Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shandi

Like STARBUCKS? They oppose GMO labeling...What do you do now?

I just read that Starbucks is fighting GMO labeling. Then I thought OMG, what will our conscious community members do now? I don't buy coffee out, but the few times I have, I've gone to Starbucks, since Peet's is too strong for me.

Imagine that if you took a stand with thousands of others, it might force Starbucks to reconsider. The only way to get a corporation to take notice is to reach into their pocket, where they can actually feel something.

Appealing to their heart doesn't seem to work that well.

DON'T OCCUPY Starbucks! Find an alternative source that does support GMO labeling, but only if you care.
    If you don't, we'll see you at Starbucks
    Last edited by Barry; 03-29-2014 at 02:30 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #2

Re:Like STARBUCKS? They oppose GMO labeling...What do you do now?

I will BOYCOTT Starbucks, which will be easy, since I almost never buy coffee out, but if I do, I will choose elsewhere.
    I like Peet's decaf, which they have for free at my bank.

Tom

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    I just read that Starbucks is fighting GMO labeling. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 03-29-2014 at 02:32 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    Bryan

Re: Like STARBUCKS? They oppose GMO labeling...What do you do now?

I know Hardcore on Gravenstein Hwy South only sells organic coffee they have roasted for the last 20 years (or more?) up in Washington state.
    We are all looking forward to their new building opening soon...Good luck Molly!

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #4
    dancingstar

I already don't buy Starbucks, but will not buy it even more! Too many lovely local places to support--my favorites: Redwood Cafe and Hardcore. I've even steered out of town family guests to Redwood Cafe who automatically thought they had to find the nearest Starbucks for Wifi. Thanks for sharing Shandi Sandy!

Judy
    Last edited by Barry; 03-30-2014 at 02:39 PM.

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

9. TopTop #5
    spam1

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tomcat: View Post
    I will BOYCOTT Starbucks, which will be easy, since I almost never buy coffee out, but if I do, I will choose elsewhere.
    I like Peet's decaf, which they have for free at my bank.
    Tom
    I don't object to the principal of GMO labeling, but if this law passed, you will find the virtually every product in every store will have the label "might contains GMOs". Why? Because there will be giant penalties for selling something without the label which does have GMO's and there will be no penalty for putting on "might contain GMOs". Except for a very brave organic farmer, no one would take the risk. For example, if you are an organic farmer and you buy organic seed, and it turns out it wasn't organic, or you got some GMO seed, or GMO fertilizer, would you be liable for thousands or millions of dollars in penalties (and how is the penalty accessed, per pound, per stalk of celery?, per store?" And as a grocer, why would you risk putting food without the label when if even one supplier made a mistake (or on purpose) and you got some GMO product, you would get sued.

Remember prop 65? Supposed to reduce toxic items? What happened? Virtually every store in California now has to have a prop 65 label. Because no one would want to risk getting sued. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods just learned this lesson: https://www.foodproductdesign.com/news/2013/05/prop-65-lawsuit-filed-against-trader-joe-s-whole.aspx

Just ask the folks who pushed for labeling of peanut containing products: 94% of labeled food contains no detectable amounts of the allergens labeled. ohttps://www.fsai.ie/news_centre/pres...y28062011.html

The more laws, the less justice.

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #6
    Shandi

Thank you for this enlightening response. I wonder if this is the reason STARBUCKS opposes labeling, or if maybe there's a self interest involved? Can you comment on this?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by spam1: View Post
    I don't object to the principal of GMO labeling, but if this law passed, you will find the virtually every product in every store will have the label "might contains GMOs". Why? Because ....
    Last edited by Barry; 03-30-2014 at 02:40 PM.

12. TopTop #7
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    Thank you for this enlightening response. I wonder if this is the reason STARBUCKS opposes labeling, or if maybe there's a self interest involved? Can you comment on this?
    well, of course there's a self interest involved. That's a pretty common reason for a company to take a position on anything.

But there's a simple and obvious reason for most companies to oppose labeling, and it's such a strong motivation that it would hide any more nefarious one.
    It's a no-win step for them to take. Unless you are trying to differentiate yourselves from other companies by the purported purity of your ingredients, there's no reason that publishing them helps you. At the very least, it's more work and another task you have to do that won't increase your profits - it'll just cost you money. Plus, people who aren't afraid of GMO don't care, and people who are afraid will avoid you. So how exactly is it a benefit to your bottom line? You don't see peanut butter publishing "contains no more than 0.25% rat hairs and bug parts", do you? though I think that the food and drug regulations allow trace elements like that...

13. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

14. TopTop #8
    hawaiianiris

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Bryan: View Post
    I know Hardcore on Gravenstein Hwy South only sells organic coffee they have roasted for the last 20 years (or more?) up in Washington state.
    We are all looking forward to their new building opening soon...Good luck Molly!
    Yeah HardCore. Best place to drink coffee in the west county!

15. TopTop #9
    Victoria Street

I really like Taylor Maid - not only is it local, but I find it delicious! I have to say, though, I'm not crazy about the Barlow location - kind of sterile. But love their coffee...

16. TopTop #10
    Shandi

"Dona Isadora" is my favorite, but it's got a short season, so I been able to get some wonderful coffee from Sprouts in Petaluma, and they always have 3 brewed samples to try. I really like their dark espresso; it's so flavorful and smooth, yet richly deep and satisfying. I think it's about $9 a lb.

And their bakery is to die for. I got 4 freshly baked apple turnovers, (which I hadn't had in years) for $2.99. Yep, $3 for 4 absolutely wonderful tasting, not too sweet turnovers. Their fresh baked cookies are a bargain at $2.99 a dozen. They taste like somebody just baked them. Fresh, soft, and delicious, and several favorite varieties, including gingerbread, cranberry/oatmeal/walnut, choc chip, and macaroons.

I can't say enough about Sprouts. The prices are better or comparable to TJ's, but with a much larger selection of organics, fresh fish/meats, and things you've probably never seen before at prices you won't believe!
    I do understand having a loyalty to a store that you always shop at, but me, I just want to have fun. I told the checker at Sprouts that I'd never had fun grocery shopping until I found Sprouts.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Victoria Street: View Post
    I really like Taylor Maid - not only is it local, but I find it delicious! I have to say, though, I'm not crazy about the Barlow location - kind of sterile. But love their coffee...

17. Gratitude expressed by: