heisler

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Larry Robinson: View Post

9. Gratitude expressed by:

10. TopTop #6
    tommy

I'd be grateful if someone out there could explain why Sonoma Clean Power is superior to PB&E. I've read the great advertisements and concepts of Sonoma Clean Power, and listened to KPFA about the current CA legislative bill to prohibit more agencies like Sonoma Clean Power, but lurking in my mind are these questions:

- given the existing transmission lines, electrical lines & poles bringing power to homes etc, power plants, rooftop solar, etc... isn't Sonoma Clean Power an entity that buys more power from renewable sources, perhaps newer power plants with less emissions... compared to PG&E, which owns some power plants, and evidently supplies electricity that is not as clean?

- Does Sonoma Clean Power buy electricity from nuclear plants owned by PG&E or other utilities?

- Doe not the process where customers move to Sonoma Clean Power, put the cost of paying for and maintaining the PG&E infrastructure of transmission lines, elec lines to homes, etc ... on the back of what may be the dwinding number of PG&E customers?

- isn't Sonoma Clean Power just a shifting of supply sources, rather than providing long term improvement, such as building more renewable sources?

Thank you.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by BobHeisler: View Post
    Thank you, Larry. Your post prompted me to write to Sens. Chesbro and Evans, urging them to vote against AB 2145. It took all of five minutes to do and I urge anyone who wants to keep Sonoma Clean Power alive to do so.

Bob Heisler

11. Gratitude expressed by:

12. TopTop #7
    Woody

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tommy: View Post
    I'd be grateful if someone out there could explain why Sonoma Clean Power is superior to PB&E. I've read the great advertisements and concepts of Sonoma Clean Power, and listened to KPFA about the current CA legislative bill to prohibit more agencies like Sonoma Clean Power, but lurking in my mind are these questions:

- given the existing transmission lines, electrical lines & poles bringing power to homes etc, power plants, rooftop solar, etc... isn't Sonoma Clean Power an entity that buys more power from renewable sources, perhaps newer power plants with less emissions... compared to PG&E, which owns some power plants, and evidently supplies electricity that is not as clean? Yes, SCP buys and can incentivize/develop new clean power sources

- Does Sonoma Clean Power buy electricity from nuclear plants owned by PG&E or other utilities?
    No, no coal, no nuclear

- Doe not the process where customers move to Sonoma Clean Power, put the cost of paying for and maintaining the PG&E infrastructure of transmission lines, elec lines to homes, etc ... on the back of what may be the dwinding number of PG&E customers?

No, we all still pay a PG&E bill and the Transit &Distribution is still paid for by all customers.

- isn't Sonoma Clean Power just a shifting of supply sources, rather than providing long term improvement, such as building more renewable sources? No, visit https://sonomacleanpower.org/faq/ for answers to many of these questions, and also visit the "news" page for the press release about a brand new contract for 30MW of new solar in California.

Thank you.
    Hope my answers above helped. I work for the Climate Protection Campaign, the org that led the effort to get SCP up and running. More info at https://sonomacleanpower.org

13. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

14. TopTop #8

Thank you all for your efforts!
    Tom

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Woody: View Post
    Hope my answers above helped. I work for the Climate Protection Campaign, the org that led the effort to get SCP up and running. More info at https://sonomacleanpower.org