Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    knackfordesign

What's the best use for the proposed CVS/Chase property?

Considering that CVS/Chase is NOT the best use of the crossroads site, what is?

Sebastopol is a unique town! It has a town center. It has major road access. It has bus routes all ways. It has all the necessary amenities within walking distance. Grocery stores, pool, library.laundromats, restaurants, venues for entertainment. It has local farms. It has trails, parks, and the open space of the laguna. WOW! All the makings for a sustainable PEDESTRIAN town. What doesn’t it have?

Adequate parking “downtown”. Simple, truly low cost housing. Places. Trees. Benches to encourage people to rest and enjoy without having to purchase anything.

So, how can the center of town be strengthened? How can the most important vacant property be used to best create a town that is healthy? (Getting in a car and driving is not, ultimately, healthy.)

What if the prime corner in town be used for:

ADDITIONAL PARKING- to encourage a pedestrian habitated town. Consider that a lot of the “traffic” in town is simply locals driving around (& around), slowly, looking for a parking place!

HOUSING - Truly innovative. Create residences for potential pedestrians.

PLACES - for people to meet, slow down, and enjoy each other and the town.

I’m concerned/curious that Chase/CVS seems intent on destroying our town - either financially (suing us?, really?) or functionally/aesthetically. Have they asked us what we would like, how they can contribute to the town? Ooooh, what a concept! Sort of like making ammends... The Corporations currently wishing to develop/expand/destroy the awesome potential of Sebastopol could gain favor nation/world wide by supporting and funding the town becoming an example of a truly healthy town of the future.

And if they think that it is a benefit to expedite people picking up their medicines, I imagine that could be facilitated at their current site, perhaps with an employee/runner at the curb....
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #2
    tommy

Re: What's the best use for the proposed CVS/Chase property?

In my opinion the only way the property could support a better use, such as housing, small shops, etc, would be for the City of Sebastopol to support it and finance it. My understanding is that there are some big costs (sewer, paving, sidewalks, planning, architects, public hearings, etc) to upgrade this property. CVS & Chase have the $$ to pay this, as part of a long term development. I think any housing would have to be publicly financed. That is more difficult these days. For example, funding sources have dried up for Burbank Housing, which has built many affordable housing units in Sonoma County over the last 25 yrs with combinations of federal, state and local funding.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by knackfordesign: View Post
    Considering that CVS/Chase is NOT the best use of the crossroads site, what is?

4. TopTop #3
    Orm Embar

Re: What's the best use for the proposed CVS/Chase property?

The biggest "building/infrastructure" type thing I have felt missing is a well-built theater that can seat 500 to 700 people and serve as an upgraded venue for all the amazing artistic talent residing and traveling through here. I'm sure the Community Center has visions . . . the only largish theater that I know of is Analy Theater. That theater is a decent size for seating, but the stage is small and the wings are tiny and there is no functioning "green room". We need a theater!

That sort of building would require more parking, but I would build a 2 or 3 story parking garage on the parking site near Hopmonk before I would create any more parking on new lots downtown.

I disagree that we need more parking. I often see spaces open in one lot while people are idling and waiting for a spot to open in another lot. Rather than more parking lots, I think we all need to be willing to walk 2 blocks and park where there is parking.

. . . .my 2 cents . . .

: )

Quote Posted in reply to the post by knackfordesign: View Post

What if the prime corner in town be used for:

ADDITIONAL PARKING- to encourage a pedestrian habitated town. Consider that a lot of the “traffic” in town is simply locals driving around (& around), slowly, looking for a parking place!

HOUSING - Truly innovative. Create residences for potential pedestrians.

PLACES - for people to meet, slow down, and enjoy each other and the town.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-18-2013 at 10:17 AM.