Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    helenscott08

Save Money On Cat Litter

Hi Everyone: Recently when I was lucky enough to have found some very nice tile to put in my yard (for free) I was told to be sure and put sand under the tile.

So I went to a landscape place for sand. They have sand at various prices starting with $3.75 for 100 lbs.

Later I began thinking maybe I could use that for cat litter as well, if it would CLUMP. Well, it does. Not quite as much as kitty litter purchased from store but good enough to work quite well and ever so much less expensive than the kitty litter you buy from pet stores.

Just thought I would pass this info on to you.

helen s
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Carl

Re: Save Money On Cat Litter

There is a problem that comes to my mind with using sand as cat litter in your house. If you put the cat poop in the toilet, then the sand will clog up your system. Not good. The commercial variety is some sort of clay/silt, not sand.

On the other hand, if you have a huge yard for dumping this kind of thing then the air will dissipate the odor and the plants will use the nutrients of the poop and then I do not see a problem with using sand.

Carl.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sassydog:
    Hi Everyone: Recently when I was lucky enough to have found some very nice tile to put in my yard (for free) I was told to be sure and put sand under the tile.

So I went to a landscape place for sand. They have sand at various prices starting with $3.75 for 100 lbs.

Later I began thinking maybe I could use that for cat litter as well, if it would CLUMP. Well, it does. Not quite as much as kitty litter purchased from store but good enough to work quite well and ever so much less expensive than the kitty litter you buy from pet stores.

Just thought I would pass this info on to you.

helen s

3. TopTop #3
    helenscott08

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Carl:
    There is a problem that comes to my mind with using sand as cat litter in your house. If you put the cat poop in the toilet, then the sand will clog up your system. Not good. The commercial variety is some sort of clay/silt, not sand.

On the other hand, if you have a huge yard for dumping this kind of thing then the air will dissipate the odor and the plants will use the nutrients of the poop and then I do not see a problem with using sand.

Carl.
    I don't know what other people do but I scoop up the poop and urine and put in plastic bag (from vegetables) and toss in the trash outside. I would never consider tossing any of the cat mess into the toilet. I don't need plugged up toilets. Enough othe problems.

helen s

4. TopTop #4
    dinatekno

Hi all:

I have had cats for over 30 years and the one product I stand by is called Swheat Scoop (https://www.swheatscoop.com/). It's litter that is made from naturally processed, secondary (non-food grade) wheat. It's safe for septic systems and sewers. It clumps perfectly and flushes away with no problem at all. It's econimical as well and lasts a long time. I am not one to advertise, but this stuff is really worth it.I have 3 lady kitties and they all use it without a problem. Just my .02

5. TopTop #5
    helenscott08

Quote Posted in reply to the post by dinatekno:
    Hi all:

I have had cats for over 30 years and the one product I stand by is called Swheat Scoop (https://www.swheatscoop.com/). It's litter that is made from naturally processed, secondary (non-food grade) wheat. It's safe for septic systems and sewers. It clumps perfectly and flushes away with no problem at all. It's econimical as well and lasts a long time. I am not one to advertise, but this stuff is really worth it.I have 3 lady kitties and they all use it without a problem. Just my .02
    THANKS so much for your information. I have never heard of this product and will check it out. I only have one cat but she has a thyroid condition that causes the food she eats to go in one end and almost immediately out the other end. Result, she eats a lot but gets thinner and thinner. I have two cat boxes, side by side and anyone coming in would probably think I had two cats. As soon as I scoop up the box it is not very long afterward that it looks like I had not cleaned it up for a day or so.

Thanks again. That is what I like about these bulletin boards. We can all learn.

helen s

6. TopTop #6
    dinatekno

You are very welcome. I'm glad I could be of help to you.

I discovered it at the Pet Smart in Santa Rosa. But, after going on their website and typing in my zip code, I found a place that sells it about 5 blocks away from my house in Healdsburg. Saves me mucho time.

Be well,
    Dina

7. TopTop #7
    wildflower

The only problem with using this great litter in my house is that my chihuahuas eat it! It is made from wheat and they just can't resist! Just try to tell them it's *non-food grade*!
    wildflower

dinatekno wrote:
    Hi all:

8. TopTop #8
    Moon

I don't know what other people do but I scoop up the poop and urine and put in plastic bag (from vegetables) and toss in the trash outside. I would never consider tossing any of the cat mess into the toilet. I don't need plugged up toilets. Enough other problems.
    helen s

This is a good policy, more importantly for marine life than for the toilet. Cat stools contain the germs for toxoplasmosis, which doesn't affect a human with a normal immune system but is deadly to sea otters and to people with AIDS. Cat stools are killing sea otters, and suppose someone with AIDS takes a dip in the river? The question this really raises for me, though, is: Why is our sewage getting all the way to the ocean without being processed enough to kill the germs?