Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Board of Supervisors Unanimously Call for Efren to Resign

The PD's article is here.

Here's the embedded video with Efren's and the other Supervisors comments (starts about 1 min in):

What do you think?

I am particularly interested in hearing from anybody who has changed their opinion since this unfortunate episode began, along with people who supported Efren's re-election and think he should resign (that includes me), and people who didn't vote/support Efren's election, but think he should not resign.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Ted Pole

Re: Board of Supervisors Unanimously Call for Efren to Resign

I find it fascinating that the former Mr. Carillo lauded his own "honesty and candor", which came after months of delays as his attorney sought a deal.

I remain steadfast in my belief that the former Mr. Carillo will continue to hold on to his current job with every 100% natural fiber of his being, as this will be the last time for the foreseeable future in which he will pull down six figures. And he knows this.

4. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ted Pole: View Post
    I remain steadfast in my belief that the former Mr. Carillo will continue to hold on to his current job with every 100% natural fiber of his being, as this will be the last time for the foreseeable future in which he will pull down six figures. And he knows this.
    I agree that it seems he's going to cling to this job, but I doubt that he won't be richly compensated in the future. Even if he resigns or fails to get re-elected he has very valuable political experience and connections. He'll do just fine, as long as he keeps his pants on.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4
    Ted Pole

You could be right, Barry. There are plenty of companies and political organizations who have no qualms about hiring someone like Carillo, under the premise that what he might offer would outweigh the damage he can cause once word got out that he was in their employ. On the other hand, his connections might ultimately dry up if it became worse to be associated with him.

I'm probably wrong, though. After all, the public has an amazingly short memory about these kinds of things. I often wonder whatever happened to the guy who burned down Frizelle-Enos. Once he got arrested he was never heard from again. Did he get committed to a mental hospital? Was he convicted of a crime? Is he back out on the street? There is always some new outrage the public can move on to.

And then there are the countless drivers, who through either intoxication or rage or both, kill pedestrians, cyclists and other drivers, and then disappear, their punishment or lack thereof missing from a public record that had been so outraged at their crimes.

We live in a world, and certainly a county, of bright shiny objects.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I agree that it seems he's going to cling to this job, but I doubt that he won't be richly compensated in the future. Even if he resigns or fails to get re-elected he has very valuable political experience and connections. He'll do just fine, as long as he keeps his pants on.

8. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

9. TopTop #5
    kpage9

excellent point, wisely and calmly put. but "....the FORMER...."???????

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ted Pole: View Post
    I find it fascinating that the former Mr. Carillo lauded his own "honesty and candor", which came after months of delays as his attorney sought a deal.

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #6

oh the holier than thou attitudes of these people!

Have they NEVER done anything that they were ashamed of?
    I'd like to hear from their friends in their youth of THEIR escapades.

Lets face it. Efren was NOT convicted of a crime, he came clean as to his bad behavior, and he is on the road to recovery.
    He was elected to this position and they had better get over it and work with him or it is on THEM!

Those who yell the loudest usually have the most to hide.

Tom

12. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

13. TopTop #7
    foxrosie

I'm wondering if we could have another WACCO-button … one for the opposite of "GRATITUDE". I don't want to go into a whole debate about this. I just want to clearly express my distaste for and disagreement with this sentient. Clearly, and Simply. Perhaps it would show a "thumbs-down" and be labeled "disagree".

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tomcat: View Post
    oh the holier than thou attitudes of these people! ...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 05-12-2014 at 10:37 AM.

14. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

15. TopTop #8
    Victoria Street

So why are you yelling?
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 05-12-2014 at 10:37 AM.

16. TopTop #9
    wisewomn

Well, then, lower your voice, tomcat.

Honestly, I find it pretty amusing that someone with your sobriquet is so eager to dismiss Carrillo's behavior as inconsequential.

Of course, we've all committed youthful follies, but generally speaking, I'll bet they didn't include terrorizing other people, doing it in public, getting arrested, and then denying any responsibility for it by insisting on remaining in the public eye and thumbing one's nose at one's colleagues and constituents.. And I'll reiterate, Carrillo is no kid. He is an adult male.

So speak for yourself, please, when you say that Carrillo's bad behavior is no worse than anyone else's.

Last edited by Bella Stolz; 05-12-2014 at 10:38 AM.

17. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

18. TopTop #10
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Vocabulary Word of the Day
    goes to wisewomn (Barbara Pollack)
    for "
    sobriquet" in her response to "tomcat"

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wisewomn: View Post
    ...Honestly, I find it pretty amusing that someone with your sobriquet is so eager to dismiss Carrillo's behavior as inconsequential....
    (from wikipedia)
    A sobriquet (/ˈsbrɨk/ soh-bri-kay) is a nickname, sometimes assumed, but often given by another. It is usually a familiar name, distinct from a pseudonym assumed as a disguise, but a nickname which is familiar enough such that it can be used in place of a real name without the need of explanation. This salient characteristic is of sufficient familiarity that the sobriquet can become more familiar than the original name. For example, Genghis Khan, who is rarely recognized now by his original name, Temüjin; or Mohandas Gandhi who is better known as Mahatma Gandhi. Well known places often have sobriquets, such as New York City, often referred to as the Big Apple. The term can therefore apply to the nickname for a specific person, group of people or even a place.

19. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

20. TopTop #11
    dzerach

How old is Sonoma County Supervisor Carrillo?

I'd like to hear from their friends in their youth of THEIR escapades. Tom
    Of course, we've all committed youthful follies, but generally speaking, I'll bet they didn't include....

21. TopTop #12
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

This is a really good idea, and one that I've wanted, too...........

Quote Posted in reply to the post by foxrosie: View Post
    I'm wondering if we could have another WACCO-button … one for the opposite of "GRATITUDE". I don't want to go into a whole debate about this. I just want to clearly express my distaste for and disagreement with this sentient. Clearly, and Simply. Perhaps it would show a "thumbs-down" and be labeled "disagree".

22. TopTop #13
    wisewomn

He is 33 years old.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by dzerach: View Post

23. TopTop #14
    Shandi

It might also be true that whatever our "follies" of the past were they actually may have included terrorizing other people and possibly even in public, or not, and may have actually been worse than his crime(s). But more than likely, we weren't caught, or if we were....we may have paid the price, and wouldn't want to bring it up or admit to it, but rather want to put it behind us.

I have committed offenses that could have easily landed me in jail, if I'd been caught. None of them involved any kind of terrorizing, but the crimes would actually be considered worse than Carillo's. If I'd been caught, my life story would look a lot different from inside prison walls.

I've always been thankful not to have been busted, and my intention is to avoid any kind of activity or behavior that might be seen as criminal. At this stage of my life, playing by the rules makes pretty good sense, and I don't have to worry about alcohol or drugs clouding my judgement, as it has the power to do.

I can easily imagine that of the thousands of Wacco community members, there must be some like me, who've committed crimes that were worse than Carillo's, that wish to leave those memories behind. To judge someone else's behavior gives us a feeling of power; to judge our own undesirable (though legal) behavior may bring up feelings of shame or remorse, which isn't very helpful, unless it prompts us to provide "restorative justice".

Well, then, lower your voice, tomcat....
    Last edited by Shandi; 05-13-2014 at 07:26 AM. Reason: misspelling

24. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

25. TopTop #15
    wisewomn

Doubtless there are others with pasts similar to yours, Shandi. That's why I used the word "generally." And kudos for learning from your mistakes. Some people don't.

My experience and observations have convinced me that one cannot learn from one's mistakes until and unless one admits s/he has made them and takes responsibility (the ability to respond) for them. Otherwise, you end up in denial, blaming others, and continue to make them. Sort of like "those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it."

I don't see the point in comparing Carrillo's bad behavior to anyone else's, yours included. (Comparisons are odious and beside the point.) He admittedly has abused alcohol since the age of 15. We do know he was in a barroom brawl in San Diego and not many months later was arrested outside a woman's bedroom window in Santa Rosa. The arresting officer, who had many years of experience, did not believe Carrillo was drunk, but Carrillo used alcohol as an excuse for his behavior. He refuses to own fully that what he has done is a betrayal of the public trust placed in him as a leader and representative of our community.

I don't know about you, but I--probably naively--expect that people who are in positions to make decisions that affect my life will have at least some integrity and maturity. Carrillo has demonstrated neither, IMO. I can wish him well on his journey, however long it takes him (and after 18 years of alcoholism, he's unlikely to overcome it any time soon), but I don't want him in a position to make decisions that affect my life while he's taking that journey, particularly early on.

That he ignores his colleagues' and constituents' calls to resign indicates to me that his arrogance and denial, which got him into trouble, are still firmly in place. He has a long way to go and staying in the position that contributed to his arrogance and poor judgement benefits no one, least of all him.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    It might also be true that whatever our "follies" of the past...

26. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

27. TopTop #16
    Thad

Well said Sometimes I think that Jesus must have been a dire sinner in a past life to understand the depths a person might fall to and still be recoverable. I wonder at all the righteous indignation in how they would fare being scrutinized under the public microscope? Is it so difficult to fathom the the abject humiliation he as already suffered. I can only imagine the punishment suffered by the children of those still screaming for worse punishment.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    It might also be true that whatever our "follies" of the past ...

28. Gratitude expressed by:

29. TopTop #17
    dzerach

Just curious - round 'bout how old would someone need to be to not have this activity prefaced/justified as a youthful escapade or youthful folly? Forty? Thirty? ("On May 6, 2014, the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors censured Carrillo after refusing to resign after his testimony in his peeking trial. Carillo testified that he had broken open a woman's screen window at 3am wearing only his underwear in an attempt to have sex with the victim." - Press Democrat)

I'd like to hear from their friends in their youth of THEIR escapades. Tom
    Of course, we've all committed youthful follies, but generally speaking, I'll bet they didn't include....
    He is 33 years old.

30. Gratitude expressed by:

31. TopTop #18
    wisewomn

I would guess there are many opinions on this one, dzerach. Probably the most common one is age 21 as the entry into adulthood.

Personally, I've always considered the teens to be physical adolescence and most of the 20s to be mental adolescence, so IMO adulthood hits around 28-30 years.

Then there are those people who are determined never to grow up and are inexplicably proud of it.

Just curious - round 'bout how old would someone need to be to not...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 05-13-2014 at 11:22 AM.