Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    GardenGoddess

The Politics of Gender

I would like to echo the idea that there needs to be a new thread started - possibly in the relationships section. I have been reading most of the posts since my last post, and I have noticed that most people do not even have a clear idea of what women and men are or what sex is. This is possibly because I have a different idea in mind.

When I think of myself, I don't see a sex - I see a person with a life path that I am free to choose. I am not a drink of water in the desert or a person who bestows gifts in the form of sexual favors to persons who rightly guess what I, as a woman, want. I'd rather have a relationship between equals who give to each other willingly and consider that the other person is a human just like themselves.

Men are people, too with the right to choose what they will and won't do, with the free will to decide what their life is going to be about.

I want to be acknowledged as a person, who gets to choose what I will and will not do in my life, not as a member of a sex who is required to - make men not go crazy by occasionally giving in to their demand that I give out sex. (What a crock!) Sex is not a commodity that women dispense, it is a shared experience between willing partners.

I was married once and that didn't work out, because my husband didn't understand that you can't go around belittling people and then expect them to share the most intimate part of themselves with you, it kind of ruins the excitement... There has to be a trust between partners, otherwise why even participate?

I certainly would be willing to participate in a discussion about humans, biology, relationships, if there would be any interest in that.

Re: Carillo - In my book, he is completely without any credibility and should resign. He shows a deep disregard for women as people, since half of his constituents are female, it makes sense that he probably does not have their best interests at heart. Also, if he truly is a narcissist, he may enjoy people endlessly discussing him and his doings.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Thad

Re: Verdict: Carrillo Not Guilty

If your going to start a new thread a real good name would be "The Politics of Gender"

Quote Posted in reply to the post by GardenGoddess: View Post
    I would like to echo the idea that there needs to be a new thread started - possibly in the relationships section....

4. TopTop #3
    Geoff Johnson

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Thad: View Post
    If your going to start a new thread a real good name would be "The Politics of Gender"
    This article might be useful:

"POLITICS, GENDER (Social Science) Gender politics is a multifaceted concept in the social sciences. As a term it is used to refer to a wide range of phenomena, stemming from multiple and even competing meanings of gender and politics. Its definition is further complicated by the emergence of similar and related phrases like women and politics, gender and politics, and the politics of gender. This complexity indicates ongoing conceptual debates within research on gender and politics. At the same time, it reflects theoretical and empirical developments as the study of gender politics has evolved and grown to encompass a broad and heterogeneous set of topics."

https://what-when-how.com/social-sci...ocial-science/

5. TopTop #4
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: The Politics of Gender

Quote Posted in reply to the post by GardenGoddess: View Post
    I would like to echo the idea that there needs to be a new thread started - possibly in the relationships section. I have been reading most of the posts since my last post, and I have noticed that most people do not even have a clear idea of what women and men are or what sex is. This is possibly because I have a different idea in mind....
    Thread Started!

Who's brave enough to dive in?

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #5
    Geoff Johnson

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Thread Started!

Who's brave enough to dive in?
    First, let's define our terms -- which may not be all that easy:

"Several definitions are necessary in order to grasp the scope and content of gender politics as a concept and a field of study. At the most basic level, it is crucial to distinguish between sex, gender, and sexuality. In their most common usages, sex denotes biological differences between men and women as male and female, gender describes the social meanings given to sexual differences through notions of masculine and feminine, and sexuality refers to sexual relations and questions of sexual orientation. However, definitions of all three of these terms, as well as the connections between them, are subject to a great deal of confusion and debate." [emphasis added] https://what-when-how.com/social-sci...ocial-science/

I recently saw sex and gender defined the opposite of the above.
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 05-12-2014 at 12:53 PM.

8. TopTop #6
    Geoff Johnson

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Thad: View Post
    I was going to suggest The Prisoner of Gender, but the book and movie are so old that hardly anyone would get the pun.
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 05-12-2014 at 12:54 PM.

9. Gratitude expressed by:

10. TopTop #7
    GardenGoddess

I think this is the start of something that could be really great! I hope we can look forward to a lively yet peaceful discourse which could prove enlightening to us as human beings.

Currently, I am researching the definitions of the terms given in Geoff Johnson's post. The American Heritage dictionary of the English language has some concise, yet provocative definitions that have been determined, by the criteria of language experts to have entered the English language with enough frequency to be granted an entry in this ponderous and well-researched work.

Rather than use the jargon of an already existing social sciences discipline, I advocate the use of English words that are in use by people who have not had the privilege to attend a class in Women's Studies/Gender Studies - a branch of the social sciences which had it's birth in the 1960s and 1970s (according to Wikipedia) at a time when many women were actively seeking answers to the seeming double standard with regard to male/female expectations within American Society, socially, legally as well as historically throughout much of the world as a whole.

First Definition:

human rights
    The basic rights and freedoms to which all humans are considered to be entitled, often held to include the rights to life, liberty, equality, and a fair trial, freedom from slavery and torture, and freedom of thought and expression. (quoted from the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, online version @ https://ahdictionary.com/

I think that we can agree that all humans deserve to be accorded these basic rights. Societies and governments also recognize that measures must be put into place to deal with those who take actions in an effort to deny another person these rights.