Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: Reflexologist
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    deeniev

Reflexologist

Hello. I am looking for a good relflexologist. I have problems with the circulation in my feet (doctor says not medially related) and as a consequence I have problems sleeping, even with socks. Any references would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I can find a reflexologist that takes Medicare?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-26-2014 at 02:03 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Dixon

Re: Reflexologist

Quote Posted in reply to the post by deeniev: View Post
    Hopefully I can find a reflexologist that takes Medicare?
    Yeeesh! I hope my tax dollars aren't paying for stuff like reflexology! Are they?

4. TopTop #3
    Sabrina

Man that'd be awesome if my tax dollars were going to that, vs. all the other things I disagree with!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    Yeeesh! I hope my tax dollars aren't paying for stuff like reflexology! Are they?

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

6. TopTop #4
    Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sabrina: View Post
    Man that'd be awesome if my tax dollars were going to that, vs. all the other things I disagree with!
    Here is an article that describes what reflexology is and summarizes the few scientific studies testing it. The results of the studies were negative, indicating no validity for reflexology either for diagnosis or treatment, beyond what we'd expect from the relaxing effects of a foot massage. Otherwise, reports of positive outcomes are
    presumably attributable to nonspecific treatment effects such as the placebo effect, the effort justification effect, the please-the-therapist effect, the "post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy", and regression to the mean.

So, as I said before: I hope my tax dollars aren't paying for stuff like reflexology!
    Last edited by Barry; 01-29-2014 at 11:11 AM.

7. TopTop #5
    Sabrina

Just FYI...Quack Buster's appears to be run and owned by a DR. Stephen Barrett, who apparently "has it in" for all kinds of alternative medicine. Your response with that big article tearing apart Reflexology that I've never heard of prompted me to take a little further look on line. Check this out, as shared on the Modern Institute of Reflexology Site: https://www.reflexologyinstitute.com...eflexology.php. Maybe we should all individually be able to chose where our own tax dollars go. That's what I always wished.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    Here is an article that describes what reflexology is and summarizes the few scientific studies testing it. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 01-29-2014 at 11:12 AM.

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

9. TopTop #6
    bill shearer

If "alternative medicine" is shown to be effective it becomes actual medicine. If not it remains quackery.
    Cheers, Dodie

10. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

11. TopTop #7
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sabrina: View Post
    Just FYI...Quack Buster's appears to be run and owned by a DR. Stephen Barrett, who apparently "has it in" for all kinds of alternative medicine. ... Check this out, as shared on the Modern Institute of Reflexology Site: https://www.reflexologyinstitute.com...eflexology.php. .
    I think you could rephrase that to say he "exposes the flaws" in all kinds of alternative medicine.

I'm not sure why you think anything found in the Institute's rebuttal would convince a skeptic. Its only direct response is:
    Quote ...I recently submitted an abstract on the PHOTO-SYSTEMIC-EFFECT to the educational board of the North American Association of Laser Therapy for inclusion into the 2003 Conference. It was rejected. Dr. Juanita Anders, Ph.D., president of NAALT, explained the three reasons the board rejected it
    but she was really nice about it, said there were things she liked, and allowed him to resubmit. Did I miss anywhere else that mentioned support from any scientists or research organizations?

If this is another divide-by-team, with MSM being defined on one side and prejudged as unfair critics, and the RI supporters all mutually supportive and mutually dismissive of MSM on the other side, it seems pointless to discuss its merits. Only when there's a chance to actually sway some critics is an argument worth following.

12. Gratitude expressed by: